AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
I took one of the seals out too fast ....and forgot which way it goes . I have two pictures. Anyone know for sure?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    48.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    46.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
Just did this Friday Frank. The second picture, bottom, is correct. The pressure pushes into the "V" grove, forcing the seal into the cylinder wall. That is also the least convenient way to push it back into the cylinder. I greased the crap out of mine, and pressed while spinning, and gently rocking, until it went in. I expect more than one has been ruined going in.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Replied to your PM Frank

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
skyking1231 Avatar
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
thanks......

btw putting the secondary piston and spring back was a PITA. Trying to get that tab on teh thimble down to lock was a bitch. At one point with the spring assembly compressed and trying to get teh tab to lock...the whole thing shot out of my hands...brake parts everywhere. Somehow i was lucky and found all the parts....i thought the tiny spring washer was history lost to my workshop abyss. but found it on the floor...usually i am not that lucky.

I am hoping this will get my brakes to 100%, up to now i feel like they are at 90% (if that makes any sense) and it is the only thing on the system that has not been addressed.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1353163 by Born Loser Just did this Friday Frank. The second picture, bottom, is correct. The pressure pushes into the "V" grove, forcing the seal into the cylinder wall. That is also the least convenient way to push it back into the cylinder. I greased the crap out of mine, and pressed while spinning, and gently rocking, until it went in. I expect more than one has been ruined going in.

Really?
I hope by 'grease' you meant 'brake fluid' winking smiley

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
You can get away with PBR, or rubber assembly lube as long as you wipe it up thoroughly afterwards, but silicone makes a great lubricant...hint, hint!

the froggy Yvan Alleau
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Hi folks,
I rebuild mine this week-end but got an extra part in the rebuilt kit that wasn't anywhere in the old setup. It's a little "warped washer" which i guess has some spring action. The only place i can see it go would be between the rubber seal and the metal disk shown in this picture.
I have a 1968 gt6 Mark 1

Thank you

Attachments:
brake master cylinder.jpg    32.3 KB
brake master cylinder.jpg

skyking1231 Avatar
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
....that wahser (at least on mine....dual cylinder on 1975) went on the rear of the cyclinder. I don't have my diagram in fornt of me....but the is a (i think called a relief vavle) sort of a pin/needle looking thin with a plastic retainer and a warped washer. Sorry...not making sense....i do know that it didn't go with what you have in the picture...which i think is called the tipping valve?

Someone will chime in soon.

Actaully in my post#4..... That warped washer was what i almsot lost when parts started flying in my workshop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-27 07:50 PM by skyking1231.

the froggy Yvan Alleau
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
thx for your reply SkyKing.
From your description, it looks like the part might go between the spring and the plastic piece, top left most part on the attached picture.
I only replaced the end rubber piece and did not see any easy way to remove the plastic part

Attachments:
MasterCyl.jpg    22.2 KB
MasterCyl.jpg

skyking1231 Avatar
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
Yes....although yours is different then mine.....i have that same plastic piece on the far left. And if i remember it goes in there somewhere....(cant remember exactly.....but should see the old one in there)

the froggy Yvan Alleau
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
alright, thank you.
I think I won't worry too much about it then ;-)
Now to work on making new brake lines...unless they sale somewhere a kit for it!
cheers

NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 1357908 by the froggy alright, thank you.
I think I won't worry too much about it then ;-)
Now to work on making new brake lines...unless they sale somewhere a kit for it!
cheers

I'm not too sure about flaring the ends properly, so I bought the 2 front hard lines from one of the distributors. They come straight, but in the right length, so carefully remove the originals so that you can bend the new ones to match. Definitely get a bending tool so that you do not kink the tubing at the sharp bends.

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

the froggy Yvan Alleau
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Thanks folks for the advice.
Got the bending tool, getting a flaring set now.

I took the PDWA apart as 1 of the pistons was locked inside.
Got everything ready for re-assembling but wonder where i can get 2 new seals. They are cone shaped. I here people use O-ring instead, but then what id/od and what material (ptfe, buna, nitrile...) as the material has to survive in brake fluid.

Also I got confused about what I found inside (see picture). on the right side there was a ball between the piston and the end plug and on the top there was some sort of odd looking sping (?) although it is flat, below the switch assembly.
None of the various exploded views of PDAW showed these things!!
Thoughts?
Should I remove both (leaning towards this)

Thank you.

Attachments:
PDWA.jpg    32.1 KB
PDWA.jpg

the froggy Yvan Alleau
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Ok,
I think i'm putting it back together without the ball and "spring", and replacing the faulty switch. Keep the same seal.
Worse case scenario, it doesn't work properly. As long as it doesn't leak, it's still good! ;-)

Cheers

spitflier Murray M
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1353174 by skyking1231 btw putting the secondary piston and spring back was a PITA. Trying to get that tab on teh thimble down to lock was a bitch. At one point with the spring assembly compressed and trying to get teh tab to lock...the whole thing shot out of my hands...brake parts everywhere. Somehow i was lucky and found all the parts....i thought the tiny spring washer was history lost to my workshop abyss. but found it on the floor...usually i am not that lucky.

Like Frank, I launched my secondary piston bits all over the garage, but unlike Frank I had no luck finding the little plastic bit that goes on the end.
Anybody have any ideas on where to get a replacement? Can't find it online - otherwise it'll be a whole new MC for me!
Thanks,
Murray
1975 Spitfire - tandem master cylinder older type

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links