AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cost of media blasting
  This topic is about my 1957 Triumph TR3
mcoomey Avatar
mcoomey Silver Member Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Does anyone have an idea of the cost to get the entire body media blasted? After building a tent-like blasting room and purchasing a cheap Harbor Freight pressurized blaster I've come to the conclusion that this is no way to spend my weekends! At the rate I'm going it's going to take me several months and many dollars worth of media before I'm done. I'm wondering if I'd be better off finding money in the budget to contract this out, but I'd like to get some idea of cost before requesting a quote from someone.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
blasting_suit.jpg    21.5 KB
blasting_suit.jpg

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
I can only give you some words of caution. Make sure whoever does your blasting is very careful on the large flat surfaces. If they do not know what they are doing your large flat surfaces will no longer be flat. The sides of the fenders and the hood are particularly vulnerable. Do a search for Dustless Blasting. I think they wet system almost eliminates the chance of warping.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I've had a whole car ( 1965 Mustang ) Soda blasted about 10 years ago, and it was right around $1500. Inside and out and then primed. I just got a quote, from the same place for my GT6 and it was about $1400. It's a smaller car. I like soda blasting because it is a lot gentler on the metal , but it is a slow process.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tallguylittlecar Avatar
tallguylittlecar Derek Combee
Yardley, PA, USA   USA
I paid $650 to have the whole tub media blasted onside and out. I too have a cheapo blast set up bit for the money and the fact that in one day I had the car back and clean was well worth it in my opinion.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Local guy here did my 250 tub for $400. He did use black beauty sand which was a little too course but he didn't damage anything. I have had to use a lot of primer to build up past blast pits but its looking good.
Marv

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Yep, that black beauty is great for removing rust on a frame or cast iron. Not so good on sheet metal. I still have about 50 pounds in the shed.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
What’s with the hazmat suite? Half the fun is getting sweaty sand down your crack.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Hello,

You are in Paxton and in Worcester there has been a business that was capable of "dipping" an entire car. It may have been
part of the Reddi Strip chain. I have been there once and all I remember is that the location was not far from the center of the city
and was on a hill.

What I have done several times is to simply use paint stripper to take the top layer, factory paint can be hard, then use hand tools or
blasting to finish. I found you need a large air compressor, which I have, to keep good even pressure. Then be careful of the heat build up of the blasting. If you have a tent the plastic media works well but it needs to be contained.

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
I was recently quoted $500 to do the exterior of a Spitfire if I had it taped prior to blasting. I think he wanted $200 to do four wire wheels off my TR3.

BTW, this was a dustless blasting outfit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-14 07:59 AM by billspit.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Where you are in the country makes a huge difference. California can be really expensive, esp the bay area for example. I would ask your local club who the go to people are in your area.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

mcoomey Avatar
mcoomey Silver Member Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I've got an idea of cost now and I've requested a quote from Classic Car Blasting in New Hampshire. I'll repost when I hear back.

As for the hazmat suit, I think that sweaty sand feeling must be an acquired pleasure. winking smiley

@John Taylor: The place in Worcester was Redi-Strip, Inc. at 534 Franklin St. I had done business with them years ago on another project (Model A Ford Coupe). I did a Google search and they're no longer there, but there is a company just down the road called Metal Strip of New England. If the media blast doesn't work out perhaps I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
I paid $300 just to get my spitfire tub blasted. $200 more for epoxy.

mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
I just had a TR3A blasted at American Dry Stripping in Milford CT. It was $1,500 for the outside only blasted with plastic, no distortion or damage to the metal. I removed all chrome, lights, trim, etc...

Attachments:
IMG_2072.JPG    34.5 KB
IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG    32.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tr3hardtop Avatar
tr3hardtop Colin Gentle
Bethel, CT, USA   USA
I also had my 61 TR3A done at American Dry Stripping in Milford, CT a few years ago, just the tub it was $700. This is a link to the post I had placed on the CTZCC web site to help our members with vendors:
http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5373
Scroll down for some close up photos.
Cheers,
Colin
1961 TR3A TS/81208-L-O

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Do to the different speeds that the different media takes to remove the paint and all, the cost can vary a lot. Media that is fast, is harsh and can pit or warp the metal. Media that is gentle on the metal can take a LONG time. Time = money. I think I saw a shot of a Coke can that had the paint removed by soda blasting without damaging the aluminum under it.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links