Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DonP Avatar
DonP Don P
Frankfort, IL, USA   USA
I've been looking online at new tires for the TR6 5.5 inch wire wheels on my '62 TR3B for a couple of weeks now.

Most of what I've been looking at are 185/70 x 15 for the wires.

Definitely slim and/or expensive tire pickings out there.

But lots of choices, if you slide down to a 185/65 x 15 profile. But in several recent tire threads here, I haven't seen anyone suggesting that profile as an option. Must be a reason?

I've read that the 185/70 profile combination matches the original tire/wheel set up within 1%.

How far off will my speedometer/odometer be with a 185/65 profile?

(Not even worried about the spare, I have a 4.5 inch 48 spoke wire wheel for that and will pick up a 165 x 15 radial as a spare, to replace the bias ply that's in there now. The spare tire area on a 3B is a little "roomier" than on the older cars.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
According to this tire size calculator, the difference between stock and 185/65-15 is about -3.6%.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518724 by ArtL According to this tire size calculator, the difference between stock and 185/65-15 is about -3.6%.
Which, assuming your speedo is perfectly accurate otherwise, would mean it would read high by about 2.5 mph at 70 mph. Hardly enough to worry about in my book (but I'm the guy running 205/55 tires).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr4bob Bob Krivenko
Mt. Holly Springs, PA, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Annie"
Hello There: Perhaps this subject has already been posted but here goes anyway. Moss motors is having their sale going on at the moment and I want to buy chrome wire wheels for my 57 tr3. Looking at the moss web site I see that they are listing MWS dunlop style wheels. In doing some research, MWS stands for motor wheel service company with their company address listed in England. My question is: Are these the wheels that are built in India and are they troublesome or Junk? Should I even consider buying these wheels or has anyone have any experience with this product? Should they be checked for being True before mounting any tires on them? Any information would be helpful with my decision. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-15 02:27 PM by tr4bob.

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
before you buy tires have a look at the "longstone tyre" website in uk

-good price on original 165 SR15 michelin xzx 96 GBP delivered to your door

-i have these on all my cars - 2 tr3's and my morgan 4/4 which i sold

wonderful tire - great road handling and quiet as well as a nice smooth ride

i believe these are the original size for tr3's

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1519244 by tr4bob Hello There: Perhaps this subject has already been posted but here goes anyway. Moss motors is having their sale going on at the moment and I want to buy chrome wire wheels for my 57 tr3. Looking at the moss web site I see that they are listing MWS dunlop style wheels. In doing some research, MWS stands for motor wheel service company with their company address listed in England. My question is: Are these the wheels that are built in India and are they troublesome or Junk? Should I even consider buying these wheels or has anyone have any experience with this product? Should they be checked for being True before mounting any tires on them? Any information would be helpful with my decision. Thanks.
Bob, you might want to start a new thread with this new question. You'll get more readers that way, and possibly even some more answers.

Sorry I can't answer directly. I bought mine from Dayton in Ohio through Valley Wire Wheel (in Van Nuys, CA). Whatever the other merits, Dayton makes it clear where their wheels are made; while I couldn't find any direct mention on the MWS website, except for the history entry
"1982 : First batch of wheels are produced by Wheels India Ltd"

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster