Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Replaced axle that was destroyed last fall. Got used axle in good shspe. Also replaced u-joints on other axle.

With rear wheels off ground they turn.

When on ground, will not turn.

In neutral. Can not push car.

Front wheels turn fine when raised.

Ideas appreciated. Was surprised with this result. John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
OK people, set the liquor down and send me some ideas, or type one handed and hold on the booze... It is new years! John

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
What if you have only one rear wheel off the ground. Will it turn?

I assume the car is not in gear!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, UT, USA   USA
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tangerine Dream"
John,

Siezed pinion gear in the differental or siezed u-joint on driveshaft? Easy to check. With both rears off the ground will both turn forward at the same time.

Back to the eggnog ..

DaveInUtah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 04:42 PM by Outfect.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Had it happen a couple of times. Like Dave said, the rear end outside bearing freezes. Hate it for you, but you need to take the axle from the side that was giving trouble and then see if you can turn that stub axle.
If you have a press, easy replacement, if not pay someone.
Get the bearing and the seal, might as well do both sides.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Wheels both off ground they are turning opposite directions. Then i grabbed the drive shaft and turned it and it feels rough inside diff. Problem with pinion? Drive shaft seems OK.

Car was locked up after I had coasted to side of road last fall. I had hoped it was because of the sheared off axle yoke.

In reply to # 1505309 by Outfect John,

Siezed pinion gear in the differental or siezed u-joint on driveshaft? Easy to check. With both rears off the ground will both turn forward at the same time.

Back to the eggnog ..

DaveInUtah

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
One wheel on ground the raised wheel will not turn. Same for both sides. Car in neutral.

In reply to # 1505308 by Tonyfixit What if you have only one rear wheel off the ground. Will it turn?

I assume the car is not in gear!

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Sounds like the problem is IN the diff.

But "feels rough" is a long way from not being able to move the car!

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Both stub axles turn nice and smooth when both wheels off ground. Will a goofed up pinion cause my symptoms, like Dave suggested?

In reply to # 1505314 by trrdster Had it happen a couple of times. Like Dave said, the rear end outside bearing freezes. Hate it for you, but you need to take the axle from the side that was giving trouble and then see if you can turn that stub axle.
If you have a press, easy replacement, if not pay someone.
Get the bearing and the seal, might as well do both sides.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Yeah, I think Dave was totally on the right track.

I just hope it's not a buggered pinion and crown gear that got jammed up. I think with the carrier stuck in place you would get the exact symptoms you described.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps the diff toasted itself and was the cause of the broken yoke on the drivers side and broken u joints on the passenger side. There had been no odd noises before it all went to heck... I was doing 65mph. Well, both axels are now good. Will pull the diff and see what is what.

Happy New Year to all my Spitbros!!
John

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, I just did a bit for someone else on getting the rear out, might be a good read for you, take it or leave it, but some direction.
I did make a Journal out of it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Wayne, I will definitely read that. I installed this diff two years ago, shortly after getting my spit. That original diff had also locked up... I'm now two for two. Anyway, it will be good to read your tips. One tip I remember from my last experience was to attach a come-along to the seat belt mount and run the cable through the access panel above the spring and lift the diff into place... Way easier than bench pressing it. That was a finger smashing good time! John

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505333 by trrdster John, I just did a bit for someone else on getting the rear out, might be a good read for you, take it or leave it, but some direction.
I did make a Journal out of it.

Wayne, just read your journal entry... outstanding! I especially like your idea of using the long extension and socket to remove the axle u joint nuts from outside the car. Lots easier than two wrenches and 1/10 turn, or so, at a time like i did today. thanks for the tips! john

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
John, if those stub axles will not turn the same direction at the same time, then you definitely have a diff issue. It does sound like it already. Happy New Year.
Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster