Spitfire4 with headers?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, NY, USA   USA
How difficult would it be to convert my 62 engine to have headers? I have a MK 11 intake manifold.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I don't think it takes much, I think they are fairly available in the usual places for Spit parts. A header was the original setup on Mk2's.
Just checked Rimmers, they have them in SS. Check HERE

Dan

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
As Dan says, the stock manifold for your car was a 4-2-1 header, and very good they were too.
I use an original one converted to work on my 1500.

If an 1147 will work on a 1500 (with minor welding mods to the flange) a 1500 header should be able to be modded to an 1147.
But it's probably cheaper and easier to buy the proper header in the first place.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, NY, USA   USA
Actually, the exhaust manifold is 4-1. This is a real early Spit.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504495 by cowskey Actually, the exhaust manifold is 4-1. This is a real early Spit.

Oh, that was the same as the Herald 1250 manifold but without the Hot Spot for the single carb.

A Spitfire 4 mkII manifold would be your best option.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Stan,
You can ignore the water tube in the Mk2 Intake manifold and just bolt it and a Mk2 exhaust header on where the Mk1 versions were. The Mk2 exhaust header even connects up to the front muffler the same as the Mk1 exhaust.
If you want to hook the water tube up you will have to swap out the other water tube below the manifolds for one that has provision for connections to both the manifold and heater.
All the best,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Stan lives in Oneonta, New York, I do not recommend disconnecting the water tube.
Besides, the Mk I intake and Mk II header work fine together.
I've run them on several of my daily drivers over the years.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1504553 by clshore Stan lives in Oneonta, New York, I do not recommend disconnecting the water tube.

Carter,
That is kind of ambiguous. The Mk1 manifold doesn't have the water tube. So if he uses it he gets no water heat to the manifold. Directly against your recommendation. Then again the Mk2 manifold doesn't have provision for mounting the radiator header tank. So there is another detail that would have to be worked out.
All the best,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504655 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1504553 by clshore Stan lives in Oneonta, New York, I do not recommend disconnecting the water tube.

Carter,
That is kind of ambiguous. The Mk1 manifold doesn't have the water tube. So if he uses it he gets no water heat to the manifold. Directly against your recommendation. Then again the Mk2 manifold doesn't have provision for mounting the radiator header tank. So there is another detail that would have to be worked out.
All the best,
Paul

True statement.
The header tank bolts directly to the top of the Mk I intake manifold, but via two steel brackets, so heating is likely not as good as the Mk II water tube.
I've swapped out the cast iron Mk I exhaust manifolds for Mk II tubular headers on several of the Mk I Spitfires I drove over the years,
keeping the Mk I manifold, header tank, etc.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster