GT6 rear wishbone trunion layout ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
They didn't LOOK obviously ground down, but they must have been.

My head scratcher is this...

Upright width: 3" ( actually, 2-31/32" )

Wishbone With trunion caps in place: 3-1/8"

That means I only have 1/8th of an inch of play to slide in between the trunion caps, if my math is right. If the upright WAS still 3.205" , it would be wider and I'd have to some how compress the caps while shoving the upright in. But... It seemed I had plenty of room, last weekend. I need to measure things again, on Sat. We got the new bolts today, so it should go together, one way on another.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
It is not uncommon for the trunnion bolts to have to be cut, in order to remove the trunnion.

I guess it is possible that in doing this metal was removed that needed to be compensated for by installing spacer washers.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, Now you know you have a problem, yes, you can solve it by placing a washer in there.
I would try to get one on each side, but then again I'm a little annul, so just get the slack out and away you go.
Tony, I'm sure you are right, as we both know it's a tight fit.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
VitesseEFI Avatar
VitesseEFI Nick Jones
Yeovil, Somerset, UK   GBR
There are (at least) two variants of the vertical links. The earliest and relatively rare ones (I think) DO have thick washers each side.

They can easily be identified by not having increased diameter pads to support the trunion bushes as that job is done by the washers.

Both types appear in the pic - not as clear as it could be - it wasn't the original point of the picture.

Width of the early type with the right washers should be the same as late type.

Damage to the pads on the late ones is common.

Nick

Attachments:
feb 010.jpg    46.1 KB
feb 010.jpg

JohnW63 John Williamson
Here is a shot of ours.Not the best shot to identify as it was supposed to be a progress " What did you do to your GT6 today ?" post. Obviously, the trunion caps are already in place.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, from what I can see, that all looks right.
Did the new bolt slide in OK?
Nick, was taking about a different one than I have never seen, so maybe there were variations, I just never saw one in the 50 years of working on them. For that matter, we learn something every day, if we pay attention. LOL
You are doing a great job and the attention to detail will keep things right and safe.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

JohnW63 John Williamson
Were going to go work on it, in a few minutes. I'll report back, later today.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I looked at the surfaces of the upright and they looked pretty straight and machined, not ground down or cut, that I could see. If someone did alter them, they did a very good job. Each side was exactly the same. I found I could put one of the "came with the car parts" washers on the space between the front wishbone arm and the upright, but I could not quite get the same size washer in the back, so I slid in a slightly thinner one. Once bolted together it all seemed tight. The new bolts worked much better. We still had to take some flexable sand paper to the last inch or so of one bolt, that didn't have a dead smooth finish to it. Once that was done, the sleeve fit on nicely. All the time fighting what turned out to be a couple of bad bolts, last weekend , now , seems even more of a waste. If I had known it could happen to bolts.

If you look closely, you can see the washers next to the inner trunion covers.

VitesseEFI Avatar
VitesseEFI Nick Jones
Yeovil, Somerset, UK   GBR
That pic also shows that you have the early version of the links without the pads to bear against the trunnion bushes that I referred to earlier. These do need washers (3mm / 1/8" usually IIRC).

Nick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster