installing usb/cig in triumph spitfire

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
have 1972 triumph spitfire i want to unstall a usb in car 4 a phone charger i bought this on ebay
12V-Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Power-Adapter-Charger-Outlet it has the cig ,voltmeter and usb ports . it seems like in the back of the unit there are 2 spade connectors for each part 2 for usb 2 for voltmeter and 2 for cig . so i asume that since there are 2 contacts on each part that each one is its own entity having its own power and ground wire to attach to the back of device.this is what was thinking , tell me if this is correct.install device into dash somewhere and run on cig part a 12 guage power wire straight to the fusebox( i have on car extra fusebox that currently only has the fuel pump wire going to it via relay )
and find a good groung , on the other two i bought a terminal block as i think it would be a neater install . so was going to run a power wire from volt meter to terminal block and a good ground with another wire then do the same with usb run seperate wire to terminal block then run a wire from terminal block to fusebox to power both usb and voltmeter .. is this correct or do run each power wire to its own fuse and find 3 seperate grounds and what amp fuse would i need 4 the cig part i was thinking 20 amp thanks Van

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Pictures, else it didn't happen.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Didn't it come with instructions?

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
A picture would be nice!

I see no reason why all the grounds should not go together to one ground. Ground is ground.

As for power, you might want to run differant fuses for differant functions depending on what you intend to power. The USB jack would be very low rated, an actual cigarette lighter quite high.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Van,
It would help to have a link to the eBay listing. I think I found the thing anyway though. 20 amps is the limit for the lighter socket, but that is also dependent on the size wire you use to connect it to power and ground. You don't have to feed each item separately, the wire to feed the lighter socket can be split to feed the USB ports and the volt display. You do have the option of having the USB (say) on a fuse that is live all the time and the lighter socket on a fuse that is ignition switch controlled. If you fuse the USB ports separately I suggest the fuse size be 5 amp max, if you can find a smaller one down to about 3 amps that should work too. The voltage display can be connected to any convenient wire for the positive side. I suspect it will only draw a few milliamps or maybe even microamps, so being on all the time shouldn't matter. You can connect all of the grounds together and go to one good ground point. That wire has to be big enough to handle the current of the lighter socket fuse, otherwise it will melt before the fuse blows.
All the best,
Paul

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
12 ga is good for 20 amps.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1505473 by grubscrew 12 ga is good for 20 amps.
This is handy and more comprehensive.
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/402541/file-3878850085-jpg/blog-files/wire-gauge-guide.jpg?t=1513264570767
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
It should be noted that on modern cars the cigar lighter tuns off when the key is off.

On older cars the cigar lighter is powered even without the key.

Older cars like ours were made when everyone smoked. Imagine in 78 you are waiting as a passenger in a Spitfire and you're dying for a cigarette and you have to wait until the driver comes back before the lighter works.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
I installed one in Huxley and two in Tiny Tim. The one I got for Huxley came from Summit Racing. It came with a USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. The ones for Tiny Tim came from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

You can get the plug-in USB adapters from many sites on the internet.

Joe

Attachments:
20180101_182905.jpg    34.6 KB
20180101_182905.jpg

20180101_182955.jpg    44.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1505483 by Doug in Vegas It should be noted that on modern cars the cigar lighter tuns off when the key is off.

On older cars the cigar lighter is powered even without the key.

Older cars like ours were made when everyone smoked. Imagine in 78 you are waiting as a passenger in a Spitfire and you're dying for a cigarette and you have to wait until the driver comes back before the lighter works.

Or you are a twelve year old kid and use it to light firecrackers when your mom hides the matches.....

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1505484 by spitlist I installed one in Huxley and two in Tiny Tim. The one I got for Huxley came from Summit Racing. It came with a USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. The ones for Tiny Tim came from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

You can get the plug-in USB adapters from many sites on the internet.

Joe

Or even the local supermarket.

I mounted a power outlet (cigarette lighter seems so 70's) in the glove box. One of these adaptors powers/charges my tablet or whatever.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1A-Car-Charger-Dual-USB-Port-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-Voltage-Quick-Charge-Ex/391936919919?hash=item5b4142c96f:g:rSAAAOSwy~BaIAHI

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Haven't gotten it yet I'll let you know when I get it just trying to figure this out before it gets here

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Do you really intend to use the cigar lighter as a lighter or just a power socket for other uses? You can do what I did and just through the lighter plug into the leftover parts bin with a tag a use the port for power a cell phone charger and such. The wiring needed is going to depend on what you use it for or might use it for. I just left the original wiring on mine so it is still good for a lighter but I will never use it that way. There are many options out there today.
Dan

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
It might be worth noting that some accessories that require a lot of power (like GPS units) don't work well on USB ports. I learned this when I had issues trying to power my Magellan from my USB adapter. When I contacted the company, they told me to use the cigarette lighter adapter and it hasn't given me any problems since. Apparently the USB adapters don't supply as much power as the cigarette lighter socket does.

Joe

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster