AutoShrine Sponsor

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
I sure would like to have a bp of that part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 06:03 PM by roncohudd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
roncohudd Avatar
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
I sure would like to have a bp of that part

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
And you shall receive--Tuesday.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Jerry, Tony, Ron-- I can export this drawing to most any file format, what do you all prefer? This will be an interesting part. Notice the head is offset to the main shaft, plus the material sizes are odd. Didn't matter for an injection molded part but makes machining a bit more of a challenge. Shaft diameter .306 and head thickness is .210. ---interesting.

Attachments:
GT6 MK3 door actuator-490.jpg    30.9 KB
GT6 MK3 door actuator-490.jpg

roncohudd Avatar
Muenster, TX, USA   USA

roncohudd Avatar
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
Thinking maybe delrin would be sufficient.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I sure would like to get a second run edition of that product..... considering I spent almost 15 minutes taking pictures and sending a video... LOL....

Z

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Steven, you want a drawing too? You could cut the part off the sheet of paper and paste it into your door mechanism and it would look nice!!! The one metal one I plan make is allocated to the donor of the part I was able to use to model it up. But since I'm a Triumph enthusiast, and your pictures were a big help, IF---IF I can successfully make them from nylon on my printer then I can see it in my heart to print you a set. It's a big IF because printing with nylon is more difficult and not always predictable as to quality.

Oh why-o-why do I do these things, I don't even have a car that uses these parts!!!!!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Don't need a drawing... wouldn't know what to do with it other than frame it... LOL....

You guys are way, way advanced for me...... Good Luck!!!

Z

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
If you could send an STL file for my use later that would be great. racer490@verizon.net You also have to remember these things are handed also.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Will do Jerry, you'll get the STL later today. Sounds like you are contemplating the purchase of a 3D printer. It opens up a new world. I have a note on the drawing that the RH is a mirror image to the LH. I didn't create a separate drawing for a right hand actuator. Figured the LH actuator was the more frequently needed one since it gets used on the car far more often. Modeling the RH from the LH one I modeled is just a couple clicks on CAD program.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1513176 by Bpt70gt Steven, you want a drawing too? You could cut the part off the sheet of paper and paste it into your door mechanism and it would look nice!!! The one metal one I plan make is allocated to the donor of the part I was able to use to model it up. But since I'm a Triumph enthusiast, and your pictures were a big help, IF---IF I can successfully make them from nylon on my printer then I can see it in my heart to print you a set. It's a big IF because printing with nylon is more difficult and not always predictable as to quality.

Oh why-o-why do I do these things, I don't even have a car that uses these parts!!!!!

Thx for the offer... but I'm good.... In fact - I realize I won't have a use for extras either.... My daughter loves her black spitfire (blk-bry) - but has plans for a different color scheme down the road... when it happens... I'll have to buy new chrome handles instead of my current black ones.... (daughters.... pffffftttttt)

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Da_n!!! Got the driver's door redone - tight, no drips, no runs, no errors (so to speak)....

Dropped it off at the upholstery shop and took back the passenger door to work on those innards......

First thing I noticed - the part we've been going round and round on is broken - the eye at the end is gone.... Bahhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Good news is - the handle still works as all the pressure from the handle is pushing the rod instead of pulling it.... Bad news is - I refuse to put my door cards back on till it's fixed properly....

Unless ya'll are really successful - I've got to buy an entire handle assembly for that one stupid part.... Pfffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttt........ and since we will eventually be repainting - it means buying two of them in chrome (I've got black now).... Aaaaargggg.... The Money Spit.....

Z

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
From others that have chimed in, the door latches still seem to work broken or not If the mechanism is cleaned and lubed. But to your point, it's too bad to go as far as you have and then have to either buy new assemblies at significant cost or put in known broken ones and waiting for the day it doesn't work anymore. Do it right for your daughter!!!!

I still wonder if there is much of a market for these little gems.

A number of the ones showing up on ebay clearly show broken--not all but...... and they are asking a lot for broken assemblies.

I'm going to see if I can print one in nylon but since I don't use them in my car, it's not exactly on my fast track list.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
FWIW:

You're right - it works even with the eye missing..... The door handle pushes on the C-clip that holds the spring in place - making the unit work.... I'm not an engineer - but I would think that - if that C-clip were right against the door handle - it would relieve all pressure on that eye - making it more or less redundant....

At some point in time - that shaft is going to come out of position - and the door won't work...... So it's "pay me now - or pay me later"... doing it now keeps me from removing the door card yet again - ruining the beautiful clips supplied with my new upholstery...

FWIW: So, I've been looking for solutions... and, as you're aware - no one has that part available..... You either buy the entire door handle assembly - or you don't open your door..... TRF - $180 for a single assembly..... Spitbits - $279 for the pair (rh and lh)..... Moss - $299.99 for the pair......As this seems to be a relatively fragile part - and would seem be in relative demand.... Mebbe it would be financially feasible..... I know I'd pay a premium not to have to replace my entire unit (what a waste)

Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-15 04:01 PM by TheZster.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster