AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pats54 Avatar
Pats54 Gold Member Mark M
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
2012 Volvo C70 "The Weekender"
How are you guys doing today
I was wondering if any one has had any experance with the armrest that they are selling on spitfire options
Is it worth the $200 he is asking? VB sells a new one for 190 without all the extras
I could just recover it, spit options has a new skin for 40

Any feed back will help.

Thanks you guys are the best
Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
1989 Toyota MR2 "Coral"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
Do you mean the one which has storage areas inside it?

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b AW11 1600 twin cam
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Yes storage,power port and a cup holder
Have you tried one?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Search for arm rests or center consoles on tis site. There are some nice junkyard finds that can be made to fit if you are handy

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Lots of people stroll thru Pick A Part for this kind of thing.

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
I have one ....i dont remember it being that much. Anyway...was a gift.

I like it. Keeps my elbow, arm at a comfortable engle/level. Has a parts holder.....i mean cupholder on it.
Even wired in the power port, which i haven't used...and probably never will.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    49.2 KB
image.jpeg

74Spit Avatar
74Spit Rick Ladd
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
I have the same one as Frank. Very happy with it. I can fit my gps inside the storage. Cup holder is nice use of space. Perfect height for your elbow.

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Frank it looks great
Ya $195 seams like a lot to me the added extras such as the added padding to change the angle of your arm
The cup holder and power port ( my lighter work ) I think I will spend some time researching I have seen OEM on
Spitbits and British parts NW for about 170

Mine is not in that bad of shape a little tear under the hand break. Will see perhaps a new skin and some foam.

Thanks for your input

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, NY, USA   USA
The first things I bought for my Spitfire when I got it on the road.

The Arm Rest is worth its weight in gold, keeps sun glasses, gps, parking tickets within reach and the cup holder fits my Manhattan glass.

The Rear Deck Storage holds everything else out of sight from prying eyes and is lockable.

I have made both items removable with a threaded bolt in the drive train tunnel and a pair of bolts on the rear deck.

Attachments:
IMG_2883.JPG    45.8 KB
IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG    45.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MrModerator Avatar
MrModerator Mike H
Bellows falls, VT, USA   USA
I love mine. Keeps arm at perfect height and angle. Fair amount of room for little stuff like cell and sunglasses. Also have glove box as shown in Frank's picture another good addition. Both are pretty easy to install.

CraigL Avatar
CraigL Gold Member Craig Larsen
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
Hi Mark,

I purchased the armrest from Spitfire Options. Overall, I am happy with the extra space - as many have mentioned. The quality of the product is not so great. There is an over-dependence of adhesives rather than secure fasteners. The adhesive separates. The handbrake boot will separate from the armrest, for example. A metal clasp closing the lid will come off. The clasp is really not needed as the weight of the lid will keep it closed. I just removed the clasp altogether. I did not wire the cigarette lighter as the existing cigarette lighter is so close. The height of the Options armrest is a little taller than my stock '75, but you can adjust the shifter knob to compensate for a comfortable arm resting position. Forget about using the existing sheet metal screw holes to install the Options unit. Expect to re-drill new holes for the Options unit or probably any such unit.

Overall, a nice addition but could be improved. I forget what I paid ~ 2 years ago, but that seems pricey.

Craig

Jeff in MI Avatar
Jeff in MI Jeff G
Alto, MI, USA   USA
The front spoiler on their site looks interesting. Almost looks like a mock up made of paper mache. They do have a lot of nice products though. I see about $1,100.00 worth of things I'd like to have. The limited market for this stuff means higher prices.

CraigL Avatar
CraigL Gold Member Craig Larsen
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
Yes, nice products - in theory. Many of the fiberglass items will have a rough surface finish on the exterior. Look how rough the spoiler looks in the photo. It appears to lack the nice gel coat which would improve its appearance. The fresh air scoop has a gel coat, but it is not even. My autobody guy would not fit the fresh air scoop to my bonnet until he had smoothed it. I know Options had trouble with the scoop mold, which was why my scoop took weeks and weeks to arrive. You can't tell from the water/dust shield photos that they also lack the smooth gel coat. The dust covers appear to have the mounting bolt holes cut out for more secure fitment which is an improvement over the ones I have (adhesive only). The water shields and covers would look much better with a smooth gel coat. Many of the products (including the fresh air scoop) depend on the strength of double-sticky tape (and compression fit in some cases) to hold them in place - not that great. I'm looking for a better way to attach my fresh air scoop as I don't want to use adhesives on my new paint job. The fresh air scoop fitment on the bonnet (wraps around the top lip) also increases the gap between the bonnet and the car body - which throws off the look of the gap elsewhere.

The qualify of the upholstered items is better. I liked the door panel kit and trunk kit. The trunk kit rear panel hole for the spare tire did not match up - had to do some cutting. The trunk kit provides for great storage options and is easy to install. Delivery times can vary as it seems items are not in stock ready to ship - they must first be manufactured. Make sure you hold on to your receipts as many times I had to re-prove I had already paid.

I support the creativity of the products Options has - I've bought many. Just be prepared for lower quality and some fitment issues you may need to resolve.

Craig

74Spit Avatar
74Spit Rick Ladd
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
Yes, quality could be better as Craig noted. I have a few of his products, nothing perfect in my opinion but still very nice for hand made items. I would guess all the products are made in a small shop with basic tools. I'm sure his designs get tweaked over time. I applaud his dedication to crafting these items.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Have you seen these?

http://www.triumphconsoles.com/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster