Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Canley are the only ones I know of that did/do; they still show alloy wheel hubs "available to order" https://www.canleyclassics.com/suspension-steering-and-brakes/alloy-front-hubs/ but you'd have to contact them. Maybe post back here with the news for others to know. You'll still need to have them drilled, so definitely more economical to do what I did; again, you can check my Journal.

As for engine swap, there is lots to read. The Miata is a fair bit wider than the Spit, so I think any hassles you may save will be doubled at some point (just my opinion). There was a guy who started a similar feat on British V8 and we haven't heard from him in over a year. http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?3,30104,page=3

Once I get the car back in spring I'll have to do a speaker mock-up, but sounds good, thanks.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poppabear Poppa B
Briceville, TN, USA   USA
I bought one of those "After Market" electric window kits, and have been looking at
where/how to mount the drive motor. I really do not relish trying to tack it, and mounts
inside the door body. So, I was considering perhaps like an "Arm Rest" type of an
idea that would sit on the surface of the door panel, in where I could hide the motor
inside it and run the drive chain also on the outside of the door panel to the window
crank, also perhaps in the arm rest that would curve up to the crank spline.
Has anyone done, or seen an "Arm rest" or electric window setup on a spit?
If so, got a link?

On another note, I want to put in electric door locks as well, but I noticed that
the manual lock/unlock lever on the inside door handle (both sides), does not
lock or unlock the door latch. (yes I am new to spitfires), Does this mean,
I should replace the door latch mechanism? I have also tried manually flipping
the lock catch in the door latch, and pulling/pushing the interior lock rod.
It will not unlock, or lock.

poppabear Poppa B
Excited,
I just got the email, that my Park Lane seats covers and foams have started the process or getting to me via UPS!! From what I understand (if I do). I think the "Card-board" cushion forms come with it. I have my "Seat Heaters" that I got from Amazon sitting and waiting for the seat rebuild stuff to arrive! I hoping it all gets here by mid-Feb to get my sad-looking seats fixed!!

BTW: on a completely OTHER note....
What do I do to "Flush/Clean" my coolant system (more specifically) the heater core.
My core is not really putting out that much heat, so I am thinking it is partially clogged/corroded internally.
I have a new heater valve so I know hot water is getting to it.
Is there a "Chemical" I can add to my radiator fluid that would dissolve internal clogs/corrosion? Or, do
I need to bring it to a Pro radiator shop for that kind of stuff?

Scott

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1511879 by poppabear

I fitted a 'T' to the heater hose and disconnected the hose on the otherside of the heater. Flushing with a garden hose removed a lot of crud.

I have also used CLR to clean heater cores after they have been removed from the car. I guess you could arrange this, in the car, with a gravity feed.

poppabear Poppa B
Thank you for your time and wisdom!

Scott

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here, but just to clarify a few bits. The Miata drivetrain is ideal for these cars, but does involve a bit of work to make it happen. You can easily remove the body from the frame of a Spitfire, but you can't put it on a Miata chassis as the Miata is a unit body. The pictures you have seen on the web of the Miata chassis are just the powertrain and as Steve points out, the track is wider so it won't really work on a Spitfire.

The best solution is to pull the body off the Spitfire frame and then do the modifications to the Spitfire frame to fit the engine, transmission and modify the rear suspension for a stronger differential (the R160 swap that has been discussed). Do all of this work and the results are a Triumph Spitfire with much more power, but retaining the Spitfires looks and handling since the suspension is still Triumph. Here is my chassis with the modifications listed.

Not going to sugar coat it, it is a lot of work, but the results can be really sweet. Steve is a "pioneer" of this conversion, so his web site has great advise. I have tracked my build on the Grassroots site below if you want to read more about what is involved.

Spitfire MK4 "rat rod"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Use care with the lime remover. It can produce a massive amount of caustic foam and toxic gas.

poppabear Poppa B
Whoop, Whoop,

My Parklane seats and foams came in today,
now to work on those ratty seats!!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512479 by poppabear Whoop, Whoop,

My Parklane seats and foams came in today,
now to work on those ratty seats!!

Cool! Pictures of them fresh out of the box!

I've heard it's easier to put a plastic bag over the foam so the seat skin slides on easier. If the foam is already wrapped in plastic....

poppabear Poppa B
Foams not in plastic, but I will make them so...
I will get up some pics of how it came in the box, etc.
There are instructions (printed pages), I do wish he had
a "How To" video for better clarity, but, I will go slow and
try and figure it out. Might take me a bit, doing a lot of
"Pay the Bills" work lately that is taking precedence.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512663 by poppabear Might take me a bit, doing a lot of
"Pay the Bills" work lately that is taking precedence.

Meanwhile I just had a bit of wind here knock a bunch of palm fronds out of the tree.

Big clippers and lots of bags.

Every time it happens my first thought is to make a tiki bar.

Peter-K Peter K
Central, ME, USA   USA
I put a Pioneer double-din one in my Tundra, changed to all 4 Polk marine grade 6-1/2" speakers and component tweeters up front only, yup backup camera, Sirius XM and I added an 8" under seat (of my Tundra, but it's flat-ish) Kenwood sub-woofer. It fills in the bass, not boomy at ALL. Highly recommended and I plan to put the same sub in my TR.

Nice job on yours. My loves are cars and music!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I used to have speaker boxes from a boom box in the rear deck behind the seats but they melted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links