Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Wondering if the rear mounting location for the 67-70 MK3 bumper corners are the same as the one piece 72 MK4 one piece? I've been running no rear bumper and like the look, but like the older 2 piece bumpers and thought about installing the 2 piece.

Just because we can, does not mean we should.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
David, not unless you are willing to cut some holes and you can get all the braces.
Now that said, how good are you at welding. You can make all the braces fit on to your one hole on each side of the rear and the one on the side. Saying something can't be done on these cars, is never a good thing to say, as all kinds of innovations have been done.
I would be guilty of a few.
You need a couple to play with? LOL

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Hi David,
It's doable. Here's a picture of a squaretail with the earlier bumpers. I kind of like the looks of them. If you decided to try you can come over and we can use my MIG welder. Wayne, do you have a picture of the braces needed?
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1973_Triumph_Spitfire_MkIV_Red_frank_m_001.jpg    55.3 KB
1973_Triumph_Spitfire_MkIV_Red_frank_m_001.jpg

sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
I'd for sure have to change the single exhaust tube to at least 2 to balance it out. The 4 look cool though.

sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
Wayne, I would be interested in some.

In reply to # 1505713 by trrdster David, not unless you are willing to cut some holes and you can get all the braces.
Now that said, how good are you at welding. You can make all the braces fit on to your one hole on each side of the rear and the one on the side. Saying something can't be done on these cars, is never a good thing to say, as all kinds of innovations have been done.
I would be guilty of a few.
You need a couple to play with? LOL

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, Didn't know David was in your area. No chance for you out of the box thinkers.
I'm pretty sure I have a set of rear ones, with brackets. I will try and get them from the warehouse tomorrow. It's got to get warmer, at lest to the freeze mark.
I'll see how good they are before I set a price, they might be gold plated!!!!.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
David, if Wayne doesn’t have a set I do. I only know that one side (left I think) on all three sets of mine are bent. How does that happen... I don’t know. I don’t have any of the inner bracketry. Just bumpers. Kyle.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
AAAARg... Looking for a 78 rear bumper- or anything earlier that will fit and look good.... then I see this post.... I LOVE the look of the RH and LH bumpers with nothing between..... Whyforhowcome I don't live close enough to ya'll to take advantage of your expertise and largesse...... Poor Zster....

LOL

Z

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
In reply to # 1505739 by trrdster Doug, Didn't know David was in your area. No chance for you out of the box thinkers.
I'm pretty sure I have a set of rear ones, with brackets. I will try and get them from the warehouse tomorrow. It's got to get warmer, at lest to the freeze mark.
I'll see how good they are before I set a price, they might be gold plated!!!!.

Wayne, yeah, David is in the area. I think I'm a bad influence. smiling smiley

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
David, Don't know the condition of the ones I have, but I doubt they are any where close to these.
Not a bad price and close to you. Will still look at mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Triumph-Spitfire-Rear-Bumper-With-Mounting-Brackets-and-Over-Riders/222727175137?hash=item33db92fbe1:g:1BIAAOSwH-daE2MI&vxp=mtr

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Guys, this is what I have. The uprights are different sizes, but not something you need for this conversion.
Only one bracket, but it could be reworked to hold both in place.
Not good chrome, fair, work it until you are sure then get re chromed.
Anyway should be worth $30 plus shipping for the corners and one bracket. I will make sure they are the same and opposite sides. Just not today, wind chill 15.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Attachments:
CIMG0110.JPG    64.8 KB
CIMG0110.JPG

CIMG0111.JPG    55.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
I'll pm you.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Well, that takes care of that, Thanks David.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
Yes, with a little fabrication and a good friend...thanks Doug...the round tail bumpers will go on a square tail. Thanks again Wayne for finding them and getting them here so quickly.

Attachments:
IMG_20180120_125539679_HDR.jpg    50.5 KB
IMG_20180120_125539679_HDR.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
David,
Looks good. If you want to close those extra holes temporarily you can polish some stainless carriage bolts, or buy chrome bumper bolts. Google "Chrome bumper bolts" you'll get plenty of places to buy them.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster