AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3A Instrument Panel Wiring
  This topic is about my 1958 Triumph TR3A
Rupert Bayer Rupert B
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK   GBR
Hi, If anyone has pictures of the rear of the instrument panel showing all the wiring plus all the ground/earth wires / shunts / jumpers / daisy chains, I would be
very grateful.

I'm currently installing a new wiring harness and find the wiring diagram that I have falls short (or maybe that's just me!) - I'm using the Autowire tr24a.pdf.

Any other wiring diagrams would be very welcome.

The car is a 1958 TR3A (circa TS 27250) UK right-hand drive. I'm also changing to negative ground/earth.

Many Thanks, Rupert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Sorry, it's such a rat's nest under there that I've never bothered trying to take a good photo of everything. But here is one that shows a couple of (non-original) features on my own car

At the top is the in-line fuse for the overdrive relay, which protects both wiring and the solenoid itself (in case the pull-in contacts don't open for some reason).

To the left of that is the original in-line fuse holder for the tail lights. The clip is hard to see, but normally it clips to the lower edge of the fascia panel.

Near the middle, the shunt I added so I could use the original ammeter with a 60 amp alternator. Not required if you are still using the original generator.

Then on the bottom right, the ground I added for the fuel gauge. Not shown is where it attaches to the ground tie point just to the left (I was stripping the car and had already disconnected all the ground wires).

Here's another wiring diagram that might be helpful. I don't know if your car would have originally had the in-line fuse for the tail lights; but it's a worthwhile addition, IMO. Note the terminal numbers on the wiper motor, they are important.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 06:33 PM by TR3driver.

Rupert Bayer Rupert B
Thank you Randall, that's really helpful, plus the wiring diagram is much better than the one I was using.
I'll certainly add those in-line fuses.
Much Appreciated
Rupert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trusty Paul Monette
Bad Homburg, Hessen, Germany   DEU
I don’t remember how it came about but I have a new, still in the pack, wiring harness for a TR3A. Anyone know if it can be used on a ‘57 TR3? Thanks, Paul

TR3driver Randall Y
Should be no problem, not much enough electrical difference between the cars. If it's early 57 with only 3 lamps in the rear, you might have to modify the wire to the center brake light slightly.

Randall

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
And if the harness is for a post-TS60000 car you may have some Lucar connectors to cut off or to change to ring terminals -- no big deal.

TR3driver Randall Y
Oops, good point, Geo. For some reason I thought I read early TR3A, but that's not what he said.

Randall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 07:24 AM by TR3driver.

Rupert Bayer Rupert B
1958 TR3A UK right-hand drive (circa TS27250)
Re the two in-line fuses (lighting and overdrive), what size (amps) is recommended?
The car has just two fuses at the moment in the standard fuse box, 35 amp and 50 amp, UK glass fuses.
I am also going to install an alternator in place of the generator/dynamo.

Cheers, Rupert

TR3driver Randall Y
You probably know this, but JIC : those fuse ratings are in an obsolete system; if you use modern fuses they should have about 1/2 the rating. So 15 and 25 amps instead of 25 and 50.

The book calls for the tail light fuse to be 25 amps in that old system; I use an AGC 10.
For the overdrive, I have an MDL 8 (mostly because I had a bunch of them on hand), but I believe even an AGC 5 would do.

Randall

Rupert Bayer Rupert B
Thanks again Randall
Rupert

Drolli Carl Drolshagen
Soerup, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany   DEU
Hi Rupert,

this pictures I have taken from a original untuched wiring loom from a 1960 TR3a,
cheers Carl

Attachments:
SCAN0019.JPG    31.6 KB
SCAN0019.JPG

SCAN0041.JPG    42.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
SCAN0046.JPG    37.7 KB
SCAN0049.JPG    39.7 KB
Rupert Bayer Rupert B
Thank you Carl, your pictures are really helpful.

Cheers, Rupert

cdozois Avatar
cdozois Gold Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, FL, USA   USA
On the off chance that this might be of value, I've attached a fuse conversion chart I keep on my garage wall.
craig

Attachments:
fuse.jpeg    62.8 KB
fuse.jpeg

Rupert Bayer Rupert B
Thank you Craig, that's very good information - it could save someone's car . . .
Cheers
Rupert

6TTR3A Frank Conklin
San Diego,CA, USA   USA
Will this help?

Attachments:
RHD Rear.jpg    38.3 KB
RHD  Rear.jpg

Loom to facia..jpg    47.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster