Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Bought a very original 2 owner unmolested TR3B last month and it has several Amco aftermarket parts on it.

One part I've never seen before but believe it is something period correct are these 2 dash mounted chrome covers with a slot in them. They have a 1/4 turn twist lock and can be detached from the base which is screwed to the dash.

The slot is clocked facing up. My first reaction was these are ash trays. I removed the covers and they had change inside them, maybe used for toll roads?

Anyone on this forum seen these before? They had the name "Barycle" England in like a script writing stamped on the face of them.

GH

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0640.JPG    56.8 KB
IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG    32.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
I believe it’s a Barnacle ashtray from the UK. Not had one personally but would think it would be a decent change holder too.

One example:
http://www.uk-yorozu-collection.com/carparts/cargoods/barnacle-ashtray-2/

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
All my ash trays served as change trays.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Interesting item - definitely an ashtray - has the little tab for tapping the ash off and perhaps the usual spots of corrosion inside from use.

Lots of variations -

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=635&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=69kdW7OdFOe_0PEPuNqvgAw&q=barnacle+ashtray&oq=barnacle+ashtray&gs_l=img.3...71361.73862.0.74470.9.9.0.0.0.0.169.1037.0j8.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..1.2.301...0i7i30k1.0.GZgRynwp4eo

Nice car BTW. Very nice.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Looks period correct but have not seen any like them. Wouldn't put them in a new restoration but do like the way look in your car.
Marv

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1539752 by mgruber921 Looks period correct but have not seen any like them. Wouldn't put them in a new restoration but do like the way look in your car.
Marv

Been around these cars my entire adult life and never seen these. I guess back in the 60's when smoking was the accepted thing they were kinda cool. I agree in a restoration I'd leave them off.

Not sure exactly what I plan to do with this car. It's really too nice to restore and it runs better than most restorations do.

Bought this car from a car flipper in the N/E. Good dude to deal with and I bought it right. When it arrived off the truck it ran like crap, actually wouldn't stay running. Spent a half hour with it and found #2 valve had .08" of lash, made all kinds of racket. Reset the lash and balanced the carbs, now it runs awesome.

It's the 75th TCF model built, most likely the first and second day of production.

GH

Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
I too am lucky enough to have just purchased a TRB! The more I dig into mine the more I realize it too is quite unmolested. Those do look like ashtrays! I would not remove them as it would appear they are period correct. Kinda KOOL. I have what is apparently,from research, a factory ashtray mounted on the passenger side under the dash. It’s on a slide and the facing is a black Bakelite finish. I thought it was quite ugly and removed it. Now it turns out it’s an original option( perhaps dealer installed) ! I’m rethinking the fact that I removed it.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540363 by Tobyallen I too am lucky enough to have just purchased a TRB! The more I dig into mine the more I realize it too is quite unmolested. Those do look like ashtrays! I would not remove them as it would appear they are period correct. Kinda KOOL. I have what is apparently,from research, a factory ashtray mounted on the passenger side under the dash. It’s on a slide and the facing is a black Bakelite finish. I thought it was quite ugly and removed it. Now it turns out it’s an original option( perhaps dealer installed) ! I’m rethinking the fact that I removed it.

Yes, a bit awkwardly placed but kind of unique...don’t see them very often. You should put it back in place.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Attachments:
4A880317-58F1-4108-A9EF-90A08DB04FB7.jpeg    47.6 KB
4A880317-58F1-4108-A9EF-90A08DB04FB7.jpeg

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I saw one of the bakelite ash trays on fleabay a while back. Believe $200 was the asking price

Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
$200 for the Bakelite ashtray!!! And if it’s the same as mine it’s butt ugly!! I think Robert ‘s are KOOL. No matter, whatever the type, they don’t make ‘em anymore so makes them kind of special. My wife is a smoker but she’s not allowed to in my TR. Regardless, I do believe I’m going to put mine back in If for no other reason than the uniqueness!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Triumph 10 Estate Wagon

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links