AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Water pumps.
  This topic is about my 1960 Triumph TR3A
KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Any thoughts on TR3a water pumps? How long do they usually last after the noises start? And as for replacement .. Moss advertises an 'uprated 6-blade model'. Is it worth the few extra $$s, or is the base model just fine?
Any advice much appreciated, as always!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I'd say it varies a lot, meaning you might get a few more months out of it, or it could seize tomorrow.

I've tried both 5 and 6 vane pumps when I was having cooling problems; they didn't seem to make a difference for me. I'm back to using a stock pump & pulley from TRF, which works just fine in combination with the other changes I made before finding the real problem.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Thanks Randall .. looks like a stock pump should be fine, as there are no cooling issues. I'm planning to leave on a road-trip next week, so perhaps I need to order one of these to carry with me .. with my luck, it'll be the shorter end of the seizing estimate!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Simon,

Even if your pump were not making noise I would carry a spare in the event of pump failure. Perhaps I am a bit overcautious but I once had to remove/rebuild/reinstall a pump on an isolated part of I-89 in Vermont in almost total darkness. It was no fun and thankfully I had a second damaged and used pump in the trunk that I was able to cannibalize.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
That's quite an experience, Barry .. reminds me of an 'issue' I had with a bypass hose on my Mini in a dust storm in Wyoming! Good advice to carry a spare .. I'm picking one up on Monday.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
My engine is warmed up a bit with compression and displacement increases along with a cam. I get along fine with the stock pump. What's really important with centrifugal water pumps is the impeller vane clearance. You might want to read through this thread.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1537423 by KingstonO Any thoughts on TR3a water pumps? How long do they usually last after the noises start?

...I'm planning to leave on a road-trip next week.

I can't quite grasp this approach. Yes, a spare one is good (I always take one along on road trips) but swapping it whenever and wherever the old one fails does not appeal to me.

I so much prefer to work in my well-lit, dry, close to the kitchen and bathroom garage with all the tools at hand that I simply wouldn't leave with a water pump that is already making noise.

Being prepared to work on the car along the side of the road, at night, in the rain is one thing but relying on that when something seems inevitable is more adventure that I really need.

Apart from the primary task (changing out a water pump) things can go wrong whenever you work on a car (broken bits, pulley fouls on new pump, hose fails, gasket leaks, pump is stuck on - rams radiator when it busts loose, blood, etc) and I'd rather deal with all that at home if I can.

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1537796 by Geo Hahn Apart from the primary task (changing out a water pump) things can go wrong whenever you work on a car (broken bits, pulley fouls on new pump, hose fails, gasket leaks, pump is stuck on - rams radiator when it busts loose, blood, etc) and I'd rather deal with all that at home if I can.
Not to mention the chance the pulley will part ways with the old pump when it fails; dropping a big chunk of steel into metal fan blades spinning just a fraction of an inch from a very fragile radiator.

Randall

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
You need to replace that water pump before leaving on your trip. Not doing it now may cause you a lot of grief and extra expense. My water pumps all had grease fittings. Make sure you grease the new pump with water pump grease if it's dry. My new pumps purchased years ago, were not shipped pre-greased.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
I'm making excuses (1. Not sure whether the noises really do indicate imminent failure, and if if it ain't broke ..... : and 2. Pushed for time before etd: and 3. Maybe it'll sort itself out if I don't interfere, etc.) but I do appreciate your comments, and realize that the advice is sound, and I should be following it!

Thanks, all, for the input!

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
My Magic 8 Ball says...

But I wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

TR3driver Randall Y
I've used Outlook, and I have to say I agree!

Randall

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Ha! Fingers tightly crossed. Perhaps I'll post again when we're home smiling smiley

KingstonO Avatar
KingstonO Simon Oliver
Geo .. I think your Magic 8 Ball may be due for service .. missing a little in terms of water pumps, but still running well when it comes to electrical gremlins! But then perhaps the pump was fine because I bought a new, spare one and a fan belt, before the trip. It never seems to rain when you carry an umbrella.
Approx. 750 miles at 33 mpg, and just as much fun as ever!

Attachments:
Squamish + road-trip, June '18 007.JPG    65.8 KB
Squamish + road-trip, June '18 007.JPG

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Well done - and glad to here it is going fine.

I like a traditional motel over the modern chains every time.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster