Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
OK, that's what I thought you were talking about. Can't change the design much, I'll try a material change. Still wondering why there is so much stress through that area. When I broke one here under tension, it took better than 50 lbs. to break it. If there is a shock load, the PLA wouldn't like it. Just might be one of those projects I can't beat with the equipment I've got.
Printer is still down until middle of next week so I can't build anything right now.

Once I get a new one printed, I'll send it to you, so stock up on beer for the next test session. The goal will be to get to 750 cycles or 5 six packs of beer--which ever comes first. After the 3rd six pack, you probably won't know if the thing broke or not.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1516370 by Bpt70gt Once I get a new one printed, I'll send it to you, so stock up on beer for the next test session. The goal will be to get to 750 cycles or 5 six packs of beer--which ever comes first. After the 3rd six pack, you probably won't know if the thing broke or not.

I can just see you loosing count after 4 six packs, and having to start again :-)

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Steven, are you set to do some more testing of this actuator, got beverages? I've got one made from a High Performance, High Temp. PLA. This is the one shown in the picture. Tomorrow I'll print one using a high end PETG. One of these hopefully will survive your torture testing. If not then I gave it the good old try with the equipment that I have.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GT DoorActuator-1.JPG    58.5 KB
GT DoorActuator-1.JPG

GT DoorActuator-2.JPG    66.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Just bought a 12 pack yesterday.... and haven't made a dent in it yet.....
ship it... I'll try it.... Got two door handles sitting on my kitchen table just waiting to do something constructive......

Z

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518244 by Bpt70gt Steven, are you set to do some more testing of this actuator, got beverages? I've got one made from a High Performance, High Temp. PLA. This is the one shown in the picture. Tomorrow I'll print one using a high end PETG. One of these hopefully will survive your torture testing. If not then I gave it the good old try with the equipment that I have.

Hi Bria T,

That looks very good.
What 3D printer do you have?
You might have a lot of request to make that part as a repair kit you know.....

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Martin, I'm using my Creality CR10. There is a possibility a LH & RH kit could be made up. BUT and a big But, only if I'm pretty confident they are strong enough to last for a high number of cycles. I'm using the best material that my printer can handle. I don't have this in my GT6 so I can't do any testing myself so Steven is helping here. He's a construction type guy so he's used to getting a bigger hammer when things don't work or fit right. hot smiley He's already broken one but I expected that with the material I used for the prototype. Now I'm trying the tougher materials. We'll see how Steven does with the next test set.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1518257 by Bpt70gt I don't have this in my GT6 so I can't do any testing myself so Steven is helping here. He's a construction type guy so he's used to getting a bigger hammer when things don't work or fit right.

HEY!!!!! I resemble that remark!!eye popping smiley

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
OK Steven, a new set of actuators is in the box and ready to ship to you. Only problem is getting to the Post Office, snowing like crazy right now with 14" and up expected today. Guess my Triumphs will be in hibernation for a bit longer. Test requests on paper in the box. This is a do or die with this latest effort.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1518696 by Bpt70gt OK Steven, a new set of actuators is in the box and ready to ship to you. Only problem is getting to the Post Office, snowing like crazy right now with 14" and up expected today. Guess my Triumphs will be in hibernation for a bit longer. Test requests on paper in the box. This is a do or die with this latest effort.

Hmmmmm.... time to get another 12 pack???drinking smiley

Z

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
You're going to like the looks of these. COLORS!!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1518787 by Bpt70gt You're going to like the looks of these. COLORS!!

100 tests = 1 beer..... and you want me to do "how many??"..... and notice colors at the same time?? Methinks you're asking a lot..... but I'll try my best!!

(Gotta go find my big hammer, right?)

Z

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Yes, the big hammer BUT ONLY if you make a video of opening your daughters little Spitfire door using the same big hammer. I'd prefer you sit in front of the TV with a cold one and pull the door lever, say 4 beers worth. .

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1518799 by Bpt70gt Yes, the big hammer BUT ONLY if you make a video of opening your daughters little Spitfire door using the same big hammer. I'd prefer you sit in front of the TV with a cold one and pull the door lever, say 4 beers worth. .

That's funny as it is relevant...... After replacing the hinges, check straps, and re-aligning everything..... I had to stress to my daughter that she doesn't "slam the doors shut"..... She has to "push them closed".....

Z

RochierJ James Rochier
Bellevue, NE, USA   USA
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Gemma"
If someone had said a thread about wear testing a door handle control rod could be entertaining....

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's what's fun about this site, we get to share experiences and have some fun too.

Steven, a package of 4 actuators went in the mail this morning heading your way. Have fun testing but be conscious enough to give me some coherent feed back.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster