AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 1517917 by Merlin63Tr4 Hi Dan,

Just wondering how you are doing?
And of course another bump to the top so this topic doesn't get buried.

Regards,
DR

Thanks for inquiring,

I had ankle surgery two weeks ago and it seems to be healing nicely - dumped the Percocets for extra strength Tylenol after the first 4-5 days and almost no discomfort at this point. But I am in a knee high cast and no weight permitted on that leg so pretty limited in what I can do. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday and I am hoping for something a little less constraining - taking a shower with this thing is a chore sad smiley;

I expect to be back doing light jobs in the shop in another week or two but making more pullers is probably a little farther out. When you get your's be careful - they can bite if you are not careful eye rolling smiley

Thanks again,

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Well it seems I broke more than my ankle. Doctor removed the staples and put a new cast on yesterday (another 4 week on crutches sentence) and the ankle was feeling better so today I headed to the shop to do a little cleaning up. The puller, hub, and associated parts and tools were still scattered on the floor where the wound up when I fell. I started putting the hub back together and could not get the washer over the threads. Closer inspection revealed the forcing screw had mushroomed the end ruining the axle. An expensive product test it seems angry smiley

I had turned a taper on the end of the screw that matched the countersink in the axle but it didn't bottom out and as the pressure went up it was forced deeper and very effectively spread the end of the axle. The cross drilled hole for the cotter key weakens the end considerably and didn't help things any. So going forward I will be including a distance piece that will fit over the threads and bottom against the shoulder at the base of the taper. That should take all of the pressure off the end of the shaft and prevent a recurrence of thread damage.

So anybody have a good TR4 axle that is excess to their needs? The axle assembly is on jack stands and I think I can manage replacing the axle while sitting on my little roll around stool winking smiley

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 04:07 PM by oldhokie.

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Hi Dan-

Keep off that ankle! Sent you a private message about that axle.

Randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
In reply to # 1518953 by Britnut Hi Dan-

Keep off that ankle! Sent you a private message about that axle.

Randy

Randy,

If you PM'd me it hasn't shown up.

Dan

Member Services:
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Doh! Must remember to drink first cup of coffee before trying to do anything involving computers. Hopefully 2nd try worked.

Milpitas, CA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Hi Dan,

Any news on the Tr4 hub puller project?

Regards,
DR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
In reply to # 1536825 by Merlin63Tr4 Hi Dan,

Any news on the Tr4 hub puller project?

Regards,
DR

Thanks for asking. I am doing very well and trying to dig out from under all of the backlogged chores I had to neglect. If the rain would stop jump starting it I might be able to get the grass mowed and move on to some TR related thinhs!

Dan

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links