Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Roger, I've got two versions of the TR gasket on a CAD file now. One as a plain flat gasket like the original and then one with a rim. I'll print each out and post a picture but I'll post this on the TR250 forum where it probably should be.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
Hi Brian

According to the parts manuals I have. The TR4, TR250, early Spitfires use gasket (Washer, seating, escutcheon) 600949 for the trunk handle. Later Spitfires (square tails) use 624729. GT6s used 621373

Everyone seems to supply 600949 as the replacement part for all of them Well Spitbits uses 624729, but it is still the paper gasket. They mention a rubber part and used to say call for availability. Now, it just has $0 for the price.

I think that the original parts were molded, then sometime along the line either Triumph or the suppliers decided that the paper gasket was sufficient.

I know that my 80 Spitfire and 68 GT6 both had molded washers when I got them.

Roger

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Brian,
In your earlier post with the two trunk handles the one on the right appears to match the Spitfire Mk1-3 handle.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Thanks Roger, all good information. I had previously looked up the application for my GT6 and the only source that had any gasket was Spitbits. It looks like a flat piece of rubber that's been die cut. I don't see how the rubber washer on my TR250 could ever have fit my GT6. It nearly falls right over the escutcheon piece. Real sloppy fit. A paper gasket just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll print my parts and then see how it all looks. I'd personally prefer my parts over a paper gasket but that's just me. OEM molded gaskets for these handles I'd say are no longer available and a general substitute has become acceptable. OH WELL, once again I guess I won't be able to finance my purchase of a Caribbean island by selling TR or GT handle gaskets---darn.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Thanks Paul, you have a wealth of information on many Triumph models, must be the clean and cold NH air. That makes me wonder if the GT hatch handle gasket is different from a Spitfire "trunk" handle gasket. I can only compare the two types I have in front of me. Once I print out the new ones, I'll have a better feel for fit. Maybe they did use the larger gasket of the TR on the GT but it is going to be a sloppy fit. I've got both escutcheons in front of me now and I'm scratching my head on how the TR one is going to fit the GT. The major diameter of the GT6 escutcheon is 1.130, the TR major dia. is 1.240.......... .110 is a lot of slop. Can you measure the widest diameter of the escutcheon piece from your Spitfire? That may be helpful.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Brian,
I just took a caliper out to the car, but can't get a measurement. Snow and ice have frozen a rope down on the escutcheon. I hope some other round tail Spitfire owner can get you that measurement.
Good luck,
Paul

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Thanks for the attempt Paul. Darn snow!! I'll have the new gaskets printed this week and will post pictures. Maybe someone has access to their Spitfire and can chime in. It's 10 below this morning here in southwest NH. Likely the same over your way.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Here are new examples for the GT6 and TR250 hatch and trunk handle gaskets. As noted above, it looks possible that the TR250 gasket may be the same as the Spitfire gasket. The GT 6 is definitely different and I didn't find a source that carried them.
I'll post the TR250 gasket on that forum also.
Instead of just a flat washer, I added a rim at the perimeter to capture the escutcheon and seal a little better and it now can't squirm out of round.

Attachments:
GT6 & TR250 rear handle gasket-1.JPG    29 KB
GT6 & TR250 rear handle gasket-1.JPG

GT6 & TR250 rear handle gasket-2.JPG    21.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GT6 & TR250 rear handle gasket-3.JPG    31.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
Those look nice.

Roger

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
After doing some research today, I learned that the GT6 had a "large" escutcheon and a "small" escutcheon. . I presume that the large gasket fits more car models like theTR250 and some of the Spitfires. My GT has the small one.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links