new triumph spitfire look interesting

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
I've been involved in the new-MINI world since 2003, so I saw this concept when it was first shown. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of it being described as a "new" Spitfire. The whole front end is taken from the F56 MINI, which is also a somewhat polarizing design.

While BMW still holds the rights to the Triumph automotive brand name, they have consistently denied any plans to resurrect the brand. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Thankfully, it never happened. Otherwise, Michelotti would be turning over in his grave.

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
I am on the whole quite glad that the Triumph name has not been resurrected and that we just have the legacy cars to enjoy as we see fit.

I mean, look at what happened to the MG name... http://mg.co.uk/mg3/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504887 by DerbyRam54 I am on the whole quite glad that the Triumph name has not been resurrected and that we just have the legacy cars to enjoy as we see fit.

Amen,

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504887 by DerbyRam54 I am on the whole quite glad that the Triumph name has not been resurrected and that we just have the legacy cars to enjoy as we see fit.

Amen,

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Its ludicrous to use the Spitfire name for a V6 or V8 motor. If someone wanted to do so, the Ford EcoBoost 4 has 180 bhp in production form, with 400 if modified.
John

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN

You can go back a few decades and see the same kind of Brand Engineering of the MG marque

Attachments:
MG Magnette IV front.jpg    55 KB
MG Magnette IV front.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Good lord.... My recently acquired 78 spit spins tires in first as it is (only had it a week and haven't even done a compression check yet - though everything but the single weber downdraft appears stock).... what in gods name would I do with 400 hp (or even 180)??? Create fog from burning rubber??

Z

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have to admit, while we all want a 'bit more power' part of the appeal of our cars is working to make the most of what little power we have.

And then there is today's congested roads! We are lucky if we can find a road where we can safely exploit even the Spitfires potential.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504945 by TheZster Good lord.... My recently acquired 78 spit spins tires in first as it is (only had it a week and haven't even done a compression check yet - though everything but the single weber downdraft appears stock).... what in gods name would I do with 400 hp (or even 180)??? Create fog from burning rubber??

Z

Uhmm, You learn to steer with the throttle!

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Are you sure this was not originally put out on April 1st?
Regards,
Paul

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
http://www.newcarreleasedates.com/2018-new-car-release-dates-reviews-photos-price/2016-triumph-spitfire-release-date-price-photos-review-specs

"Regarding the name - We were told that the name Triumph Spitfire was abandoned after fans were less enthusiastic about re-use of the name Triumph Spitfire, on a car that looked just like the original; we expect the 2016 Triumph Spitfire to be revived instead. Indeed."

I'm glad it's not named Triumph Spitfire anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 10:37 AM by colodad.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Chime in all those who would buy this car to gut it and put all the works in a classic model year.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I can't get enthusiastic about that. Pure fertilizer. Spread it on the fields to enhance the crop.
All the best,
Paul

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
I would argue that the current Fiat 124 Spyder is closer to a Spitfire in profile than the original 124

But there is no way there could be a car produced today like the spitfire. The hood opening with lights attached doesn't meet safety regulations. Door sills are higher to protect for side impact...so no arm out the window...etc.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster