AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Triumph felt their tool would serve.

It fits over the carb throat.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GarrettWendt Avatar
GarrettWendt Garrett Wendt
Victor, NY, USA   USA
hmmm...interesting...can this be measured from the Filter Side of the carbs?

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Try increasing the fuel pressure to 2 pounds pressure and see if the engine revs higher and maybe some of the popping and etc. will stop too.....just a hunch but I know when my temporary fuel tank while restoring my car ran low, I would get odd popping from my webers probably due the inconsistent amount of fuel going to them. Once I replenished the fuel all was good. Simple to adjust and worth a try before doing other things.

Once you get this sorted out we can get back to the vacuum analysis. You may have to make a vacuum balance tube as I did for my webers which did not have vacuum taps available - easy to do. I will send a picture if necessary but we are not there yet.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GarrettWendt Avatar
Victor, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Doug!

I will make that adjustment tomorrow and get back to you!

Actually, I noticed today the FPR was barely above 0 PSI, though the glass fuel filter post FPR seemed full of fuel.

I did notice some fuel drip at Carb # 2 also...I will need to adjust that float too...though it is not as bad as Carb #4 was.

I did have it idling even lower today...probably about 900...still not sure how accurate my Tach is...an engineer friend played around with it to convert it to use with electronic ignition. May need fine tuning still. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 09:29 PM by GarrettWendt.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Have you set your valve clearance? Possibly #1 intake valve is hanging open.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

GarrettWendt Avatar
Victor, NY, USA   USA
J.P. you just reminded me I am calling these carbs by the wrong numbers still! hahaha...

#1 is front of car right?

No I haven't touched anything like that yet.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Assume you confirmed the butterflies are visually linked to close together.

GarrettWendt Avatar
Victor, NY, USA   USA
Yes they are all linked and move together in unison.

GarrettWendt Avatar
Victor, NY, USA   USA
Ok, today I adjusted the floats on carb #3 that was also leaking fuel back out the filter side...

4th Start.

Symptoms:
  1. Oil Leaking at Dipstick...I've read lots about this on this forum about positive pressure...will eventually address that.
  2. Fuel Pressure Regulator still shows at almost 0 PSI despite multiple adjustments hi and lo.
  3. Still limited RPMs when revving engine...whether a gently push acceslorator or mash it to the floor...can only go so high then dives back down.
  4. more little leaking at Carb #1, #3, and #4 now

Sigh.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
See if you can hold at 25k. That's a good start of the power band. You want it to purr. Zero flutter at that rpm.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
That sound of the popping and the limited RPM is definitely a fuel starvation problem. If I recall in one of your previous posts your fuel pressure showed 0.5 lbs pressure. Now it shows 0????
Did you ever run the engine without the regulator or did you just add it for protection from over pressure to the carbs? If the regulator has stopped working for some reason or the gauge is defective I would go back to a direct connection from the fuel pump to the carbs of course if you have done this before and it was flooding the carbs then that won't work. If you never ran it directly to the carbs in the past then it is worth a try.

Forget about that little bit of oil out of the dipstick for now. It could be as simple as spill or not stop gasket on the dipstick.....forget it for now.

Do not confuse carb leaking from fuel spit-back from the carbs. When an engine is not running well and the popping I hear in the video there can be fuel spit-back.

I see no leaking at the carbs.

In reply to # 1533845 by GarrettWendt Ok, today I adjusted the floats on carb #3 that was also leaking fuel back out the filter side...

4th Start.

Symptoms:
  1. Oil Leaking at Dipstick...I've read lots about this on this forum about positive pressure...will eventually address that.
  2. Fuel Pressure Regulator still shows at almost 0 PSI despite multiple adjustments hi and lo.
  3. Still limited RPMs when revving engine...whether a gently push acceslorator or mash it to the floor...can only go so high then dives back down.
  4. more little leaking at Carb #1, #3, and #4 now

Sigh.

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, KY, USA   USA
Those rubber tipped float needles get hard with age and give nothing but headaches. Not sure if your rebuild guy replaced them or not, but its usually necessary on old bike carbs. Keihin, and Mikuni cv`s have been used since the 70s. I`m not sure how old yours are. If you know which vehicle yours came from. I find needles are much cheaper on Ebay, or sometimes Parts n more than from the dealer. Also I`m not sure if it has been mentioned, but the vacuum advance needs to be connected to port vacuum, not manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum decreases at throttle opening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 04:04 PM by joppamoto.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Well it sure looks pretty.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster