Is this car Left or Right hand drive?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ShaneM Shane Meharg
Belfast, Antrim, UK   GBR
Hey all, so I've put down a deposit on a car and I pick it up tomorrow and it struck me that the car might be left hand drive. I know it seems like a stupid error but the plate was registered in the UK the year the car was made so I felt pretty secure in thinking it was R/H drive. However I was reading the Workshop Manual and it states that the "L" denotes left hand drive models and I got worried. I'd rather not bug the seller any more than I have already and given that I'l be able to check myself tomorrow it seems pretty pointless annoying the old guy so I wondered if anyone here could tell me more.

The plate is LJH 438L.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
So you're buying a car unseen? Trusting soul, you are.

ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
Plate doesn't help you unless you check with DVLA Swansea.

I lived in the UK until 1982 that suffix L on the number plate is UK model year. I had a 76 Ford that had a P plate so that spitfire is 1973 I think (they didn't use O n the sequence) .

You need the commission number to check the actual build lhd/ rhd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 10:45 AM by ExPatBrit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
LOL

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1390815 by grubscrew LOL
Would that be just "LO" in the UK? winking smiley

Seriously, though....

As Mike pointed out, it is the commission number that might or might not have a final "L" to denote left-hand steering as built. Even then, hundreds if not thousands of cars originally exported to places such as North America have since been "repatriated" and then converted to RH steering for convenience in driving in the UK.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 12:19 PM by Herald948.

ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1390828 by Herald948
In reply to # 1390815 by grubscrew LOL
Would that be just "LO" in the UK? winking smiley

Seriously, though....

As Mike pointed out, it is the commission number that might or might not have a final "L" to denote left-hand steering as built. Even then, hundreds if not thousands of cars originally exported to places such as North America have since been "repatriated" and then converted to RH steering for convenience in driving in the UK.
t

If you repatriate a 73 car it doesn't automatically get a retro 73 number plate. The plates in 73 were distributed by the county where it was first registered. Most likely this is UK rhd car , unless the original owner bought it as Lhd for some inexplicable reason.

For a while you could buy plates from scrapped vehicles , that was a way of getting a personalized plate ,not sure if that is true now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 03:42 PM by ExPatBrit.

MCJ1 Mike J
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
First registered on 17th January 1973 according to the DVLA site. The 'JH' index in the registration number indicates that the car (assuming the registration number has always belonged to your car) was first registered in Hertfordshire.

DVLA site also says the capacity is 1998cc. GT6 or Spitfire with a GT6 engine? Please post some pictures when you get it Shane.

ShaneM Shane Meharg
Turned out to just be nerves the night before the purchase, it is RHD as I originally assumed. She's in rough shape but I'm happy with her. As requested some pictures of my new GT6 (which was taken off the road a year after I was born btw).

Attachments:
IMG_0191_resized.jpg    27.9 KB
IMG_0191_resized.jpg

P M ROACH Philip R
Bruton, UK   GBR
I owned LJH438L GT6 ?1979-1984 in UK. Was right hand drive then. She looks tired in photos but glad still around! I have photos of her looking good back then. Will try & scan if you like? Think I was second owner from new.

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1525747 by P M ROACH I owned LJH438L GT6 ?1979-1984 in UK. Was right hand drive then. She looks tired in photos but glad still around! I have photos of her looking good back then. Will try & scan if you like? Think I was second owner from new.

Wow very cool story....nice to see a car like this coming back to life.

ShaneM Shane Meharg
Morning Philip, I'd love to see some pictures of her in her hayday. After you gave her up she was badly mistreated, and was left to rot in a hedge in Essex for nearly 20 years.

The little GT6 is safely tucked into my workshop now and even though I haven't had time to work on her lately shes dry and parts are starting to accumulate for the eventual restoration.

Shane

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Well done Shane!! Most of us here in the US would love to start out with something so complete. share pics of the journey!!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Pretty neat story... I'd love to know what happened to the Spit I owned in 1980.... but without any #'s... I'll never know...

Z

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
The "L" suffix is only applicable on commission number plates, not the number plates assigned by the MOT.

P M ROACH Philip R
Bruton, UK   GBR
Shane,
In haste, photos attached. Look forward to news!
Philip

Attachments:
GT6 LJH438L 1982 (1).JPG    47.8 KB
GT6 LJH438L 1982 (1).JPG

GT6 LJH438L 1982 (2).JPG    41.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GT6 LJH438L 1982 (3).JPG    43.5 KB
GT6 LJH438L 1982 (4).JPG    25.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links