AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"
Ive been trying for a few hours now to get the head off the block, i was able to get a puddy knife carefully around 3 sides but the exhaust side wont even let me get the tip in. Tried rubber mallet, pb blaster, heat, wont move. any tricks? The cylinder head studs dont come out, right?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
See if you can double nut the studs. They should come out.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Of course the studs can come out.

I usually use the two nut method, put on two stud nuts tight up agaist each other, then undo the lower nut.

Another method is to wrap the stud end with leather and use vice grips on the stud.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
It should come off with the studs in place. You could try cranking it with the rockers off and plugs in. The compression may break it loose. You could also use a wood chisel carefully tapping it in between the head and the block. Don’t go too far in though you don’t want to scratch the surface. If those thing don’t work you can always thread rope into a cylinder and turn the motor with a breaker bar.

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
There is also the string method. Feed 1 & 2 cyls with as much string as you can, then turn the engine over to TDC.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505449 by Tonyfixit There is also the string method. Feed 1 & 2 cyls with as much string as you can, then turn the engine over to TDC.

String??

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Don't ever use a chisel made of metal.
I'll show you a picture of a head with a corner of cast iron broken out by somebody (no, not me!) that thought that would work.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 04:27 PM by grubscrew.

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"
Got all the studs but 3, gonna let the pb blaster sit for a day. Picked up an engine for 100$ ill be back for more help im sure!

Thanks!
Spoon

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
As stated, double nut the remaining studs and get them out...it's usually the studs that are holding it up.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505441 by spoon12342002 Ive been trying for a few hours now to get the head off the block, i was able to get a puddy knife carefully around 3 sides but the exhaust side wont even let me get the tip in. Tried rubber mallet, pb blaster, heat, wont move. any tricks? The cylinder head studs dont come out, right?

The "string" mentioned upthread should be "rope". I use clothesline. You rotate the engine until the piston is rising and pack rope into the spark plug hole. You turn the crank BY HAND which raises the piston which pushes up on the rope into the head from below. You'll hear it when it lets go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 06:41 PM by Doug in Vegas.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
In reply to # 1505454 by grubscrew Don't ever use a chisel made of metal.
I'll show you a picture of a head with a corner of cast iron broken out by somebody (no, not me!) that thought that would work.

I did say “ carefully tapping it”. That’s how I got mine off.

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Ha! OK Ernie, but personally I still don't recommend even trying!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

cheesegrits Avatar
cheesegrits Lewis W
Hills of North Georgia, GA, USA   USA
I have better luck with deep creep rather than pb or wd.
If the studs just wont move I mix 50% acetone and 50% transmission fluid. Let it sit overnight and if its going to move this will usually do it.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
In reply to # 1505472 by grubscrew Ha! OK Ernie, but personally I still don't recommend even trying!

I’ve done a lot of things that people don’t recommend. But I do usually use caution. Happy new year Dave. Maybe some day we will actually meet. We have both been here a while. Do you have any idea what happened to Foxtrapper?

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 06:44 PM by rhodyspit75.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Ernie,
Yeah, it would be great to catch up with you someday!

The last I saw foxtrapper was about 3 years ago (?) at a local show. He seems to have disappeared...I don't know if he's even still living in town here.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links