LED taillights retro fit - not bulbs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spokester Jerry Joseph
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
The total time for us to change both rear fixtures to LEDs was less than 1 hour; probably less than an hour considering we chatted a while about his Spitfire.

Before he left, we did a little photo op with his and my cars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170806_163448.jpg    49.4 KB
20170806_163448.jpg

20170806_163528.jpg    53.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Spokester Jerry Joseph
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
Here's a short clip of the LED boards versus the standard bulbs.

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, NY, USA   USA
sent you a PM

In reply to # 1419639 by wetwolf Purest may want to look away.

I have had LED replacement bulbs in my spit for a while. I was very underwhelmed at their performance. I starting thinking there has to be a better option.

I also did not like the original set up due to the spotty ground and less than stellar chrome reflector in my original taillights.

After a lot of CAD, cardboard, bending/unbending/rebending of metal, I have settled on these.

The bracket is all me. The lights are eagle eye LEDs. Instead of a point beam, they spread the light nicely. They do not use your reflector in your light housing.

The bracket allows the LED to sit far enough back so the light fills the taillight lens.

The ground wires are wired to the ground cable. No more grounding through the light housing.

Simple install. Undo four nuts. slide on unit. Plug in wires. Reinstall four nuts. Done. You do not have to remove the light housing from the car.

And yes, they are bright. One LED is yellow for the turn signals. One is white for reverse. The other is a dual color of Red/White for the brake/parking. Yes, one is noticeable dimmer than the other so you can tell when the brake light is lit.

You do need to add a digital flasher unit. I used this one:

flasher

It is a direct plug in. All you have to do is run a ground wire to it.

I made two sets so far. I had the blanks professionally cut and bent them myself using a vise press brake.

Alan - slowly ridding the spitfire of 60's lighting technology....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
good spending time with Jerry and getting a ride in his 914. that thing scoots! his boards are a work of art to my eyes and a serious upgrade in both lit up area and overall brightness. I tried to take some comparison pictures with my 2012 Mazda which does not have leds but should at least be a benchmark for a modern car.

In order you are looking at turn signals, reverse lights, and then brake lights

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 06:56 PM by Growe58.

Attachments:
20170807_193432.jpg    35.9 KB
20170807_193432.jpg

20170807_193846.jpg    37.9 KB
20170807_193709.jpg    37.7 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Excellent demonstration.

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
You should have warned me to wear sunglasses. Lol.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Breaking news:
A commercial flight was forced to abort and go around for another try when the pilots were " ... blinded by what appeared to be a small atomic explosion, or maybe a laser".
"In my 20 years of flying, I never saw anything so bright and intense, even when I was doing carrier landings" the pilot said.

In other news, police and homeowners are baffled by reports of what may be vandalism, where the paint on garage doors is suddenly blistering and flaking off.
"It looks like the paint has been exposed to intense sunlight, or weathered in the desert for 50 years, it's discolored and almost scorched in some cases." according to one resident.

OK, OK, I had my fun, it's good when a project works out and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Good job.

Carter

Spokester Jerry Joseph
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
Thanks Carter,

The install went much smoother than I was expecting. Most of that was Greg doing the dismantle and install of the light fixtures and lenses. The turnsignal board is a bit too long and the hole for the outside screw boss is off by 25mil but it still fit.

I'd be curious to get your feedback when you see them in person. If you would like to evaluate the boards, I'll give you a set of rear turnsignals, brakes, and reverse boards to keep for either your Spitfire or TR6. PM me if you're interested.

Jerry

In reply to # 1476505 by clshore Breaking news:
A commercial flight was forced to abort and go around for another try when the pilots were " ... blinded by what appeared to be a small atomic explosion, or maybe a laser".
"In my 20 years of flying, I never saw anything so bright and intense, even when I was doing carrier landings" the pilot said.

In other news, police and homeowners are baffled by reports of what may be vandalism, where the paint on garage doors is suddenly blistering and flaking off.
"It looks like the paint has been exposed to intense sunlight, or weathered in the desert for 50 years, it's discolored and almost scorched in some cases." according to one resident.

OK, OK, I had my fun, it's good when a project works out and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Good job.

Carter

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1476974 by Spokester
The install went much smoother than I was expecting. Most of that was Greg doing the dismantle and install of the light fixtures and lenses.

And you are kind enough not to mention that the install took a little longer as it had to be done twice on the one side as I forgot to install the light fixture gasket the first time!

I have two further updates

My daughter was visiting last night so I had her drive the spit around the block while I followed her in a “normal” car so I could experience what traffic will be seeing. The increased brightness was of course a given but I think the real unexpected benefit was the larger area of light. The entire brake light fixture glows a consistent bright square, rather than having a point of light in the middle which diffuses as it moves outwards. It really is far more attention grabbing.

The other issue that I noticed was that even though the turn signals worked properly with the stock flasher unit (at least for me), the indicator on the dash would flash once and then no more. Puzzling to me, but the electronic flasher unit that Alan Tate links to above took care of that problem. Note that as far as I could determine, you can’t just use any three prong flasher unit – you have to get one marked B (battery), L (load) and P (panel). Most of them seem to be B, L and – which I don’t think will work. (This is on the later cars – the earlier cars of course have separate 2 prong flasher units for hazards and turn signals and I have no advice on their suitability with LEDs or the correct replacement).

wetwolf Avatar
wetwolf Alan Tate
Puyallup, WA, USA   USA
I had a few people ask about the bracket in the original thread. Here is the non-profit deal, actual cost plus a $10/order estimate to ship parts to me:

at 5 cars, the bracket fully cut out and bent up by a professional shop, a pair of brackets are 37.16 plus whatever shipping to you. A tad expensive.

At 10 cars, a pair is 24.90 + shipping

At 25 cars, a pair is 17.54 + shipping.

The ones in the picture were blanked by the shop and bent in my vise. Ok for me to do a few early samples. Not ok for 50 as each part has 12 bends. Same with wiring those lights. You get to do that.

Also, the above does not include lights. The lights are about $9 for all six when buying 10 LEDs at a time. I have 4 sets already.

Jerry's solution is much more elegant. If you like his better, please, contact him and get on his list. No hard feelings at all. I hope he does well.

If you think the prices are high, it really is all about volume, or lack there of.

Alan

Spokester Jerry Joseph
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
Alan, good to see you offering your taillight solution to everyone. It looks very well made and should fit well. Anything that increases the light output (up to the legal maximum) of these old and precious cars is a step in the right direction.

Everyone should also be thinking about installing a 3rd brake light as well. I believe this is the most important brake light of all since it's right there higher up than the standard brake lights. There's all kinds of LED light strips which can be mounted on the trunk or top and spliced into the brake circuit.

Here's my 914 with 3rd brake light installed. I purchased a 12 inch strip from Summit Racing and decided to mount it below the targa trim strip

Attachments:
post-3031-1408299529_thumb.jpg    22 KB
post-3031-1408299529_thumb.jpg

FrankD Avatar
FrankD Frank D
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
Jerry stopped by last weekend and we installed a set of his LEDs. The boards are very well done. I wish I took a picture of a set. Here are a few photos. One shows how the gasket is trimmed to accommodate the board. The shots that show the boards illuminated are in direct sun.

Attachments:
E0C7625B-4E30-4767-8767-57A5839574E7.jpeg    36.2 KB
E0C7625B-4E30-4767-8767-57A5839574E7.jpeg

7E071C85-A3EB-4CB1-89D9-C5AEEC0B18B3.jpeg    51.2 KB
5E470395-ECA0-4075-834D-989F924FB74B.jpeg    54.8 KB
FF5BE6FE-0105-47B3-BD8A-2A4D028972DB.jpeg    50.2 KB
Spokester Jerry Joseph
Allentown, PA, USA   USA
Frank,

Glad we got to hang out and install the lights. It was a pleasure to meet you and your dad. So cool that you and your dad can share in such a fun hobby.

If anyone is interested, I've added the rear brake, turnsignal, and reverse LED boards to my website. Turnsignals (pair) and brakes (pair) are $90 each, and the reverse are $60. I have a 10% Christmas sale going on till Jan.

SpokeworksLED

The install went well. Frank did the cutting of the gasket to fit the lights. Unfortunately the gasket must be cut as the board spacers span from the light fixture to the lens with no room for the gasket in between.

The only electrical issue encountered were the reverse lights as one time when Frank Sr. got the car inspected, the reverse lights wouldn't work because of socket issues (sound familiar?). The inspector cut the QC connector off and crimped an aftermarket bulb socket on so Frank Sr. had to run to buy a couple of QC connectors.

Their car is absolutely beautiful. It's been frame off restored and there's not one bit of rust or paint chips to be found. Very nice.

Attachments:
20171119_133036.jpg    38.6 KB
20171119_133036.jpg

20171119_144359.jpg    44.3 KB
20171119_144405.jpg    50.7 KB
20171119_144331.jpg    40.9 KB
Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
If anyone has any questions, I've been running these boards for almost four months. Feel free to PM me and I'll share my impressions. Cliff Notes: I love 'em!

corvus13 Jonathan Green
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Just received my set from Jerry. Fully restoring my Spitfire from the ground up so these seemed like a no brainer. They are very well put together, I daresay a lot of time went into these to give them such a professional fit and finish. Installation was a breeze and Jerry was even kind enough to send a new pair of gaskets already cut for the install. I had ordered NOS lenses so I didn't have to worry about bad fasteners or broken lenses (tip..when you get the lenses NOS, they come with new screws to replace the corroded ones). I won't have these on the car anytime soon, as I am waiting for paint, but I hooked em up to a battery and they are bright. Really bright. All in all, a great mod for the price. If anyone in the the PNW area is near me and wants to check them out in person, just shoot me a PM. Thanks Jerry for delivering a great product with good customer service (always answered my emails promptly)

Later
Jonathan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links