Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Tim, Your solution is pretty good but I will take a good look at what I can come up with that will seal nice.

Originally I thought you were talking about the seal that goes between the heater box and the inside firewall. It has a hole about 4" diameter and the gasket is shaped like a football. I'm going to CAD that one and get it printed real soon. Then I'll look at the one's over the tube that you are showing..

Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cocobear Avatar
Cocobear Gold Member Tim Pouncy
Canyon Lake, CA, USA   USA
You are right about the gasket that goes between the heater box and firewall. They would be awesome to have. smiling smiley having a kit with all the grommets that fit the gt6 I believe could be a money maker. I enjoy what you are doing, keep up the great work

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504039 by Cocobear Also these smiling smiley

Tim, I sliced a couple of pieces off some foam pipe insulation to make these. Worked great! smileys with beer

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cocobear Avatar
Cocobear Gold Member Tim Pouncy
Canyon Lake, CA, USA   USA
That's good to hear smiling smiley coming up with the grommets that fit to the firewall is a pain. The grommet that I used for the transmission cable is the same one used for the wiper, however even the grommets for the speed cable is a problem because the cable nut is really big. I will be fitting a blank grommet to fix that smiling smiley

Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-12-23-14-42-41.jpg    12.9 KB
Screenshot_2017-12-23-14-42-41.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-23-14-44-13.jpg    17.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1504089 by Cocobear That's good to hear smiling smiley coming up with the grommets that fit to the firewall is a pain. The grommet that I used for the transmission cable is the same one used for the wiper, however even the grommets for the speed cable is a problem because the cable nut is really big. I will be fitting a blank grommet to fix that smiling smiley

Tim,
An old trick for the speedometer cable grommet is to cut it so it can be put over the cable without stretching over the nut. RTV silicone can be used to seal the split.
Or one of these will probably stretch the grommet enough to put it over the cable nut. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ideal-economy-band-castrator/0000000268815?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKeGkqGh2AIVUJ7ACh0sSASTEAQYBSABEgJut_D_BwE
I have always managed to get the cables through on my Mk2 Spitfire by hand, and I have to do two grommets per cable because they both pass through the heater box too.
All the best,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Was it suggested to make outter door handle gaskets for square tailes? The stupid cardboard one I bought are useless.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Yes, Tony it was mentioned on #2 response. I don't have easy access to the square tail door handle. If someone has one and can put it on a CAD file then I could look at it.

This morning I just finished the CAD drawing for the round tail door handle gaskets. I had to order some new black filament so it will be a week or so before I can print those out. I've also drawn the gasket between the heater box and inner firewall. Working on other parts also. Too cold to work out in the garage today.
My GT 6 is red so I could have red door handle gaskets to see how that looks. Here is what it looks like on the rear door hatch handle. What do you think? Or stick with black. Many colors to choose from.

Attachments:
GT read rear door handle gasket-1.JPG    30.7 KB
GT read rear door handle gasket-1.JPG

GT rear door handle red-2.JPG    29.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Hi Brian,

When you make the gaskets, I’ll buy three. Thanks for making them! Kyle.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Red looks good, but of all colours Red tends to fade most in the sun. I have no idea how sunfast that material is. Black might be more universal.

In reply to # 1504176 by Bpt70gt Yes, Tony it was mentioned on #2 response. I don't have easy access to the square tail door handle. If someone has one and can put it on a CAD file then I could look at it.

This morning I just finished the CAD drawing for the round tail door handle gaskets. I had to order some new black filament so it will be a week or so before I can print those out. I've also drawn the gasket between the heater box and inner firewall. Working on other parts also. Too cold to work out in the garage today.
My GT 6 is red so I could have red door handle gaskets to see how that looks. Here is what it looks like on the rear door hatch handle. What do you think? Or stick with black. Many colors to choose from.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I'd recommend black.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Count me in for a set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Actually printed the first prototype set of door gaskets today, got the new rubber filament this morning. Got to make a couple "tweaks" on the printer then run another set. I'll post a photo once I'm happy with them.

RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
I have been trying to find the original style trunk handle molded seal/gasket for a long time. From what I can tell it would fit the TR250 (I assume TR4) and all of the GT6s and Spitfires. Even though the locks changed on the later Sptifires and GT6s, the base is still the same size.

I tried making a mold of the one good one I have with out success.

If you are making those for sale, I would buy 3 of them.

Brian, what 3D printer are you using?

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Roger, I just went out to look at my TR250 trunk handle. I can see the gasket is cracked and squeezed out on one side. It looks like a flat piece of dried up rubber. It looks the same size my GT but I'll take the handle off and see if my new gasket fits properly. Glad you mentioned this. If it isn't the same size as my GT then a new gasket for the TR250 will be on my list of things to put on a CAD drawing and print. I'll take off my TR handle and check it out and will report back. Just have to keep my fingers from freezing in this 18 deg. weather today.

The printer that I'm using is a Creality CR10. YouTube it and you'll see it's a popular printer that can do some pretty good detail. Of course there are many good machines out on the market now.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Lets try this again, my post didn't' work for some reason.

Roger, the TR250 trunk handle gasket is not the same as the GT6. See the comparison in the picture. The TR is on the right. Notice the big difference in the hole size. The metal escutcheon boss is much larger on the TR. However, that's not a problem. Doesn't take long to put the gasket for the TR on a CAD drawing. Then I'll print a prototype and check for fit. The question now is do I make it just a flat gasket like the original or add a rim for the escutcheon to set in like I did for the GT gasket. I like the rim because is dresses it up a bit. I suspect the factory made them flat because they could die stamp them very quickly and cheaply from a flat piece of rubber versus making a mold and molding a contoured gasket. I'm going to make mine with the rim I think, a purist will not like that but I'm not that pure. What do you think?

Attachments:
GT comparison to TR trunk handle gasket.JPG    30.6 KB
GT comparison to TR trunk handle gasket.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links