Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Holding steady....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMAG1230.jpg    42 KB
IMAG1230.jpg

1973 midget Avatar
1973 midget Jim M
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Those books are total shit! It is worth what somebody will pay for it, period. Really a spitfire for only $5,000. I am so sick of these kinds of books. That goes for all the “price books on shit people collect”. As a collector of said shit WE know what it cost to fix as aposed to some shit head writing the book. These books and picker shows just screw up the market. “oh the book said it is worth $5,000 and you want $8,000”. I can only give you $3,000 as I need to make money also. Piss off, the paint and body work was more than the $3,000 you want to pay. But the book say’s. AAAHHH!,!,

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1505054 by 1973 midget Those books are total shit! It is worth what somebody will pay for it, period. Really a spitfire for only $5,000. I am so sick of these kinds of books. That goes for all the “price books on shit people collect”. As a collector of said shit WE know what it cost to fix as aposed to some shit head writing the book. These books and picker shows just screw up the market. “oh the book said it is worth $5,000 and you want $8,000”. I can only give you $3,000 as I need to make money also. Piss off, the paint and body work was more than the $3,000 you want to pay. But the book say’s. AAAHHH!,!,

Jim says pretty much what I was thinking.
Book prices may hold true for 5 year old Fords and Chevy's but our cars there are too many variables.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Unfortunately, IMHO - the books tends to be relatively accurate.... I just bought a 78 for my daughter a couple of weeks ago..... Total cost $5,200 ($1,000 of which was transport from Florida to Dallas, serious detailing, oil change, new battery, and thorough going through by a mechanic prior to pick up, paperwork, title transfer, etc). It runs well, looks great - though a picky person (such as me and you) would find all sorts of things to spend $$ on to make it better...... While looking for a car, I came across lots of $3,000 - $4,000 offers - some better than others.... but most ran.....

We (I'm now a part of this group) tend to consider the costs/effort involved to make our cars "perfect - in our own minds".... and obviously do most of the work ourselves (our labor is free - but we like to equate the time with a reasonable cost factor)....

Value is all about supply and demand.... It would appear demand is lower than we might prefer - hence the estimates provided by the price guide.... While we think our Spits are worth $20K.... would you cough up that kind of scratch to buy another one....??

Someone once told me - a spitfire is not a car - it is a hobby... needing constant attention..... newer vehicles have 100,000 mile warranties - run great to the 100,000 ++ milestone..... while we worry about rebuilding engines at 60,000 miles... My local Triumph club regularly posts information about cross country runs - and invariably mentions mechanical failures of one or more participants..... Not a good thing!!

However, we love our Triumphs.... and in our minds they are worth much more than market prices..... Unfortunately, the marketplace doesn't agree....

Z.

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Yes Jim I understand your point. But the reality is that this book only monitors actual auction results internationally and gives median valuations. Not private sales. SCM is a legitimate resource..... For auction results.

In reply to # 1505054 by 1973 midget Those books are total shit! It is worth what somebody will pay for it, period. Really a spitfire for only $5,000. I am so sick of these kinds of books. That goes for all the “price books on shit people collect”. As a collector of said shit WE know what it cost to fix as aposed to some shit head writing the book. These books and picker shows just screw up the market. “oh the book said it is worth $5,000 and you want $8,000”. I can only give you $3,000 as I need to make money also. Piss off, the paint and body work was more than the $3,000 you want to pay. But the book say’s. AAAHHH!,!,

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Looks about right to me. Sure, there are a ton of variables. But at the end of the day, those prices are close to what you would actually pay to pick up a good driver.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
As a new Triumph hobbyist, this is the first time I've seen a price list. Some of those are really surprising ! The top few, especially. TR4 , TR4a, and TR250. I guess I won't be getting one of those. Our GT6+ will have to do. Heck, we have three GT6s in various states of decomposition. The 69 is on it's way back to the road. The other two ..... ? I don't know.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Jim’s opinion mirrors mine... though he churched his up a little bit!! I haven’t seen a $9500 GT6 in several years. Median price.... then TR4... mine’s a $#!+ box and no way is it worth anything close to $25 or 29k. I don’t see how these Guides represent the market in general and every publication as well as owners have their biases. Are they following bring a trailer? That is where cars are selling now. Judging from GT6 prices I think not.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I would imagine there is a big difference in condition. Daily driver -> nicely restored -> Back to factory full restoration, as an example.

I have no idea what these cars are going for. I never looked for a running one.

In reply to a post by Kyle mentioned I haven’t seen a $9500 GT6 in several years.

What side of $9500 are you seeing them ?

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
It upsets a lot of people, but these cars just aren't worth a lot at this time.

1964Spitfire Avatar
1964Spitfire Tim P
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
The numbers from Hagerty are quite different. From personal experience I auctioned a car last year (not a Triumph) and came very close to the Hagerty numbers.

Attachments:
1972 Spitfire.jpg    44.6 KB
1972 Spitfire.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
I notice they got the carburetion wrong.
All the best,
Paul

JohnW63 John Williamson
I did a quick Hagerty valuation on a GT6+ ( I had to choose 1970 instead of 1969, but I can live with that. )

Good = $7200 but Excellent is up at $13,700. That's quite a range. If I take all four of their price points from Good ( $4800) to Concourse ($17,500 ) and get an average, it comes out to $10,800

A quick check on a TR250 shows $22,000 for good and $35,000 for excellent. I wish Dad had one of THOSE sitting around for us to adopt !

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Hagerty price guide is for a Insured Valuation I believe. Which is usually a bit more than a retail valuation.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I’m basing mine on what I’ve seen through bring a trailer and eBay. The large scale auctions are not for our cars as they seem to fall on their face. The last 8 “gt6’s” sold on Bat have brought over 10k, there was 1 that didn’t sell at 9k, but it looked like a nice car. These cars ranged from original spit6’s to modified spit6’s, concours gt6 mk1 or mk2, to a driver restored mk1 with incorrect colors (nice car wouldn’t kick it out of my garage... )

I’ve watched project cars rise from $500-700 (dad paid $700 in 2000 for a “running” gt6. It needed a fuel pump and brake calipers to drive it around the block) with titles and OD to $1500 without titles and needing serious work (broken rocker arm, missing seat, etc). I think Hagerty is closer to the mark but are about a year or so behind what the market is showing.
Kyle
https://bringatrailer.com/search/gt6/

In reply to # 1505356 by JohnW63 I would imagine there is a big difference in condition. Daily driver -> nicely restored -> Back to factory full restoration, as an example.

I have no idea what these cars are going for. I never looked for a running one.

In reply to a post by Kyle mentioned I haven’t seen a $9500 GT6 in several years.

What side of $9500 are you seeing them ?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster