TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Anyone drop your MKII GT6 front bumper down to MKI height ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I really like the lower bumper and open grill look of the MKI GT6, however, we have a GT6+. It almost looks like just a different bumper mount on the end of the frame, and probably a bracket on each wing. I'll leave it the way it is, if there isn't a clean way to do it, but since the car is all in pieces, it doesn't hurt to think creatively.

I like the split front bumper with over riders too, but we are already paying to have the front bumper, and rear corner bumpers re-chromed, so, it wouldn't make economic sense to find the split fronts and not use the full front.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-26 11:25 PM by JohnW63.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
On my 1st gt6 + I found a bent bumper and cut out the center bent section . I just had the corners from the grill out . I also had the stock full bumper stashed away .

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The front hinge points and the bumper mounts are completely different for the high and low bumper cars. There was someone else a while back that was determined to this but I don't know what he decided to do. You can purchase the older mount pieces that go on the frame but I think you also have to replace the bonnet ends.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
risingsunexperience Avatar
Trenton, NJ, USA   USA
-Don't worry about it. The GT6+ looks awesome just the way it is. People tell me this all the time.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504534 by JohnW63 I really like the lower bumper and open grill look of the MKI GT6, however, we have a GT6+. It almost looks like just a different bumper mount on the end of the frame, and probably a bracket on each wing. I'll leave it the way it is, if there isn't a clean way to do it, but since the car is all in pieces, it doesn't hurt to think creatively....

Having been around since the cars were new, whenever I see something like this done, my initial reaction is "Oh, crashed car bodged back together with whatever bits they found first and cheapest."

But that's me; your tastes might differ. winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Lowering the front bumper with little to no modification would be a big job. You could probably come up with a bracket or something, but it wouldn't be simple

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
The stock bumper in the stock location looks just fine.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

JohnW63 John Williamson
I was just exploring the issue. If it's not easily done, I'll leave it alone.

Grubscrew,

Quite glad you think it is fine the way it is. Not a very helpful post, however. I prefer the MKI look, as I stated in the opening post. I also suspect that the lower bumper allows better cooling for the radiator. I live in a desert. A real one. Tumbleweeds, Joshua Trees, and sand. Plenty of triple digit temps in the summer. Keeping the engine cool IS an important thing for me.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1504685 by JohnW63 I was just exploring the issue. If it's not easily done, I'll leave it alone.

Grubscrew,

Quite glad you think it is fine the way it is. Not a very helpful post, however. I prefer the MKI look, as I stated in the opening post. I also suspect that the lower bumper allows better cooling for the radiator. I live in a desert. A real one. Tumbleweeds, Joshua Trees, and sand. Plenty of triple digit temps in the summer. Keeping the engine cool IS an important thing for me.

Probably won't help with cooling, but you would have to cut/weld new frame mounts and either swap bonnets or source the hinge tubes and hinges to put on to your existing bonnet. It's straight forward but also a pita grinning smiley

Oh and a mk1 bumper will be needed too

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Not sure bumper height really makes much of a difference. Things that will affect it are paper (cardboard) radiator shroud (collapses and blocks radiator). Side skirts (not sure if they help a ton, but I had them and never had issues). Electric fan on front of radiator blocks flow. Alternate options are a laid back golf radiator (Roy Lacey’s mk1 has this mod). The red or blue 13 blade fan might help as well. As for swapping to earlier bumper, probably easiest to find a spit frame and swap/make the needed parts. The bonnet tubes will need to come from a mk1/2 spit as well. If you swap it, consider swapping the marker lights too, to the earlier style glass bee hive. Kyle.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Sounds like a longer list of tasks than I was hoping for.

I prefer the look, but not enough to do all of that.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
everything has been covered except one point unless I missed it - need earlier bumper bar also - has a different curve to the + model

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster