Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cintitr4 Avatar
cintitr4 Dave Connitt
cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Has anyone tried recovering their TR4A center console?
I have researched the covers that Moss and TRF sells and they don't work on the TR4A console that has the raised shift lever opening.
Just wondering if someone has "been there, done that" before I start. I have already removed the old cracked cover down to the aluminum frame.
Oh, and I added two switches for electric seat heaters but I figured if I was going to recover the thing I could do a little upgrading.
Thanks,
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Done that. It's a swine of a job if you have removed the cracked vinyl and the compressed foam layer. The reason is that you won't be able to restore the original smooth curved shape of the edges of the console panel if you use foam only. My guy filed the edges by inserting a half round-shaped piece of wood + one layer of fiberglass and covered the whole thing with a thin layer of foam.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 06:18 PM by Geko.

Attachments:
console TR4A.jpg    27 KB
console TR4A.jpg

cintitr4 Avatar
cintitr4 Dave Connitt
Thanks for the picture!
Pre-shaping the aluminum frame is a great idea. I have some left over body filler that I could use to get the thing. And the picture will help my upholstery guy with an idea on how to run the seams between the two pieces.
Dave C.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HerronScott Avatar
HerronScott Scott Herron
Staunton, VA, USA   USA
Dave,

When I restored my TR4A back in the early 1980s I used a TR6 console as they were readily available used in good condition at that time. It doesn't have the original raised lip as you mentioned and there are cutouts on the side, which allowed me to use the TR6 speaker panels for front speakers.

Scott

1965percy Avatar
1965percy Bob K
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
When we restored our TR4A the first time back in the mid 1980's there was no cover available so we stripped all the glued on foam and painted the aluminum with a semi gloss black paint. The aluminum has a texture which looked almost like the original cover. Over the years if it got scratched we just took it out and repainted it.

HerronScott Avatar
HerronScott Scott Herron
Staunton, VA, USA   USA
Dave,

I just noticed that you have your car listed as a 1970 TR4A. According to VTR the last TR4A was CTC78684 – last TR4A, built July 10, 1967.

If your title actually has it listed as a 1970, then perhaps it was originally sold in 1970 (seems very late though for a new TR4A!) and DMV registered it as a a 1970. My 1959 TR3A is registered as a 1960 and my second 1966 TR4A is registered as a 1967 for example. I may try to get that fixed when I restore them based on the BMIIHT certificate with their build dates.

Scott

andymccl Avatar
andymccl Andy McClung
LAWRENCEVILLE, GA, USA   USA
I did mine last year with the ridiculously expensive moss vinyl foam kit.

It needed to be cut for back bends and heat gun some to gain flexibility. Used spray contact cement. Not a straight forward job.

I ended up buying a mustang/cobra bezel/boot for the shift lever aand drilled into the aluminum for the 4 bezel screws.

Ended up better than I thought. The bezel/boot combo was the key. went to Google and asked and a bunch of shifter boot options pooped up.

I'll find pic and post

Andy

cintitr4 Avatar
cintitr4 Dave Connitt
I ended up not getting my center console upholstered after all after trying several local automotive upholsterers with no luck. As a side project, I ended up installing seat heaters to try and get my wife to ride with me in the fall but that is a different story... Anyway, after mounting the seat heater switches in the front of the center console I ended up smoothing out the console and painting it with black wrinkle finish paint.
I have the steps I used to finish the console on my website if you want to see how I did it.

http://www.davestr4a.com

On the Nav bar to the left, click on INTERIOR, then scroll down to Seat Heaters and click. If you scroll down from there you will see the finished product. I think it actually turned out pretty well but if you are looking for a stock appearance, this isn't for you.

Dave

karzapart55 jerry cicalese
old bridge nj, USA   USA
I tried recovering center console support. It looked like Hell. I stripped and painted with Flat Black. Looks great!

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
Super late to the party here... but I was wondering if you have any pictures of what you did to the center console support? My vinyl coating is cracked and faded... definitely needs a refurb. Did you coat it in fiberglass or silicone and then re-wrap in vinyl? Or just paint the bare metal?

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
I had mine powder coated with a textured finish...very happy with the look....bit dusty ATM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 05:36 PM by malbaby.

Attachments:
IMG_0385.JPG    62 KB
IMG_0385.JPG

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Do you have any pictures?

Peter-K Peter K
Central, ME, USA   USA
Had the exact problem. Here is my stripped aluminum frame and the foam backed cover set in place as a trial fit. Notice that the cover sits too high.

It was 2004 and I seem to remember that I used a barrel rasp on a drill press to grind off the "pucker" of the protruding lip enough so that the cover would down over the frame sit correctly. I'll see if I can find the installed photos. t

Attachments:
dash_support.jpg    25.8 KB
dash_support.jpg

cover.jpg    23.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Ooh, i didn't know they made new covers for the H-frames - I was thinking of just using some fiberglass or even bondo and smooth out the rough areas, prime and paint it OR bondo and then wrap in vinyl... i've seen one that was sewn and it looked ace. I wish there was a pattern out there I could download to try my hand at sewing my own.

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Mine was cracked up around the shifter hole so I put a nice boot with a chrome ring over it. Next time I'll strip it and use black wrinkle paint. I just can't justify spending what Moss wants for a cover. These cars were meant to be driven, not to spend a bank roll on.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links