Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
I have just been putting back together the front suspension & brake system on my 69 GT6 +: new brake rotors, calipers, brake hard line & flex line. But notice that the support bracket that mounted off the top caliper bolt is no longer in the correct position to work with the new flex or hard lines? If I just connect the lines together without the bracket mounted you can see how far it is out of position in the photos. Without the bracket mounted there is sufficient flex travel for lock to lock movement, but with the bracket mounted the flex line is not long enough, as well I would have to really bend the already "pre-bent" hard line purchased to make fit. I see my only option is to make a new longer brake pipe support bracket. This is only an L shaped affair, but why should this be necessary?
Brake calipers and hard lines were purchased from BPNW and the brake flex hoses from VB, (the similar problem exists on both sides of car RH shown).
Has anyone else encountered this problem? or is there another mounting bracket available?
Thank you for your help, Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P1000651.JPG    44 KB
P1000651.JPG

P1000652.JPG    57.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1000653.JPG    47.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Compare the new to the old, appears the new ones are too short.
If so, contact the vendor.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Paul, The GT6 lines are longer coming from the front, but your hard lines are no where near the original ones.
Have a look here, but your stuff is all after market, so like Carter said check the new verse old.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=triumph+gt6+front+suspension&fr=yfp-t-s&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teglerizer.com%2Ftriumphstuff%2Fimages%2Fgt6br%2Fsuspensionpaint8.jpg#id=3&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmyweb.tiscali.co.uk%2Ftlweb%2Fgt6%2Frepmod%2Fmodifications%2Ffr_sus_images%2Frebuild_5.jpg&action=click

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Something is not right there. But it is a job to see exactly what from the photos. The brake hoses look to be a little short, and really VB is probably the last place I would buy brake hoses.

I suggest you spend a few more $ and get a pair of Goodridge SS hoses and ask when you order them "how long are they" a supplier that knows what they are selling should be able to tell you this.

Apart from anything else, I once had a problem with spongy brakes due to cheap brake hoses swelling under pressure. They are just not worth it!

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi guys, yes both the hard line & flex lines are slightly different. For one thing the PO had the bleed screw & brake line reversed on both old wheel calipers, and the hard line was excessively long to the bracket. When I measure the new flex line, it only appears to be about 1/2" shorter, but when simulating the full lock it becomes way too tight, and appears like it should be given another 2" in length! The problem is without a doubt in the flex lines, although they were purchased from V.B. as part 7-843 they are marked as a Moss part 584-081, and state on the packet TR4A-6, and GT6 made in UK? I guess you cannot still have full confidence even when parts state made in UK.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Regards,
Paul

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Ted Schumacher makes ss braided sets for around $80. If you want them a little longer he will likely accommodate.
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

RochierJ James Rochier
Bellevue, NE, USA   USA
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Gemma"
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem...I had the same issue. New brake hoses on front seemed too short. They reach, but have almost no play if the wheels are fully turned. Measured against the old, I found them to be the same length. I really struggled to figure out what I had done wrong. Then IT HIT ME...the frame had no engine or body on it. The suspension is fully extended. After putting the engine in, there will be plenty of extra length.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
I had a little problem with the universal that BPNW was selling and told them to take them off the the list as fitting the front of the GT6. Well, about two weeks ago, I ordered them for my can, (Spit6) and guess what, they came in at 11 1/4 inches for full length, but only effective length from bracket to bracket of 9 inches, they sent out another set and they are the same. They are measuring the full length and that's what it should be the length between the brackets according to the ones I took off. VB sales the same hose and states it's only 11 1/2 inches.
Maybe buying a full set of SS would be the right ones, but I'm using Spitfire in the rear.
I did make it work by bending pipes and brackets, but not happy. The rear on a later Spitfire, (my only comparison on hand) seems to be close and has the bubble on each end.
Just having a little problem that BPNW doesn't seem to get it, They Don't Fit!!!!!
I'm done, sorry for the rant.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster