Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
that was bounced around here a couple years ago. Don't know if anything more was ever learned, but obviously did not go into prod. for 2016.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
When I see some of the other 'retro' cars like the Fiat 500 or the Mini, they DO suggest visually the old Fiat or Mini.
I see nothing Spitfire'ish in this car!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
That car looks more mini than spitfire. Decent looking, but follows no design lineage. The nsx made that mistake. So far nothing from BMW on actually doing it.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
That's downright boring - compared to my 78 spit.... other than the 450 hp hemi (are you kidding? - My Grand Cherokee puts out that much HP - but it's 3X the size/weight - and I use it to tow a boat that weighs twice what my spit weighs.....

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
I still want to know who wrote the original copy, and in what language. Read this last paragraph...

Some functions outside the 2016 Triumph Spitfire would be maintained so that the Spitfire would be a legacy remembered a much better and improved version, which perform better on the road. The front fascia and grille have been redesigned to make it more streamlined and modernized. And some changes inside that adds comfort and ease with the pleasure of a real racecar that made Triumph so famous.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The issue I have with any of them being "new" Spitfires is the lack of the door kink along the side. They all want to bring the door upper edge so high that you can't drive with your arm on the door, or for some people to barely see out of it, sort of the look of the Camero on the side. I don't like any of them that have the sort of high side line.

And I agree, it is more likely a Mini that anything, per Andrews link. I have seen both of these in the past and still not seen anything from them.
Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Revivals of old sports cars are all the rage (ie: Mustang, Camero, t-bird, etc.) as the "money holding" population grows older.... At least Ford and Chevy came up with products that are easily identified as offspring of the originals.....

This thing looks like nothing...... and certainly not an offspring of our spits/GT6's/yadda yadda yadda....... More like a miata on steroids from my perspective..... Though I would be interested in checking out a 450 HP Hemi in a car the size of a Miata..... I'd keep firestone in business all by my ownself..... LOL...

Z

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
I'd say that looks like a generic early 21st century sports car. There doesn't seem to be anything about it to say "Triumph Spitfire" to me. Not just the looks mind you, at 1493 cc the Spitfire 1500 was one of the smallest displacement cars on the market. I would rather see modestly good performance from light weight and not from a large engine. Any dope can make a car fast by putting a big engine in it.
All the best,
Paul

74Spit Avatar
74Spit Rick Ladd
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
I would be interested if the new spitfire looked more like the original. Likely it would have to be larger these days and i’m Okay with that. However so many new cars look the same. A spitfire that held it’s own would be a thrill!

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
This was a MINI roadster/speedster concept car. There was some early rumors it might go into production, but they were quickly squashed as the MINI Roadster and Coupe didn't really sell that well.

Years ago there was a glimmer of hope BMW might build a Triumph based on the Z4 chassis, but that idea pretty much died when Z4 production moved out of the US.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Please don't call that a Spitfire!

It lacks style and character to a near unprecedented level, almost rivaling the MGB!

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Attachments:
278519_orig.jpg    33.6 KB
278519_orig.jpg

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Where is Giovanni Michelotti when we need him? And this "Spitfire" really needs him now.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Reminds me of a piece of Xmas candy that's been sucked on until all the details and even the shape has dissolved into a lozenge.

I picture a bunch of suits at the boardroom asking, "What are these 'lines' of which you speak?"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster