What is this goiter??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, MD, USA   USA
I bought this transmission yesterday and I am baffled by the rubber insulator on the tail piece. It looks like it was probably used as an exhaust hanger. It also looks "factory" but AFAIK it doesn't belong on a TR. I was told the transmission came from a TR4A. Anybody know it's origin/application?

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Dan,
It’s an anti vibration device, have one on my 62 OD TR4. None of the 4as had one, but they are all 4 speeds.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
In reply to # 1503979 by Perdido Dan,
It’s an anti vibration device, have one on my 62 OD TR4. None of the 4as had one, but they are all 4 speeds.
Rut

Still don't get it. What does it bolt to and why is it needed? Every TR I have owned except the current one had OD and I don't recall ever seeing something like this. I also don't see it in any parts manual.

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Dan,
I just hangs off the tranny...mine was the first and only one I’ve seen.
Rut

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
It was only fitted to a fairly small range of cars; I've also got one in a parts bin somewhere. It is mentioned in the SPC, more than once IIRC.

EDIT: Here are the two SPC entries, TR4 and TR4A

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-23 01:00 AM by TR3driver.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
along with PCV it's probably the most useless add-on i've come across on a TR

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
See Lump, starting with post #18.

Thanks - an interesting bit of lore. I can't find that in my copy of the SPC (20 TR 4, First Edition). What page and/or plate is it on? Not that it matters - based on the discussion here it's going into my parts bin as well....

Dan

In reply to # 1504009 by TR3driver It was only fitted to a fairly small range of cars; I've also got one in a parts bin somewhere. It is mentioned in the SPC, more than once IIRC.

EDIT: Here are the two SPC entries, TR4 and TR4A

Member Services:
TR3driver Randall Y
Page 26 for TR4 (might be 2nd edition, don't have the cover page).

TR4A page 27 of 2nd edition (doesn't seem to be listed in 1st edition)

Not shown on any plate AFAIK.

Randall

I assume your TR4 page number is in Section 5 (gearbox).. In mine Section 5 ends at page 23 and Section 6 (chassis) starts at page 24. I must have an earlier edition - 101 pages total in a 3 ring binder.

In reply to # 1504025 by TR3driver Page 26 for TR4 (might be 2nd edition, don't have the cover page).

TR4A page 27 of 2nd edition (doesn't seem to be listed in 1st edition)

Not shown on any plate AFAIK.

Member Services:
TR3driver Randall Y
All I have for TR4 is a PDF file (not my scans obviously, and is the one missing the page with edition number), and a Brooklands reprint of the 2nd edition. In both of them, the last numbered page is 130 (which doesn't include illustrations, etc. PDF has 218 pages total.)

Thanks for confirming that the PDF seems to be 2nd edition. If you (or anyone else) is interested, you can download it from
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYjZmY2ZlYzctYzg5OC00OTc4LWE3MmEtMmRiODI3OTliY2Y4

The 4A PDF (which are my scans of an original 2nd edition manual in a 3 ring binder) is at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffUFNWSFBDVDVCbkk

Randall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-23 05:06 PM by TR3driver.

Until now I did not even know there was a second edition. I had forgotten that I downloaded the PDF version of the TR4A manual some time ago. I will take a look at it and thank you for taking the time to to scan it. Even with a document feeder that would be a PITA moody smiley

Dan

In reply to # 1504080 by TR3driver All I have for TR4 is a PDF file (not my scans obviously, and is the one missing the page with edition number), and a Brooklands reprint of the 2nd edition. In both of them, the last numbered page is 130 (which doesn't include illustrations, etc. PDF has 218 pages total.)

Thanks for confirming that the PDF seems to be 2nd edition. If you (or anyone else) is interested, you can download it from
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYjZmY2ZlYzctYzg5OC00OTc4LWE3MmEtMmRiODI3OTliY2Y4

The 4A PDF (which are my scans of an original 2nd manual in a 3 ring binder) is at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffUFNWSFBDVDVCbkk

Member Services:
TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1504084 by oldhokie Even with a document feeder that would be a PITA moody smiley
Yup, and I don't even have a document feeder. Maybe Santa will bring me one smiling smiley

I've got a huge stack of Triumph documents to be scanned; but I sorta lost interest after throwing the 4A SPC together. (It's still not really finished, but definitely better than nothing.) Here's a little ditty I had completely forgotten about, originally printed (AFAIK) in a local club newsletter and collected in "Technical Talk Vol 2" from TRSC.

Randall

TriumphantMan Avatar
TriumphantMan Raymond C
Southeast, Southeast, USA   USA
I have an early '63 TR4 with an overdrive A-Type transmission with the damper on it. I put it back on when I rebuilt the tranny and the transmission is very smooth. It came on the tranny so, I left it on the tranny. "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster