TRExp

TR4 & TR4A Forum

How different is a TR4 soft top to a TR6 soft top.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
Is it only the front mounting area?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533354 by malbaby Is it only the front mounting area?

The rear mount may be close in terms of size but it is different - lift the dot snaps on the 4 but the 6 has a flap glued to a rear stiffener and secured with rivets.

I believe people have used tr4 tops on a tr6 but I think they also switch out the hood sticks and use the tr4 cockpit surrounds. Not seen it myself though so may be wrong.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Biggest difference is the 6 has velcro on sides over roll up window. The 4 is just a flap. You can put the 4 top on the 6 better than 6 on the 4 frame but both will work. The top frame front is different but both can be modifed to work on either car. I kinda like the 4 frame better. Easier to put up at a traffic light.
Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533410 by mgruber921 I kinda like the 4 frame better. Easier to put up at a traffic light.

Geez Marv - how long are the traffic lights in Alabama?

I think Mal is asking about a TR4, not 4A - the top comes out of the boot, the rear upholstery lifts away to expose the sticks, the front lip of the top (reluctantly) tucks into the groove in the windscreen frame, etc.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533354 by malbaby Is it only the front mounting area?

That and potentially more importantly, the sides. The 4A/250/6 have a narrow spot on either side for the top frame. The 4 was wide all the way around. The question is if you’re trying to use a 6 top on a 4 frame...perhaps for the zip out rear window? Or maybe someone has one cheap?

Buy the backlight I’m offering and don’t worry about it smiling smiley

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Brain f**t, I was just thinking about the 4A top frame verus the TR6. I hate putting the the TR4 top up. It bites/pinches my hand just about every time I put one up. Very similar to the TR3.

Geo, the TR4a frame is a quicky at a traffic light. Right hand lifts it up, snap both ws catches and don't worry about the side snaps until I get under a roof. BTW, there are some traffic lights here I can take a nap at.

Marv

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster