74 spitfire

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hdmike444 Mike S
Uxbridge, MA, USA   USA
So I have an opportunity to buy my father in laws 74 spit and am wondering what a fair price to pay is?
He is the second owner, he bought it from the original owner about 8 years ago. It has only 20xxx miles on it. It spen a lot of time sitting obviously but is rust free. Carpets are faded, otherwise interior is decent other than dry seals and rubbers. Windshield needs new rubber.All original other than a new muffler but needs new exhaust due to cracked manifold, and muffler packed with bird seed from mice. Has original zenith carb that leaks but runs. Brakes need a rebuild but work, I assume motor mounts and all rubber bushings etc are dried up.needs tires due to mild dry rot. Really a good solid base to start with. A friend of his said it's worth 20 -25k which is way off base. He paid around 4-5 for it then proceeded to let it sit . Any thoughts on a reasonable value. I would be buying this to keep in the family but am not close to what he thought it was worth. I told him his friend was way off base so he asked me to get a reasonable price. My thought knowing what it needs I wanted to be in the 3-3500 range. Am I way off?
Appreciate any input
Looking forward to getting a fun car/project if it's worth it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Mike - I think that your offer is a fair one. I bought a very nice '80 Spitfire last year. It needed nothing, looks great, absolutely no rust. The only money that I've spent on it were for things that I wanted to add. Hold on...I did replace the rear brakes.

Hdmike444 Mike S
Uxbridge, MA, USA   USA
Couple pics

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0175.JPG    47.2 KB
IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG    60.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Perhaps the friend would be willing to buy it for you for $10k ;-)

I think you idea of it's value is about right.

Do not read too much into the low milage, that does not necessarily mean the engine is in sound condition. Short runs and sitting can take it's toll.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1482223 by Hdmike444 So I have an opportunity to buy my father in laws 74 spit and am wondering what a fair price to pay is?

You could give him back his daughter.

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
So Doug do you do "Stand Up" in Vegas?

In reply to # 1482259 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1482223 by Hdmike444 So I have an opportunity to buy my father in laws 74 spit and am wondering what a fair price to pay is?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1482264 by Manistee

That was bad enough for it.

Vegas is where Has Beens come to die.

Case in point: Celine Dion's 10,000th time singing "My Heart Will Go On" from "Titanic" which came out on VHS.

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Think you are very close. You can always show him the completed listings on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/6001/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=triumph+spitfire&_trksid=p2045573.m2012&_dmpt=null

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1482270 by Doug in Vegas

Case in point: Celine Dion's 10,000th time singing "My Heart Will Go On" from "Titanic" which came out on VHS.

Doug, show some tact, there are Canadians here!

Next you could be bad mouthing Justin Bieber ;-)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1482289 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1482270 by Doug in Vegas

Doug, show some tact, there are Canadians here!

Next you could be bad mouthing Justin Bieber ;-)

This was enough:

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
Mike,

Your offer is in the ball park. We have quite a few local listing regularly here in Ma and RI.

Dealing with your father in law adds a certain element to this deal. It's not always the best plan.

Regarding your friend's appraisal:

Please send him to my home in Rehoboth, Ma. I have several items I'd like to sell him...

PS, my office is very near Uxbridge, and I'd be happy to visit the Spit with you. Perhaps it would be easier for your father in law to hear an appraisal from someone other than you. If the weather is nice, I can visit with my Spit, he will have something to compare it to...

Alan

PM sent

Alan Roseman
President
British Motorcars of New England

www.bmcne.org

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
I'm thinking a good FIL would say "Just take it Mike. Take my daughter for rides and work on it with my grandson/granddaughter." Now wouldn't that be nice? (Que the birds singing and butterflies)

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
Personally I'd have to repaint it due to those godawful pinstripes that don't suit a british sports car. (But look awesome on old chevy's and fords)

$3500 USD sounds high to me considering the work it needs. I don't think I'd go a dime over $3000... plus he's the FIL so there has to be a family discount in there somewhere.

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
In reply to # 1482983 by TheBomb Personally I'd have to repaint it due to those godawful pinstripes that don't suit a british sports car. (But look awesome on old chevy's and fords)

A second on the 1970's paint job scroll work... it's gotta go.

Alan Roseman
President
British Motorcars of New England

www.bmcne.org

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
Please send anyone willing to pay 25k for that car, mine must be worth double that. All though I am in love with mine I would part with it at 25 k. Then I would buy at least 3 more.
Does it come with another daughter?

Make a list of your needs for the car along with prices. Share it with him.

3k is good. Then for all the stuff you need to do, another 3k.

5k car. 1st purchase new tires.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 01:10 PM by lef2wander.

Attachments:
IMG_20150926_101835.jpg    62.7 KB
IMG_20150926_101835.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster