Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
Ok, here's a newbie question (it will not be my last). What is the correct placement for a drivers side mirror on a 63 TR4. Just bought a very nicely painted car (which is not yet with the hauler), but the mirror is sitting in the trunk. He says he couldn't decide between the door and fender. What is the correct location?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1963 TR4 15.jpg    47.6 KB
1963 TR4 15.jpg

1963 TR4 5.jpg    57.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
I do not know which is "correct", but I would not mount a mirror on a fender.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
US-spec cars were all made without exterior mirrors, they were a dealer-installed option.

So mount it where ever works well for you and it won't be "wrong". The SPC lists several flavors of "wing" mirrors and one "speed" mirror (which Piggott seems to imply is a bullet type).

Most period photos show no external mirrors at all, but I did find both wing mirrors and one photo with what appears to be a stalk type mirror mounted next to the windscreen.

I like the wing mirrors on my TR3, but definitely with convex glass, and they are a pain to keep properly positioned. Real easy for a passerby (or mechanic) to bump them.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Most Tr4/250/6s mirrors are a couple inches down and couple inches back from front edge of door. No real wrong place to mount. Sit in the car and have someone hold mirror on door. When you are happy with placement, mark and mount.
Marv

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Thanks. After looking at a hundred pictures online, maybe only 3% of the cars have mirrors on the fenders, so the seller (admittedly) told me that he might have been a little afraid of drilling into the new paint.

shiparino Avatar
shiparino Clark Shipley
Thank you. I can see myself trying to tell the cop, "no really, they didn't come with mirrors... or seat belts." Belts on order, mirror in trunk. I will do the deed first thing.

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
If the mirror is on the door, you can adjust it yourself. On the fender requires some help....or really long arms...

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
I have been told that cars manufactured prior to 1965 are not required to have seat belts. Maybe just a Georgia thing in that they weren't required by the federal government until '65...Fender mirrors are almost useless in my opinion. I am restoring a Datsun 240z and have seen them with fender mirrors. I thought the Japs were smarter...Just Sayin'...! Ryals

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540279 by shiparino Thank you. I can see myself trying to tell the cop, "no really, they didn't come with mirrors... or seat belts." Belts on order, mirror in trunk. I will do the deed first thing.
When my TR3A got totaled, the CHP officer taking the accident report started to ask if I was wearing my seat belt, then stopped, looked at the car, and said "You don't have seat belts, do you?". It's never been an issue for me.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Be careful with those bullet mirrors. They look nice but are pretty useless especially on the passenger side, even with convex lenses. Before your start drilling the doors i'd check other options, i.e. square ones (like the original) with longer arm and better adjustment.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
I installed the LH mirror in the door at the front corner where I had access to the nut on the back side. For the RH mirror, it seemed like the windshield frame blocked the view if I put it in the similar location, so I put it on the fender. It is more work to adjust, but takes less head movement to use it.

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
BTW...I have always admired the Wingard trapezoidal door mirror found on TR250's....Ryals

TriumphantMan Avatar
TriumphantMan Raymond C
Southeast, Southeast, USA   USA
I agree with Stef, I have the bullet mirror and it is hard to adjust. I'll probably go to a "stalk" mirror.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
I agree - on the door is more easily adjusted and the closer the mirror is to your eyes the more you will see in it.

jflinney Avatar
jflinney John Linney
Saratoga, CA, USA   USA
I believe that is a door mirror in the trunk. The wing mirrors I have seen stick out further and are slightly larger. The door is a better place in my opinion, because the mirror is closer to you, and less vulnerable to be being knocked in a parking lot, or when you have your head under the hood. I don't think TR4s came with mirrors from the factory, so you can put them wherever you like.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster