Distributor Wobble

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
I have bee doing my reading but a little unsure if i need to fix the side to side wobble the dizzy has. Maybe 1/16" side to side.

I have a 1980 w electronic ignition so the wobble doesn't affect timing as far as i can tell.

OK to just live with it ? A way to lubricate it?

How hard to replace the bushing if i need to?

Thanks,
Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Are you talking about 'play' on the shaft within the distributor, or play of the distributor on it's pedestal.

If you have 1/16 on the shaft, that is a lot! It would mean the points could likely be open or closed at any time (if you had points)

Replacing shaft bushing is not too difficult. Suitable oil lite bushings can be purchased at your FLAPS.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Bill,
1/16" wobble at the rotor is rather a lot. But you don't have much choice except replacing the dizzy. Lubricate the shaft by removing the rotor and putting a few drops of motor oil in the hollow end of the shaft. While there look at the base plate inside the distributor and add a few drops to the holes marked there also. The bottom of the dizzy should get a teaspoonful of oil through one of these holes. This should be part of the scheduled maintenance, just like changing the oil and filter. Neglecting it over the years has caused the wobble you have found.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Pictures would help.

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Lucas or Delco?

Dennis smiling smiley

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1507026 by spitfire50 Bill,
1/16" wobble at the rotor is rather a lot. But you don't have much choice except replacing the dizzy. Lubricate the shaft by removing the rotor and putting a few drops of motor oil in the hollow end of the shaft. While there look at the base plate inside the distributor and add a few drops to the holes marked there also. The bottom of the dizzy should get a teaspoonful of oil through one of these holes. This should be part of the scheduled maintenance, just like changing the oil and filter. Neglecting it over the years has caused the wobble you have found.
All the best,
Paul

What is wrong with re-bushing the dizzy Paul?

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
In reply to # 1507038 by Tonyfixit
All the best,
Paul

Tony,
Nothing wrong with re-bushing, but wear between the upper shaft and the lower shaft won't be fixed.
All the best,
Paul

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
If it's a 1980 US spec 1500, and the distributor is original, then it's likely to be a Lucas 45DM4, with an external AB14 coil switching module. I would be surprised if there's significant wear in the shaft/bushing, as there's no contact breaker to impart a side load onto the shaft. If it's a converted points distributor with an aftermarket ignition module, then all bets are off - it may well need a new shaft and bearings. New points type distributors are available, but then most of them are Chinese copies......

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1507053 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1507038 by Tonyfixit
All the best,
Paul

Tony,
Nothing wrong with re-bushing, but wear between the upper shaft and the lower shaft won't be fixed.
All the best,
Paul

In my experience most wear occurs at the shaft bushings and to some degree the shaft itself. Yes there can be wear between the upper and lower sections if the dizzy has been neglected, but the wear/movment here is insignificant compared to the main shaft, which is turning at half engine speed.

Electronic ignition pretty well negates the effects that shaft wear has in timing, but 1/16 is a lot and should be addressed.

It would be a shame to dump a good distributor for the sake of $4 worth of bushings

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
It is an original lucas dizzy. It has the petronix replacement module.

ok -- 1/16"? maybe 1/32" Obvious play if you rock it side to side. (the whole dizzy not just the inner shaft)

I have oiled it but those bottom holes will get into that area? No where near a teaspoon just a few drops.

I had read if the bracket hold down was put on upside down that that could be a cause. How do you know if its upside down. i have never removed it.

Thanks

Bill

1980 Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 11:18 AM by poulsbobill.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Again, Are you moving the distributor body as a whole, or the shat inside the distributor?

I would not worry if the body moved that much.

There should be instructions on lubing the dizzy in your manual. But if it is worn, oiling it now won't help you.

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507094 by poulsbobill

ok -- 1/16"? maybe 1/32" Obvious play if you rock it side to side. (the whole dizzy not just the inner shaft)

Oiling will keep it from getting worse though. Just trying to understand the severity of the problem or lack of it.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 07:58 PM by poulsbobill.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Sounds like there is no problem then.

Tha acid test is, there is no timing scatter. Something that is drastically reduced by EI anyway :-)

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
It sounds like it's the whole distributer moving, not just the shaft. Then all is well.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
In reply to # 1507174 by Falkon It sounds like it's the whole distributer moving, not just the shaft. Then all is well.

Al,
I wouldn't say all is well if the whole distributor is moving. Either the pedestal isn't bolted down right or the dizzy isn't clamped to the pedestal right.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster