Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
The oil pressure would be the same upstream of the dist bush. Pressure cannot create itself from a lower pressure without the aid of a pump.

Example: a garden hose with adjustable nozzle at the end, partially open, the dist bush is that partially open nozzle.

Water plumbing in your house, could the pressure be higher in your house, than the city water line? (well yes, if the city line pressure drops).

Highest psi is from the pump to the filter. The dirtier the filter, the higher the restriction, and lower psi down stream of it.

The large main oil passage has smaller diameter passages to the bearings. Those are flow restrictions. (Gas Chromatography)

The lower pressure would be at the exit end where oil lubes the bearing. That passage is where the gauge needs to be.

The bush's machined area being more than the oil passage diameter, oil flow should be restricted again when re-entering the oil passage to the rear.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Mine is under the radiator between the frame.
Surprise, it isn't for oil . . . but it is an oil cooler.

Attachments:
100_1979.JPG    34 KB
100_1979.JPG

spurs1canada Avatar
spurs1canada Silver Member Barry Hotspur
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Mellow Yellow"
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Li'l Red"
I use Wix 51516 but you have to have that larger thread adaptor,no difference unfortunately oil pressure wise but having a little extra oil can't be bad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spurs1canada Avatar
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-25 11:33 AM by spurs1canada.

spurs1canada Avatar
In reply to # 1350773 by ExPatBrit How about one of these, clamps around the oil filter. drinking smiley

http://qmax.cn/Product.aspx?ID=781

What would the wire connect to and what purpose?

spurs1canada Avatar
In reply to # 1350980 by spurs1canada
In reply to # 1350773 by ExPatBrit How about one of these, clamps around the oil filter. drinking smiley

ooops! i see now there is a fan,what are the chances of this working do you think? my oil pressure is very low once the car heats up at idle after hwy drive goes down to 5-6 lbs. no knocking yet and around town no real problem but 67,000 miles and probably no rebuild.Wont rebuild this engine as oil gets into sump over winter storage, suspect crack in block as head redone and used the expensive gasket recommended by our members.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1350982 by spurs1canada
In reply to # 1350980 by spurs1canada

ooops! i see now there is a fan,what are the chances of this working do you think? my oil pressure is very low once the car heats up at idle after hwy drive goes down to 5-6 lbs. no knocking yet and around town no real problem but 67,000 miles and probably no rebuild.Wont rebuild this engine as oil gets into sump over winter storage, suspect crack in block as head redone and used the expensive gasket recommended by our members.

This ought to work about as well as those 'Electric SuperChargers for ANY car' you see all over eBay.
1) The fins are aligned in wrong direction to fan airflow.
2) The surface area of the cooling fins is very small.
3) The thermal contact between oil filter case and the fins is minimal
4) The airflow generated by the fan is minimal, no greater than ambient underhood airflow from standard fan and/or movement of the car.

Other than that, just perfect!

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1350946 by Dickie B Mine is under the radiator between the frame.

OK, so what is it then?

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Calvin - thank you for your comprehensive (and IMHO patronising) response.

I asked you politely if you could obtain a pressure measurement upstream of the oil pump bush, because the takeoff point for the idiot light sensor (and the usual position for the aftermarket oil pressure gauge) is halfway round the gallery formed between the centre part of the oil pump bush and the bored hole in the block. Your first line states the the oil pressure 'would be the same upstream of the bush'. This conveniently ignores all pressure losses due to oil flow along the oil gallery itself, and all pressure losses due to the oil negotiating its way from the point at which it exits the straight section of the oil gallery, and travels part way round the bush before reaching the pressure takeoff point.

Highest pressure is indeed at the pump, before the filter. Obviously, the dirtier the filter, the greater the oil pressure drop across the filter. I have no issue with this, but if you read my words carefully, I actually referred to the position of the front plug on the oil gallery as being where 'the highest reading obtainable' could be recorded, based on using the modified takeoff adaptor which you have previously used to record pressures at the rear of the gallery. No matter, you seem to think I needed a tutorial.

Bear in mind that whilst there will obviously be a pressure drop as the oil negotiates its way around the oil pump bush, the flow through the 7/16" bore oil gallery will also cause a pressure drop. You seem to believe that there is no pressure drop along the gallery. Might I suggest you search through old posts on this forum and have a look at the 'octopus' external oil distribution system used by Kas Kastner and others on race GT6 engines - that system does more than just bypass the oil pump bush - it bypasses most of the oil gallery as well.

Respectfully,

Steve
In reply to # 1350929 by colodad The oil pressure would be the same upstream of the dist bush. Pressure cannot create itself from a lower pressure without the aid of a pump.

Example: a garden hose with adjustable nozzle at the end, partially open, the dist bush is that partially open nozzle.

Water plumbing in your house, could the pressure be higher in your house, than the city water line? (well yes, if the city line pressure drops).

Highest psi is from the pump to the filter. The dirtier the filter, the higher the restriction, and lower psi down stream of it.

The large main oil passage has smaller diameter passages to the bearings. Those are flow restrictions. (Gas Chromatography)

The lower pressure would be at the exit end where oil lubes the bearing. That passage is where the gauge needs to be.

The bush's machined area being more than the oil passage diameter, oil flow should be restricted again when re-entering the oil passage to the rear.

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Octopussy oilly

Attachments:
IMAG1738.jpg    51.8 KB
IMAG1738.jpg

IMAG1736.jpg    57.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMAG1737.jpg    44.1 KB
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1350996 by clshore
In reply to # 1350946 by Dickie B Mine is under the radiator between the frame.

OK, so what is it then?

Carter, he put in a fuel cooler, to help with vapor lock issues. There are threads somewhere on it.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

GT6M Avatar
GT6M Markus Bewley
Scaryport, Cumbria, North West Englandshire, UK   GBR
No one seems to have mentioned it, but, go for the biggest fitting ye can get, IF no going for plumbing fittings
reason, the holes int unions are alot lot smaller than the pipes, so doo mek a restriction to flow

A 1/2 BSP is not 1/2 internal bore ont fittings
but a 1/2 inch plumbing pipe is 1/2 inch, follow,!!

Here is acouple of solutions, both too location, and hoses. I had a water cooled cooler, worked great for 25 odd years till the thing cracked, beed to logged to see this type.

but put this,n in the same spot, it works great

pipes, alott moer compact than the great big hoses.

mebee of some intrest to some

M

Scaryport, Cumbria, Farr Northwest Englandshire, UK

Attachments:
oil cooler chassis cut out.JPG    25.3 KB
oil cooler  chassis cut out.JPG

front veiw of oil cooler.JPG    30.1 KB
colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
Steve, are you directing me to this tap (plug) on the oil passage ?

Attachments:
CW IMG_0733 forward plug.jpg    32.6 KB
CW IMG_0733 forward plug.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi, I have just joined this site after following calvin's you tube videos.

As it happens I fitted the VW heat exchanger to my 1500 Spit a few years back, exactly as Carter has suggested. I tapped into the thermostat housing and exit through the heater return plumbing.
I was more interested in quicker oil warm up than ultimate oil cooling. I have an oil temp gauge fitted to read from the sump, and have not experianced excessive oil temps, even during hard, fast drives.

I look forward to spending some time here hanging out with friends, some old (that I can see are here) and new. :-)

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1352846 by Tonyfixit Hi, I have just joined this site after following calvin's you tube videos.

As it happens I fitted the VW heat exchanger to my 1500 Spit a few years back, exactly as Carter has suggested. I tapped into the thermostat housing and exit through the heater return plumbing.
I was more interested in quicker oil warm up than ultimate oil cooling. I have an oil temp gauge fitted to read from the sump, and have not experianced excessive oil temps, even during hard, fast drives.

I look forward to spending some time here hanging out with friends, some old (that I can see are here) and new. :-)

Tony, that sounds like a nice installation, can you post some pictures?
Do you have a part# for the VW unit?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links