Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
Haven't even taken delivery of the car yet, not even close. I'm sure there are tons of opinions on keep original metal dash vs. adding a wood dash. I've always envisioned having a wood dash, but I bought a 63 with the white dash. Are the dash kits easily installed? Would it be better to leave it original? Or what about painting the dash the color of the car instead of white? Just putting it out there. Thanks in advance for the heated discussion. Ha

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
In the US, late TR4s came with a wooden dash as a dealer "compulsory" option so you would not compromise too much with originality in adding one, which i wouldn't do tho... The plain, sleek white dash is one of the key features of the TR nakedness but if you want to turn yours into a French boudoir, it's your choice !

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Clark...All metal dash cars' dashboard fascias were painted Spa White...regardless of the exterior color of the car. I ran into a 1963 TR4 at a car show this weekend with a Heritage certificate stating that it had been ordered with the optional wood dash panel. The panel was in walnut veneer with gloss finish as all TR4 / 4A's were. Not sure why TRF sells Mahogany dash panels for the TR4 / 4A, but I special ordered one for my 1965 TR4 in walnut and that is a story for another place and time. But I got the correct wood species I desired and that is correct for the car. I would leave the car as is, but it was an option and it is your car to do with as you desire. You will be drilling holes in the metal dash panel unless you remove the entire dash fascia and replace the metal backing with one from a later 4 or 4A...keeping the original painted dash for anyone in the future who may want to reverse the process for originality's sake. Thoughts to ponder...Ryals

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Funny. I knew there would be zingers.

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Always envisioned a wood dash with a car like this, but leaving it original sounds like the wise choice. I tend to go through cars, so wouldn’t want to destroy the dash for the next guy. But you never know, I’ve never owned any British cars and I’ve never bought a car on the internet before, so it could end up being a keeper.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
If you're looking for a project - just drive the car, far and often. With any luck you'll soon have enough to keep you busy and take your mind off of wood dashes.

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
I’m sure you’re right. The wheels are turning in my head. It could need more work than I was lead to believe, for sure.

tirnipgreen Avatar
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Adding the wood dash might be the thing that makes you smile. If you do add the wood dash, please do it right and remove the painted one and get a steel backing panel from a newer TR4 or TR4A. It is a bit more work...quite a bit more work, but you don't ruin a painted dash panel that would otherwise end up with holes drilled in it for the wood dash screws. Prestige in California has the nicest wood dash panels...maybe too nice. I have seen nice ones from The Roadster Factory...just not the one I had special ordered a few months ago. I like the way TRF treats the vent openings rather than the way Prestige cuts them at about a 45 degree angle. Prestige does an absolutely beautiful job of finishing every square inch of their product and for $500.00 I would hope so. Somehow they are more "Jaguaresque" than "Triumphant". Fancy burl grain patterns and deep gloss are not what I want in my car...but no matter what I like (or anyone else for that matter), your car is just that...YOURS. Do what YOU want to do with it and revel in the joy that it brings you. I have had cars that others criticized for one reason or another...their problem, not mine. Enjoy your TR4...! Ryals

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
Tuckasegee, NC, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Trouble"
1967 Triumph TR4A
Never a dumb question on here. Just check my post. To me bottom line is "IT IS YOUR CAR" make it what "YOU" want. I have had both and seen many of both win at car shows. Good luck and we all woud love to see photos. Have a great one. Randy the DA in the boonies.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540556 by tirnipgreen ...please do it right and remove the painted one and get a steel backing panel from a newer TR4 or TR4A...

Clark - FYI, this is what the metal dash looks like that the wood dash is mounted to:

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Thanks for the responses guys. I do like the look of wood, but will stick with the original white dash. I believe I may need to paint it and replace the lower dash pads. Where's the best place to find the correct paint. If the correct color come in rattle cans, all the better. I did a lot of rattle can work on my 65 Mustang, but that was a totally different animal.

tirnipgreen Avatar
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Wow...If you are going to be taking the dash out to paint it, then going with a wood one is a definite option without any more work, just dollars for the parts...Spa White was the color used for all cars, you might find something close in rattle cans...Ryals

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Depending on how close you need it to be -- Krylon Gloss Ivory is in the neighborhood. It is what I used on my TR4 steel rims.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links