AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi all,
I am switching to an electronic distributor (AccuSpark distributor from the UK) from the stock points distributor and have misplaced the directions on where the two wires connect. I know the red ( + ) wire goes to the positive side of the coil, dose the black ( - ) connect to the negative side as shown in the photos attached. I don’t want to burn-up the electronic module by hooking it up wrong and applying electricity so any help is appreciated.
cool smiley

Thanks.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
C72178A3-0AB4-48F4-A9EA-5104A8CCA685.jpeg    41.4 KB
C72178A3-0AB4-48F4-A9EA-5104A8CCA685.jpeg

77A8102E-E577-43C3-8B47-ED866F3F9B57.jpeg    36.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Martin, others will comment on the power hook up, but looking at your picture I worry that the wires in the distributot are too tight, and that they may not allow the vacuum advance to rotate the contact plate without pulling them into contact with the distributor shaft.

The other thing. Are you absolutely possitive that there is no resistor or resistor wire in your power supply to the ignition unit?

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1490591 by Tonyfixit Martin, others will comment on the power hook up, but looking at your picture I worry that the wires in the distributot are too tight, and that they may not allow the vacuum advance to rotate the contact plate without pulling them into contact with the distributor shaft.

The other thing. Are you absolutely possitive that there is no resistor or resistor wire in your power supply to the ignition unit?

Hi Tony M,
Thank you for the quick response.
I will add some more of a loop inside of the distributor so the wires will not get caught or fowl the vac advance plate as you have pointed out.
I have not identified a resistor or any sign of a resistor wire in the ignition wiring and understand that if there is one the negative (black) wire would need to be relocated to the ignition switch I believe but am not sure.
Watched a couple video’s but no a single one showing this exact setup and for the life of me I can not find the instructions that came with the distributor.
I do have to say I read them when I first received this unit but that was two weeks ago and I paid more attention to the physical installation section that the wiring diagram as I followed that part of the directions that evening when I removed the old distributor and placed the new one into its current location. I guess I should have been more careful as to where I put those directions or completed the installation that evening but life has a way of getting in the way especially when family comes first.
Again thanks for the advice and pointing out the wires being tight.
cool smiley

Corrected spelling.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 11:19 AM by MHKflyer52.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I would guess that you are right in assuming the black from the ignition unit goes to the -side of the coil. But you know what they say about ASSUME.

I do not understand your comment on connecting a black wire to the ignition switch.
Normally all ignition controlled wires are White. My fear would be that on many cars a pink and white resistance wire was incorporated within the loom feeding the coil.
If that is the case, you may inadvertantly be feeding less than optimal current to your coil and ignition unit.

Did you get the new dizzy with the Accuspark ignition?

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Martin,
I'm partly with Tony. I don't think your GT6 has a ballast wire. If it had a ballasted system it would have had a ceramic ballast resistor near the coil. But the red wire is the one that would be supplied by the ignition switch (as Tony says) if your car does have a ballast resistor of any type.
All the best,
Paul

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1490597 by Tonyfixit I would guess that you are right in assuming the black from the ignition unit goes to the -side of the coil. But you know what they say about ASSUME.

I do not understand your comment on connecting a black wire to the ignition switch.
Normally all ignition controlled wires are White. My fear would be that on many cars a pink and white resistance wire was incorporated within the loom feeding the coil.
If that is the case, you may inadvertantly be feeding less than optimal current to your coil and ignition unit.

Did you get the new dizzy with the Accuspark ignition?

Hi Tony,

Black wire to ground at the switch is what I should have said.
Yes a brand new one. Basicly plug and play.
Only difference I can see is the vacume port on the bellows on the distributor is located in a different place.
I am going to have the original distributor rebuilt once I find someone locally, well here on the south west coast that can due it if there is still anyone out there that dose that sort of thing anymore for a reasonable price.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Paul,
Red wire to positive side of coil.
I agree.
Black wire to negative side of coil as shown in the photos.
Just making sure so as to not kill the module.
Thanks for the info and help.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
[video]
[/quote]

Thank Calvin.
Watched it and decided I have mine connected correctly.
Car runs great now.
Thanks to all that posted with helpful advice and info.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 02:01 PM by MHKflyer52.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I like the fact that they supply a little heat sink grease with the kit. The hardwear on that Accuspark also seems a little more robust than Petronix.

Keep us posted as to how it works for you. thumbs up

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Ok. I will.
Just returned from a twenty mile drive and so far my car is running great.
It even seems to pull better when going through the gears.
Might just be my imagination but it sure seems to run better that it did before.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1490648 by MHKflyer52 Ok. I will.
Just returned from a twenty mile drive and so far my car is running great.
It even seems to pull better when going through the gears.
Might just be my imagination but it sure seems to run better that it did before.
cool smiley

No doubt that the ignition timing is more accurate (especially on a 6 cyl engine) with the electronic ignition.

Just think of those 6 lobes on the distributor cam each having to open the points at exactly the right degree of crank rotation. Also the dizzy is turning at half crank speed, so one degree off at the points is 2 degrees off at the crank!

When I heped test some 4 cyl Lucas points distributors in the early 70's, a typical, brand new distributor had 4 degrees ignition scatter!

It kind of made trying to set accurate ignition timing futile :-(

But back then the Achilles heal of EI was reliability. OE manufacturers soon overcame that, so for the last 30+ years nobody now really worries about the ignition on their modern verhicles.
Which causes ME to expect BETTER from the aftermarket kit suppliers that still seem to have a high failier rate compared to OE systems.

I hope yours works well for you. EI was one of the best things I did for my car, and I would never go back to points and condensor. But still some of the aftermarket kits that have been on the market leave some owners doubtful.

PS. I have had no experiance with accuspark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 07:07 PM by Tonyfixit.

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
good choice Martin, better than the XR700 package.

Attachments:
cwIMG_1392 XR700 requires some hands on.JPG    33.3 KB
cwIMG_1392 XR700 requires some hands on.JPG

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
Hey Martin, I'd really like to hear what symptoms of poor(er) running you experienced with the old dizzy. I went with an Accuspark drop in on my spitfire dizzy and it's been great. I've really wanted to go for the whole dizzy like you did for my gt6. Did you get the one with the tac drive? Super interested

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1490737 by arturo64 Hey Martin, I'd really like to hear what symptoms of poor(er) running you experienced with the old dizzy. I went with an Accuspark drop in on my spitfire dizzy and it's been great. I've really wanted to go for the whole dizzy like you did for my gt6. Did you get the one with the tac drive? Super interested

Hi Artur,

Well the symptoms were this in order.
1. Felt like fuel starvation. Car would be running fine and then just loose power for a short time then kept running.
2. Determined that it was not a fuel issue but an ignition system problem.
3. Replaced coil, condenser, plugs, points, wires, rotor and cap.
4. Car ran good but had an stumble from time to time but ran well.
5. Found that I was going through points and rotors and rotor caps more than normal an just figured that the points were just cheap replacement parts so I carried a couple along with rotor cap and condenser and rotor button. Seemed to be ok on local drives and ran well.
6. Decided to go to Triumphfest 2017 in Flagstaff, Az. with some other friends and did a complete tuneup before leaving. Car was running great on the start of the first day of the trip but started to have a miss while cruising to the first overnight stop.
7. Replaced the points and rotor and rotor cap and condenser along the side of the road but the issue continued so the car came back on a flatbed to my home. Spent the evening trouble shooting the issue and found that at idle everything was working fine but when running under load the car developed a stumble. Checked the fuel flow and fuel thinking that the mechanical fuel pump was failing or the fuel was the issue but found that it was not.
8. Decided to pull the distributor because I was thinking the vac advance plate was hanging up or the plate was worn and causing the issue.
9. Once out I realized that the distributor shaft was able to move up and down about a half inch I knew that it was the problem and that the issue was a worn out distributor.
10. Ordered a new distributor that came out of England and made for the GT6 with the mechanical tach drive and modern electronics.

I did make it to Triumphfest but in one of my other cars and joined the group I started out with the day before at the Grand Canyon and still had a great time.

Hope this answers you question.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links