AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dday1950 Avatar
dday1950 RICHARD DAY
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
74 Spitfire 1500
When cold, the clutch is quiet and works fine. After driving around for a while and things warm up the clutch makes a fairly loud click sound when I depress and release the pedal. It does it whether the motor is running or not. After it sets and cools of the sound goes away. The clutch seems to work just fine with no other sounds. I have isolated the sound to down in the bell housing so I'm guessing it's something in the clutch lever, throw out bearing, or whatever. It just started to do this recently.
Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I had that sould come from a worn bushing on my clutch pedal. If I pressed the pedal straight down there was no sound, but my long legs tended it put sidways thrust on it, and the bushing would click.

If it really is comming from the bellhousing, I tend to suspect the the fulcrum pin of the throwout bearing arm.

dday1950 Avatar
dday1950 RICHARD DAY
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Tony. I'm talking to some friends who have suggested some thing similar to that and that it may be dry and binding

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Check where the pedal arm goes into the clevis pin on the master cylinder.

Sometimes this area wears into an oval that can snag.

You may have to weld in a washer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster