AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
It is in your area.
At that price, I would think complete would be better and installed and tuned.
I also would understand your engine would need to be used as a core.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
First he says 24k befor the rebuild, then 11k??

He is open to offers on it. Perhaps it was a frustrated sale that he is now stuck with?

My gut says that is a lot of money especially if you also have to hand over (and ship) a usable core.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
The photos in the ad show two different motors . Check the paint job and the alt / gen mount .

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504788 by Lizzard The photos in the ad show two different motors . Check the paint job and the alt / gen mount .

Lizzard, I think you should change your name to Super Sluth ;-)

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Why did the builder elect to rebuild an engine with only 11K miles on it?

AND - $3,300 plus freight..... Omigod - my new 78 (running just fine thank you) only cost me $3900 at auction...... and the engine has an entire car attached......

Granted, I love motors and have rebuilt many.... and can do a spit 1500 motor for less than $$2,000 (easily) - which means "performance quality"...... I'd never buy a motor online or without a shop to back it up... ..... no warranty (not a feasible one).... no references, no nothing....

Take your current engine to a good local machine shop..... they can rebuild it, guarantee it.... and make any mods you might want during the process.....

Best of luck to you - whatever you decide to do.... and let us know how it turns out..... I often wonder about the stories of buyers of items like this......

Z

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
i inquired about getting an engine rebuilt (norwalk is a 45min drive for me). ever since then the guy is emailing me to buy his engine.....aparantly he has a few 1500's. I thinkg north of $3000 is expensive. But what do i know.

I just wanted a bottom end rebuilt....or is that what a short block is called ? anyway...

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Pretty much. A short block is the block, crank, cam with pistons built up ready for the cyl head and other bolt on bits.

Prices vary depending where you live.
For a short block I would have the bare block and crank assesed at a machine shop. They will advise if, and how much an over bore or crank grind you need. The parts will then be cleaned in a Hot Tank while the needed parts are ordered. Crack testing etc. may also bedone at this stage.
When the parts arrive your block will be machined to the required size determined by measuring the actual parts. Cyls overbored and honed, crank ground and polished. The crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, pulley clutch etc. may also be balanced atthis time.
When all this is done the components are then assembled in a clean enviroment.

You may also make some choices or want extras, like the type of bearings used, thrust washer modification, type of piston rings used etc.

There are some choices and decisions to make when building an engine. IMHO there needs to be a dialogue between the machinist/ builder and owner, if only that everybody is on the same wavelength.

Some shops do engines on speculation, or Hobby engines to fill in time during slow periods.
Often the price of these engines is negotiable, as they do not have to be built to a deadline.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Frank:

As you surmised - a bottom end is a "short block". If yours is in rebuildable condition (no holes/cracks in block and/or head), it is a likely candidate. A good automotive machine shop can rebuild it for a relatively low cost. Depending on your final goals - many, if not all of the major components can be re-used (pistons, rods, crank, cam ) and other parts replaced (timing gear/chain, oil pump, bearings, lifters, etc.). If you're going to go for performance mods, it will include the cost of new pistons, cam, timing assembly. One advantage to a 1500 is the number of cylinders (4), that reduces average rebuild parts costs by up to 50% over what I'm used to rebuilding. On the other hand, you can't run to your FLAPS to get something off the shelf....

I will admit, I haven't rebuilt in many years....... but used to do high performance v-8's on a regular basis...... and could whip out a racing engine for less than $1,000 in parts and machine work...... I did a quick google and came up with:

https://www.howmuchisit.org/rebuilding-an-engine-cost/

Seems reasonable to me....

Z

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
Wouldn't hurt to call. Maybe he can put it in a start stand.
4/5 hour drive down to Norwalk in a pickup might be worth it. Price needs to come down. If your engine is good to go, you could have it redone, cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 05:56 AM by lef2wander.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I think that is high, but there are a lot of people charging a lot. I found prices in the bay area of CA at 5-8k. I ended up shipping my engine to Ted at TSI in Ohio. Along with everything else, He replaced the head, raised compression, balanced, put a performance CAM in it, a replacement rod,etc. And I came out better than the price you have on eBay. And I know it was done right. He is also very easy to get ahold of.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Here's a screen shot of the add so when it goes down people can still see it.

If that's a reputable builder then I don't think 3300 is a terrible price.

Local machine shops don't have a great reputation around here, and that's why when I was doing mine I drove it to TSI as well. Wasn't going to be cheap though... by the time we did the standard stuff plus (I did want that 90 HP if possible) upgrading cam, pistons, carbs etc I think it was going to be about $4500US if I recall. In the end my block was bad so for much less money I elected to do the engine/tranny swap. (not suggesting that, it's just what I did).
Ted is great though and in my opinion it would be worth sending him your stuff. It may be the last rebuild you do, and it's nice to know the guy who did it really knows his stuff.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Attachments:
Ebay Engine.jpg    30.8 KB
Ebay Engine.jpg

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Seems high. Especially given the essentially non-existent details.

I have an extra 1500 at a shop in Ohio getting rebuilt, assuming it (hopefully) passes their magnaflux testing.

This shop is associated with TSI and has rebuilt many Triumph engines. Hundreds, probably, over the last 30-40 years.

A friend recently had them rebuild and engine for his Spit and had them do their "standard" performance build: new higher compression pistons; complete balancing; 3 angle valve job plus mild head porting; street performance cam. Generally good for around 90 hp. Given how tired the 1500 in my car is now (over 80K miles), it should be a nice bump. The whole deal was less than $3K.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1504860 by Manana Here's a screen shot of the add so when it goes down people can still see it.

If that's a reputable builder then I don't think 3300 is a terrible price.

Local machine shops don't have a great reputation around here, and that's why when I was doing mine I drove it to TSI as well. Wasn't going to be cheap though... by the time we did the standard stuff plus (I did want that 90 HP if possible) upgrading cam, pistons, carbs etc I think it was going to be about $4500US if I recall. In the end my block was bad so for much less money I elected to do the engine/tranny swap. (not suggesting that, it's just what I did).
Ted is great though and in my opinion it would be worth sending him your stuff. It may be the last rebuild you do, and it's nice to know the guy who did it really knows his stuff.

Your price includes carbs? And what else? Need to compare apples to apples

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Bruce you are totally correct, crappy post on my part, sorry guys. I don't recall exactly and although I keep great records, the hard-drive they were on is titters otherwise I'd have been more specific.

I guess what I was trying to put out there was that if you are going for increased performance, even to the 90 HP mark it will cost a bit more; that considered, $3300 didn't seem that high to me.

I'll look again for my numbers.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links