Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gadams Silver Member Gerry Adams
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA   USA
Just found http://ccts-inc.com/SPITFIRE/Dash%20Templates.htm
Where pdf files of AutoCAD drawings of the patterns for wood instrument panels for 1971 Spitfire are posted.
My plan is to cut a new dash from purpleheart wood using a AutoCAD-file-programmed computerized huge table gig that functions as jigsaw, router and more. So i used a large scanner and created digital images of front and back sideviews of the three parts of the wood dash.
Using Illustrator I converted those eps images into DWG and DXF images to load into AutoCAD.
But i have never used AutoCAD before and fortunately ran into AutoCAD drawings downloadable as pdf on the CCTS link above!!!
Wow. Cannot wait till the woodturners are back from holidays!
Has anyone done this before using a computerized cutting table?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2398B3AC-131C-4BAD-A43D-09C71FCAE9CE.jpeg    46.9 KB
2398B3AC-131C-4BAD-A43D-09C71FCAE9CE.jpeg

472190D8-FDCD-4F3E-9943-B6DD4138C4B5.jpeg    12 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi Gerry Adams,

If you have the files created in Inventor you should save a copy as an STL file or IGES file so the CNC Router / Jigsaw you have access to can except the file. I am also fairly confident that your machine will also be able to accept the DXF file you have created in Inventor. I do not think your machine will be able to read a PDF file but one never knows.

Later this week when I get back to my office I will see about making a SolidWorks drawing file for each section of the dash as this is something I have been considering doing for a while and did not think to check on this forum to see if anyone had already accomplished this.

The wood dash on my GT6 is the original and I should have done this three years ago when I rebuilt the car and had it apart so I could take the measurements of the backside counter sinks for the insturment and heater controls and such.

Send me a PM so I can contact you off line via email if you wish.

Merry Christmas

cool smiley

Corrected spelling.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 12:48 AM by MHKflyer52.

Ratranger Ian B
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
I did similar but different. I had to redo a center dash panel, and went with aluminum instead of wood. Take your time, and I would say cut one out of cheap wood to test the fit and prove it before using the good wood.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20160127_231933.jpg    48.9 KB
IMG_20160127_231933.jpg

Very creative and looks outstanding.

Martin,
that is solid advise and important format information. Our shop will open Jan 1 and i’ll get some further guidance from the headerry.
I’ll PM you soon
Happy Holidays and work-break
G

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
That looks amazing, Ian. I particularly love the Triumph logo etched in the center. Nice work!

In reply to # 1504425 by Ratranger I did similar but different. I had to redo a center dash panel, and went with aluminum instead of wood. Take your time, and I would say cut one out of cheap wood to test the fit and prove it before using the good wood.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505065 by gadams Martin,
that is solid advise and important format information. Our shop will open Jan 1 and i’ll get some further guidance from the headerry.
I’ll PM you soon
Happy Holidays and work-break
G

Hi Gary Adams,

That would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Our GT6+ dash in is good shape, other than it being black vinyl over the plywood, instead of nice wood veneer. I'm hoping to just create some paper templates to make a better cover for it. Could one of these sets of drawings match a GT6+ ? Some look like they could.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1505657 by JohnW63 Our GT6+ dash in is good shape, other than it being black vinyl over the plywood, instead of nice wood veneer. I'm hoping to just create some paper templates to make a better cover for it. Could one of these sets of drawings match a GT6+ ? Some look like they could.

John,
You will probably find the basic outline and instrument placing is the same. The details of switch locations and types will probably be different.
BTW black vinyl over plywood is a late Spitfire Mk3 dash. AFAIK GT6s all got veneer. You might want to check your dash layout against another GT6+ before you do a lot of work matching the existing layout.
Good luck,
Paul

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I've got another. been out in the weather WAY too long GT6+ to compare to. The dash is all coming apart on that one. For all I know, some one covered a weather wood veneer with black vinyl. I'll take a picture, on Sat. That's "work on the GT6 at Dad's" day, every week.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster