Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3SE Roger Martensson
Knivsta, Uppsala, Sweden   SWE
1959 Triumph TR3A "Trajjan"
Hi, I have a problem with oil smoke, after a complete review of the engine with new pistons and wet lining, the new oil pump created a pressure of 70-80 psi, in idling mode, which is to high, the high oil presure has been fixed, and the piston rings has been checked, but the engine still starts to smoke if rpm goes over 1000 rpm/min.
crankcase breather works.

What could cause this oil smoke?

Br Roger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3155.jpg    18.8 KB
IMG_3155.jpg

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
When you say new pistons and liners...were they a guaranteed matched set.....also who put the engine together, regarding correct ring gaps etc.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The two basic paths for oil to get into the cylinders are past the rings or past the intake valve guides.

If replacing the rings caused the problem, then almost certainly there is a problem with the new rings; end gaps too large, oil control ring not installed properly (we've had several threads on 3 piece oil rings not working because the center spacer was overlapped), rings sticking in the piston lands, etc.

But if it was burning oil before and new rings did not change the problem, my guess is that the valve guides (particularly intake guides) are worn out. Did you by any chance add an external oil feed to the rocker shaft, or make any other changes in that area?

As a side comment, 70-80 psi at cold idle is not unreasonable for a fresh motor. That is where the oil pressure regulator (aka pressure relief valve) is supposed to open. But it if maintains that pressure once it has warmed up, your oil is probably too thick. Not likely to affect how much oil the engine burns, as the leak points I mentioned before are not exposed to oil pressure. But it does waste power, aggravate foaming issues and potentially even shear off the drive tang to the oil pump. So thinner oil (preferably multi-weight, especially in colder climates) would be better. Eg, 10W30 (or even 5W30) rather than straight 30 weight (or the 20W50 I use).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I would run a compression check.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533444 by TR3driver ...oil control ring not installed properly (we've had several threads on 3 piece oil rings not working because the center spacer was overlapped)...

That is so easy to do (wrong) on some of the oil control ring designs.

TR3SE Roger Martensson
Many thanks for the answers, interesting reading, the engine is almost new inside with all the new parts, new wet inline cylinder and pistons, crankshaft grinded to fit new bearings, new oilpump, new camshaft with bearings, new cam sprocket etc.

However last spring I dismounted the four pistons for a first check, after the year before engine repair, and I had simounted the pistons I found that some of the compressions rings "TOP" marking, were upside down mounted by myself, SHIT!, at that time I thought this was the root to this problem.
But after starting up the engine again, the problem with oil smoke remained, at Idle mode 800 RPM almost ok, but over 1500 RPM it starts to smoke oil as hell.
One important thing which I didn’t do last year, was to measure the gap in the cylinder for all the rings.
The cylinder head is of aluminum, Moss replacement part, with valve guides for lead-free petrol, the owner before me had changed this, so this hasn’t been checked by me at all, Frankly I doesn't know how the valve guides conditions are at this point.
Regarding external oil feed, I’ve mounted an oil-cooler, direct after I had mounted the engine back into the car, I’m been thinking about if this oil-cooler part, could this be the reason, but I don’t think so.
The reseller of these piston package with wet inline, hasn’t received any complaints from other customers.
One problem is that the engine was quite worn out when I bought my TR3A/59, except the aluminum cylinder-head, which means that the engine even before this big over haul, smoked oil, but not as much as now, hmm.
So what's left to check again are the rings, and the valve guides.
The compression now on all four cylinders are between 13 - 13.5 P.S.I
Before piston chang on all cylinders 8.0 / 8.5 / 6.0 / 9.0/ P.S.I

The facts was that this 59 Ferguson engine in my TR3A needed an total over haul.

Regards Roger / Stockholm / Knivsta

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533606 by TR3SE The compression now on all four cylinders are between 13 - 13.5 P.S.I
Before piston chang on all cylinders 8.0 / 8.5 / 6.0 / 9.0/ P.S.I

I think you are using bar rather than PSI (e.g. 13 bar = 189 psi) -- just wanted to avoid getting things confused here.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
You mentioned “external oil feed”. Do you have a modification on the head wbich includes an extra external oil pipe feeding the rocker shaft?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

TR3SE Roger Martensson
Yes you're correct it's BAR not PSI, my misstake /Roger

TR3SE Roger Martensson
No it's an standard head, except that's an aluminum, nothing extra has been installed in terms of oil pipe.
Rocker shaft with lifters hasn't been changed, I think it's in quite good shape, compared to the rest of the engine.

/Roger 59 TR3A

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster