AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
More pics

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_1287.JPG    36 KB
100_1287.JPG

100_1288.JPG    61.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
100_1289.JPG    43 KB
100_1290.JPG    46 KB
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
And.....

Attachments:
100_1291.JPG    27.6 KB
100_1291.JPG

100_1293.JPG    35.2 KB
100_1295.JPG    36.7 KB
100_1296.JPG    51.6 KB
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
those pesky windshield caps.... also interested how you're going to fit the windscreen and the lower internal trim with the frame on...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I always put the windshield in with the windscreen frame on the car. Is it easier with it off? What's the internal lower trim?

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
the frame has black trims surround made of 4 pieces, 2 on the sides, 1 on top and 1 at the bottom. If the bottom trim not fitted yet you'll have to remove the frame to do it.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Already installed that trim. It also tucks under the rubber to body piece. I like the leverage of having the windscreen on the body when installing the windscreen. I use the pull string and KY jelly method. As long a the rubber seal is warm it goes pretty easy.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I have a bit of a problem. Got the bonnet on today. Very nice gap at the rear side, and lays flat and even along wings. Gap on the right to the wing is about 1/4" or less, gap to wing on left is 1/2". Any simple solutions?

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
You can't possibly have 1/2 in gap all along but probably more toward the forward half of the wing. The inner wings may have twisted a bit during removal and transport. I would loosen the inner wings to chassis bolts and try correcting the gap by hand and using packers and shims. A strap and tensioner might be useful too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-22 12:40 AM by Geko.

ShortBulge Avatar
ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
... for at Triumph ... that is termed "neglitchable"

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I didn't take pictures before but the bonnet was definitely 1/2" gap on one side and about 1/8" the other, parallel at back. I took off the right side hinge to explore enlarging the holes to get some sideways adjustment. I put the hinge in the vice and noticed it wasn't straight. It's a fairly stout piece of formed sheetmetal. I figured, what the heck, so I straightened it, oiled the pivot, stuck it back in (I had penciled some lines). Shabam! perfectly centered!
Okay, not quite perfect the first try actually. I adjusted the right side an 1/8" rearward to clean up the gap at the rear, but went a bit too far. I latched the bonnet ...and Ooops! it was stuck!!!!! Actually did this twice.

Caution: Do not latch a TR4 bonnet unless the pin is perfectly aligned on the catch. It wasn't that the release wouldn't move, but the the edge of the pin catches on the bracket. It is very important when making any adjustments to also align the pin to the catch. This not only will save you heartache but it also affects the alignment of the bonnet. You don't want the latch forcing the bonnet sideways at all.

How did I open the bonnet? The release pull handle will stay open by itself in this condition. Bump with your palm over the latch and it may pop open. I resorted to using my door clip tool to pull up on the sheet metal and bang on the hood. Pop! What a stupid design flaw. A hood that can easily get stuck.....

Attachments:
TR4 Bonnet.jpg    20.6 KB
TR4 Bonnet.jpg

Bonnet.jpg    23.3 KB
bonnet rear.jpg    23 KB
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
It's been way too cold to do much on the car. Today it was 54 F. I have found the best way to install windshields. I have used the rope technique in the past but this way is much better. You call an auto glass guy, he comes out, you visit a little and an hour later the job is done. A lot of shops wanted me to bring the car. Without windows and a license plate it would have needed to be towed.
I have used the rope technique in the past, but I don't have all the tools necessary. The suction cups he uses enable bumping the window down and into the gasket better or to the side.
The gaskets I got from TRF. The front windscreen gasket was perfect. We warmed it a bit first and it went right in. The backlight gasket I will return. It is probably an inch and a half too long. There is no way that much extra was going to somehow bunch up and go in. Luckily the original was in very good shape, soft and perfect. The tight corners were a bit tricky pulling over the headliner and the bolt covers. The chrome finisher was a bitch to install. We used a lot of lube and a soft mallet to pound it in. The tight corners on the backlight again was where we really had to fight the finisher in.
Finally, now that this job is done, just seat upholstery, door panels, sun visors, color sanding, odds and ends.
I was a bit dismayed last week when taking the car for a short drive the speedo didn't work. I really didn't want to have an issue at the transmission worm gear. It's a new cable and the speedo worked before. I pulled the cable off the speedo and confirmed it was firmly in the trans by trying to twist. I took the speedo guts out and lubed all the moving parts with some sewing machine oil. I gave the back of the speedo a spin with a screwdriver inserted and the needle started moving but wouldn't return to zero. A bit more oil, a few more spins and things started working. Now it works!

On another task - I tried installing the surrey soft top. Like it was just going to be easy! Nope - tucking the front canvas under the new capping was a struggle. The capping was too close and tight in spots and had to be carefully pried up. Then trying to get the snaps and the rear pegs in place it was clear this is a job for a very warm day. The canvas is probably 1-2" short of making the distance. The side glass is such a perfect parallel fit to the windscreen, I don't want to mess with the angle and the Hardtop fits nicely. Even with the bows off the canvas barely makes the span. I sure hope it will fit when it warms up! You think the TR3 top is a tight fit?

Attachments:
20180111_181747.jpg    38.4 KB
20180111_181747.jpg

20180111_181734.jpg    33.6 KB
malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
Hi Marcus,
re post 96 , 3rd image down...please advise the diameter of the cover plate for the surrey top hold down bolts.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
That's tough to say. The cover plate is somewhat oval and the recess is curved. It is a tight fit into the recess with the newer headliner material. I think Revington or Rimmer Bros sells this cover plate.

Attachments:
100_1265.JPG    39.8 KB
100_1265.JPG

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I had to pull the car out of the garage this morning. It was very cold but the engine started up with full choke, clutch out. Oil pressure came up quick. But being so cold I noticed the throttle response was sluggish. Has anyone else noticed in really cold temperatures the pistons not lifting in the SU's? After a little warmup I could rev but not punch the throttle. I had a hard time on the ice and snow but finally made it into the spot I needed to get to. I was revving at 3000 in reverse to try moving. The engine sounds good, and the early TR4 muffler system probably roused the neighborhood.

I didn't know it was going to snow today so I needed to get the Hardtop on and had some issues. I discovered the new wonderful TRF front rubber gasket for the hardtop is quite stiff compared to the original. The original gasket is in amazingly perfect shape and will go back on. It's still soft and squishy. I am so glad I saved good parts. Manufacturers really need to take more care in designing the shape, function and performance of replacement parts.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, MI, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
We've had a break in the cold weather. I finished the upholstery and some odds and ends. There is always a list of things to do, but it's getting smaller. Here a few beauty shots of things I love about the TR4.

Attachments:
100_1305.JPG    44.8 KB
100_1305.JPG

100_1306.JPG    52.4 KB
100_1307.JPG    23.6 KB
100_1308.JPG    48.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links