AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tr3hardtop Avatar
tr3hardtop Colin Gentle
Bethel, CT, USA   USA
In a Zerk quandary!
My TR3A clutch cross shaft is fitted with a Zerk fitting on the drivers side, the same size Zerk is supposed to be also fitted on the passenger side end. My cross shaft has a much smaller threaded hole on that end. This could have been cobbled together with a later TR4 shaft ? Or...Moss mentions a shaft with no grease fittings. Anybody else have a similar situation and does it really need a fitting on that end if so what size?
Cheers,
Colin
1961 TR3A TS/81208-L-O

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
clutch cross shaft.jpg    33 KB
clutch cross shaft.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I think that shaft did originally have a zerk there, but something is plugging the hole. Very likely the remains of a broken zerk.

The zerk is obviously not essential, since it was deleted on later cars. Still, it would be my preference to restore it somehow, so you can lube that joint occasionally. They do wear faster without an occasional shot of grease.

But, I wouldn't pull it apart just for that; and I don't see it as critical enough to try doing anything with it still in the car. So my suggestion is to wait until the gearbox is out for some other reason (next clutch job, maybe) and deal with it then.

FWIW, here's how I added zerks to the Stag (which doesn't really have room for them on the shaft)

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

tr3hardtop Avatar
tr3hardtop Colin Gentle
Bethel, CT, USA   USA
Thanks Randall,
There doesn't appear to be any thing plugging the hole, I can slide a small diameter wooden dowel in there.
I think I'll go with your plan to wait until a later date, I'll squeeze a little grease in there and add a small screw just to seal it up.
Cheers,
Colin
1961 TR3A TS/81208-L-O

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1526931 by tr3hardtop I'll squeeze a little grease in there and add a small screw just to seal it up.

Is it threaded? Might it be possible to simply thread a Zerk into it?

I seem to recall some Zerks are in two pieces with the larger threaded portion being a base into which a smaller threaded portion is fitted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links