Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, FL, USA   USA
I am in need of a rebuild on this tranny. It has a broken first gear and I have already replaced this transmission with a Toyota 5-speed, but want this one fixed before I sell it...

Is anyone aware of someone in the Tampa Bay area who can do the work?

Sparrow British Auto in Land o Lakes has shut down.

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CFMTR3A Avatar
CFMTR3A Carl M
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
Try calling Glen's mg in St Pete. Another option would be Tskuris Classics in Lakeland. Sorry I don't have the number for either but they should be easy enough to get. Also this Saturday the Tampa Bay British car club is having a Club Drive that starts out at the McDonald's at 54 and 41 which is not too far from you. There is a possibility that there are individual club members who have the knowledge and skill set to help you out or give you other leads. Departure time is 10 a.m. but I'm sure members will be arriving early to grab a bite to eat. Phil is the club president but we are all a friendly bunch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 10:10 AM by CFMTR3A.

triumphrick Avatar
Thanks for the heads up. I seem to remember your club. I was an original member of the Triumph Standard Motor Club out of St Pete back in the day. When they dissolved, several members came over and joined you folks..

I will try to drop by there this Saturday...and yes, it is right down the road from us.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Brad Orndorf in Fort Myers builds mine. PM fo number
Marv

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
hi rick - if you find you need a first gear assembly i happen to have a N.O.S. stanpart 1st gear assembly that has never been installed for sale
- i believe moss # is 845-000 that is $650us
-my N.O.S. one is $300us

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Years ago there was a company named Vinco in Atlanta area that did British car transmissions. They later relocated to FLA. A quick Google search shows a Vinco in the Jacksonville area. Not exactly close to you, but its an alternative.

triumphrick Avatar
Thanks to all who have posted and replied...

Not sure if the first gear is broken or the idler gear..it has a skip in first and reverse.

I can and have rebuilt several TR motors..but just dont care to crack open the transmission if I can find someone nearby who has the skills and time.

It has been at a local shop for the past three months and I am wanting to go grab it before it collects more dust there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links