Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oljoshman Josh D
Carrboro, NC, USA   USA
Hey guys!
So Ive been dealing with a clutch problem so I decided to replace it. After much struggling and about 10 cans of pb blaster I was able to remove all of the bellhousing bolts and eventually the trannsmission. Now I am trying to remove the clutch/cover but when I try to break the bolts free the flywheel turns too. Any tips or insight on this? I removed the transmission through the interior. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The easiest is an air wrench. If you don't have one, the next options are: lock up the engine so it won't turn-there are several options for that, turn the engine so the bolt you are removing is on the right side of the engine from where you are behind it - then use the longest bar you can use from your point of attack - there will be a point at about 3 o'clock position or maybe down closer to 6 where you can apply the most reverse torque without the engine turning the same way, even with it locked up.
Some clutch covers have holes along the sides between the bolts, some use those to insert a long tool that will hit the frame or floor, then undo your bolts.

Dan

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a peice of angled steel that bolts to one of the engine studs, and drops down to jam in the ring gear teeth. I then flip it over when I tighten the new clutch cover.

If you have not done so, check the clutch throw-out fulcrum pin while you have the gearbox out!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
If you have a cordless impact wrench or can borrow one, that would work too.

oljoshman Josh D
Carrboro, NC, USA   USA
Ok. I just got an impact wrench so Im going to give that a try. Where is the fulcrum pin located and what should I be looking for?

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Getting it off is only half the battle.

When you go to put it back on you will need to torque it, and the impact gun would be unreliable for that.

Here's what I did.... but it helps that I had recently changed out my flywheel ring gear and had it laying around to cut up. Really, as Tony states, anything that will secure it would be adequate.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Attachments:
Flywheel Stop.JPG    49.9 KB
Flywheel Stop.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
As said, a right angled peice of steel attatched to an engine stud, will hold the FW in place.
(See graphic at top of flywheel)
But I do like the ring gear solution (if you have one handy)

The fulcrum pin is the item marked in the illustration. It is just a steel pin. It has been known to break or just fall out.

When it does, you cannot operate the clutch. A bolt is a good replacment. My cars PO just left an old screwdriver in the hole :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 10:59 AM by Tonyfixit.

Attachments:
IMG_20171229_084335.jpg    48.4 KB
IMG_20171229_084335.jpg

IMG_20171229_083759.jpg    50.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
oljoshman Josh D
Carrboro, NC, USA   USA
Ok. So I got the old clutch plate, etc out and refitted the new one. i also replaced the throwout bearing as advised. I am having trouble putting the transmission back in. Any tricks? It seems like the heavy bellhousing end wont line up with the shaft and splines. (not sure if I'm using the proper terms but hopefully you guys understand. How do I get the gearbox refitted? Ive made some progress and I'm so anxious to get it all back together...

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
Jack up the motor a little as close to the back as possible. 2x4 and any old jack that fits. You may have to twist the tranny along it's axis to clear the exhaust a little.

With the tranny out the motor droops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 03:41 PM by lef2wander.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Put the tranny in fourth and wiggle the drive yoke to help the teeth mesh.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I assume you aligned the clutch plate (see the blue alignment tool in the earlier pics)

Supporting the engine end plate on a section of 2x4, then sliding the bellhousing forward on the same 2x4 at least takes care of alignment in one dimension.

Measuring between the end plate and the bellhousing flange, getting the space even on all sides , also gives an idea if you are out of alignment.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Another aid is to put in some extra long bolts at the top to hang the tranny from. You can use them like a rail system to align the rest.

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Agree with all, jack up the motor, long bolts, and then I used a couple large c-clamps. Get some pressure, then rotate the drive shaft flange (in 4rth as suggested).

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Bolts are good, but I just used two long screwdrivers and then was able to do a bit more jiggling.

Definitely make sure you've used a clutch alignment tool though.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Attachments:
Transmission Installation.JPG    26 KB
Transmission Installation.JPG

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
First time I did it I use two big phillips screwdrivers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster