TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

How to find a good home for my Spitfire?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Qmulus Steve Eiche
Arvada, CO, USA   USA
I have been storing my '79 for years, amassing restoration parts along the way. I have finally come to the conclusion that I am likely never going to have the time to build it into what I intended years ago. I know that I could part it out on ebay and get more out of it, but stupid sentimental me wishes that I could find it a home with someone that would restore it. I do NOT want to "give" it away, then have that person part it out. This is a project that won't take a lot of money to complete, but will take time, which I don't havw. Ideally, I would like to find someone who could trailer it away and restore it.

The Good:
  • NO RUST!, well, the bottom of the battery box has some, but everything else is great. It is a CA, UT, CO car, so it has never been exposed to salt.
  • It is complete
  • Overdrive
  • 1k or less on new clutch
  • LOTS of new parts. Basically, I amassed a bunch parts to put it back together after paint.
  • Euro H4 headlights
  • four into one header

The Bad:
  • It needs a re-ring job so it is NOT drivable. It has good oil pressure and the thrust bearings are in place, so no "death rattle". What has the car sitting is that it loses compression after running for a short time. When running, it sounds good. The fuel pump diaphragm leaked gas into the oil, which (I assume) washed down the cylinders and took out the rings. Leakdown is 40% pretty much across all cylinders... It happened quite quickly. I went through EVERYTHING external, including the ignition, carburation, intake, exhaust, etc. This is what is keeping it from being a driver.
  • The paint is bad and it will need a complete repaint.
  • It has a few dings, but no big dents.
  • The seat upholstery is bad. It was NOS with new seat foams, but I left it in the car and it just degraded over the years sitting. Would be great for patterns as it was pretty poor quality even when new.

Parts:
  • Hardtop. Dip stripped and epoxy primed. Just needs paint.
  • New Weber DGV carburator kit
  • Complete Euro dual SU carb setup with manifold, carbs, air cleaners, brackets, etc.
  • Lots of powder coated parts. Brake and clutch master brackets, sway bar brackets, complete soft top frame with custom machined Nylatron bushings, more.
  • NOS tounneau cover, with a couple of used ones that need snaps or zipper repair.
  • Misc. engine gaskets
  • New visor set
  • New door window seals
  • Lots of other misc. engine parts, carbs, etc.
  • Chrome front bumper (original plastic is on the car)
  • OE exhaust manifold and cat.
  • more

So, does anyone have any great ideas on how to find a good home for my Spitfire? I have advertised it at various times for best offer, but no real takers. People either wanted something they could drive away, or just wanted parts. I have seen soo many projects where people rebulid rusted POS's, and this one is rust-free, straight and complete, yet no takers. I guess I may just strip off stuff that sells quickly on ebay, and have the rest hauled off to a junk yard, but I would like to try one more time...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Hopefully on here or some of the other Spitfire sites you will find a willing rebuilder. There have been a couple of newbies on here that have recently purchased a rebuilder and several on the FaceBook Spitfire page as well. Check around the clubs (do a search for them) , others will have suggestions as well.

If I didn't already have 5 awaiting repair/rebuild/reassembly/etc, I would be interested/
Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
How much?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
Honestly... its nice to think you car would be taken away and lovingly restored.. but once its gone, its gone. Just try to get your best price and move on.

Unless this is an attempt at getting us to talk you out of it winking smiley, in that case... DONT SELL...... REBUILD!!!!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Save it for your retirement.

Qmulus Steve Eiche
Arvada, CO, USA   USA
Well, no, I am not trying to get someone to talk me out of selling it. I am pretty much ready to move on. I will say that i was very sentimentally attached, but that has waned, although I will admit that thinking about it now has me thinking. My wife and I dated in it, and I used to love taking on canyon roads and to the drive-in. Well, the drive-ins are all gone, and I have a Boxster S now for the canyon roads. I also have a '82 Audi quattro that I am doing a nut and bolt restoration on that I need to finish, as well as a couple of other cars. I ready need to move things on...

I know that with a week of work I could have the Spitfire up and running again as it is so easy to work on. I have had five Triumphs over the years, a '57 TR3, a '70 GT6+, a '72 TR6, a '74 Spitfire and this '79 Spitfire. I got it in '93 I think. I liked it because it had no rust (still doesn't) and was red with tan interior, which I always liked. While I have owned it I got all the parts to return it to fully stock (exhaust manifold, misc. plumbing, etc.) as well as "upgrade" parts (Euro carb setup, Weber DGV kit, chrome front bumper, etc.) and lots of odds and ends in boxes, like poly bushings for everything, trunion kits, new shocks, all the powdercoated stuff, the hardtop, etc.. I thought about getting a set of flat top pistons and rings, bearings, timing chain set, etc. (this car is CA spec, so has low compression and lots of emissions stuff - all intact, BTW) and doing a rebuild, but there is always something more pressing. I did an engine on my daughter's VW Tiguan with about two days notice, which was MUCH more involved than doing this engine, but I just can't get motivated to do it.

Anyway, I would like to get $1000 for it with the parts. I know I could sell off the parts for that or more, and junk the car. I just hate seeing something that I put so much time and effort into get crushed.

I have also thought about putting it up on one of the non-make-specific car enthusiastic websites, like bring a trailer. These are great cars to get someone interested in classic cars. Parts are cheap, they are easy to work on and they are fun. It also has THE BEST name ever for a British car.

I will look for some pictures and post up a few.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
edit your earlier post in the 'Buy, Sell, Trade' forum. Include the price and give it a bump. It'll be gone in a week. Wish I was much closer.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Some of us would consider it sport to try to drive it home.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
If it wasn't a 1200 mile trip, I'd be one of those peoplegrinning smiley

christrish Avatar
christrish Gold Member Chris B
Lehi, UT, USA   USA
About a 500 mile/7.5hr road trip for me. If I could talk my wife into it while I still have a Spit project in the garage... confused smiley

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 1505799 by Doug in Vegas Some of us would consider it sport to try to drive it home.

That’s sounds like a challenge Doug. I would love to do that and drive cross country.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505936 by twomanytriumphs
In reply to # 1505799 by Doug in Vegas Some of us would consider it sport to try to drive it home.

That’s sounds like a challenge Doug. I would love to do that and drive cross country.

It happens. I once bought a 69 Cadillac Eldorado convertible that had been sitting on blocks for 35 years for $75 and drove it home. (After getting the mouse nest out of the air cleaner.)

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1505936 by twomanytriumphs

I drove my White GT6+ from the port in Charleston SC to FT Benning GA while stuck in fourth gear... about 350 miles, much younger and more tolerant back then...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links