Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
More excellent info... Thank You Carter! I like it spelled out simple just like you did. Will keep the group apprised of the knuckle busting fun. john

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Today went better, although I botched step one on Carter's step by step directions:

"1) Raise the jack to just hold the diff in place, the front studs should be just barely touching the front mount."

The jack I was using has a very small platform, 4x5 inches or so. I couldn't keep the diff on the jack so I quickly cobbled together a cradle. The jack has a hole on its jack point. I nailed a socket to a board which fit that hole and added some wood... it worked... I know, some of you are thinking I have found my true calling and should open a custom wood working shop.eye popping smiley

The diff is in place, leaf spring and drive shaft installed. Tomorrow will put in the axles, bleed the brakes, etc.

Thank you to my spitbros for your support.

Some stuff I learned which may help anyone doing this:

1. Watch Calvin's videos... really helpful for setting pinion pre-load and lots of other stuff. The factory manual is also good, if you can find one, but for me, watching someone else do this stuff is the best.
2. If you want you can leave your axles in place. They will pivot up towards the floor of the car and not be in the way. I pulled mine because when I was having a difficult time the other day, I thought the leaf spring was making things difficult, turns out is wasn't.
3. I love my Haynes manual, but it goofed me up by stating that you install the rear of the diff first. Do not do this... install the front of the diff first!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 07:49 PM by Spity.

Attachments:
IMG_20180205_143124.jpg    63.3 KB
IMG_20180205_143124.jpg

IMG_20180205_143149.jpg    63.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer Yup. Success! Got it back together yesterday. Today poured a couple gallons gas in tank, I had ran it dry while parked in driveway 4 weeks ago. Couple slow laps around block...nothing fell off and it feels very smooth. The used axle from upstate NY seems great, u joints on passenger i installed (a first for me) nice and smooth, and the diff is quiet!

Headed out to get groceries and the parking lot discussions resumed . First conversation was with a gentleman who had owned 2 TR6's. Said he always liked the sleek looks of the Spit better. Off towards my next stop and street corner full of local high school kids waving and pointing. This little car does attract attention.

Got home to find my little tortoise awake after 7 months of hibernation... it's 75F... man she is hungry. What a great day!!

thanks again for the help! john

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2018 feb 7 tortise awoke.jpg    79.4 KB
2018 feb 7 tortise awoke.jpg

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Cool !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster