Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ANDYGT6 Avatar
ANDYGT6 Andy K
SF East Bay, CA, USA   USA
Hi All - Has anyone ever run across this problem before? After recently rebuilding the carbs on my GT6 and had it running well, was doing some fine tuning to the carbs as well as tweaking timing to get all running optimallly. I was just about done but still in process of adjusting the timing with the car running when I turned the distributor just a tweak further when I think I heard an extra little click, the car died suddenly, and now I can’t get it to restart. Have never had this happen in all the years I’ve done this. Really not sure where to go next...sure seems It would restart even if I had timing off a bit. Seems odd the distributor or other part would just suddenly fail while adjusting timing. I checked distributor cap still on correctly, plug wires still on right, etc. car is running a Pertronix electronic ignition. Suggestions on what to check and what order to troubleshoot would be really appreciated. Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
Frayed wires coming thru distributor to coil. Fried the petronix.
You'll have to do spark checks to confirm. That's my guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 03:02 PM by lef2wander.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Agree, sounds like you may have broken or disconnected a wire.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ANDYGT6 Avatar
ANDYGT6 Andy K
SF East Bay, CA, USA   USA
Ok, I figured it out. Started lookin for disconnected or broken wires. Took cap off the distributor and noticed the ear to hold the rotor in proper place was broken. My own stupidity....all I can think of is distributor cap spring on one side was a little loose and I probably turned the distributor by the cap instead of below it and caused this. Put the rotor back in correct position and it started right up. Have also tightened that spring clip too. Giving myself the big “DOH!” Award but happy to already have found the problem with the fix just being a new rotor!

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
DOH!

Of course I would never do anything like that.

...............and admit it ;-)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links