AutoShrine Sponsor

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Hi all, am refreshing the motor and a couple of things came up.

First, which way around should the brush go? I assume the ridged side towards the commutator with the ridges parallel to the armature as a whole? To help them wear in quicker? I've never seen brushes that have ridges before.

Second, I tried soaking the new grommets in very hot water, still not incredibly flexible. What have you all done to install these?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WP_20180208_14_27_18_Rich.jpg    17.2 KB
WP_20180208_14_27_18_Rich.jpg

WP_20180208_14_26_16_Rich.jpg    15.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
I think you're right about the direction of the brushes but it has been so many years I cannot be 100% sure.

Some give up the fight and just slice the grommets in half horizontally to fit them.

My wiper motor worked fine for 40+ years - when I opened it to replace the red wire I found an unused brush lying in the bottom of the housing - the motor had been running all that time on just the bracket that holds the brush riding against the commutator. That is one tough motor.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
LOL I asked tbe same grommet question here not too long ago!

Don't give up and slice them. I ended up soaking them in nearly boiling water, squeezing the end down with channel locks, and using a small, square blade screwdriver, along with some silicone grease, to persuade them in place. Don't let the screwdriver slip.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1512217 by grubscrew LOL I asked tbe same grommet question here not too long ago!

Don't give up and slice them. I ended up soaking them in nearly boiling water, squeezing the end down with channel locks, and using a small, square blade screwdriver, along with some silicone grease, to persuade them in place. Don't let the screwdriver slip.

Spoke to a scientist/friend of mine, who looked up the properties of the grommet material. he said to boil it full rolling boil for 5 minutes, then try with lube. Will try that plus channel locks and screwdriver tomorrow, let you know.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
I am not going to do this but I thought about it. Silicon brake fluid has about double the boiling point of water. The grommet per my friend likely is made of material that can withstand something south of 254 degrees.....

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
I would think smooth side contacting the commutator. I have never seen ridges riding on a commutator before...they appear to be there to help center the brush on the spring.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
Ok, here is how I put them in. Cut a sm all wedge out, squished it to get it started, turned it to kind of screw it in. And used a small screwdriver to help keep the groove engaging

Attachments:
WP_20180209_11_40_33_Rich.jpg    14.4 KB
WP_20180209_11_40_33_Rich.jpg

WP_20180209_11_43_14_Rich.jpg    18.2 KB
WP_20180209_11_45_28_Rich.jpg    17.3 KB
WP_20180209_11_40_44_Rich.jpg    26.4 KB
BillyB62 Bill Hall
Moosup, CT, USA   USA
I was successful using a tiny screwdriver as well. Tried the other ways without luck.

Bill
TS63273L

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Lots easier to just slice them; worked fine for me. I was worried they might slip, but once it was all assembled, I could not force them out of place.

IMO the protrusions on the brushes are because they are from some other application. Big motor brushes sometimes have very small grooves to help them bed in quicker (without being ground to the exact diameter of the commutator), but nothing like that photo.
Ideally, you should contour the brushes to the commutator before operation, but at a minimum, I would put the flat side against the commutator.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
Thanks all. Motor is back together and ready to install it in the car. The bracket does not align with the three holes on the firewall/fender. It looks like if I bend it/force it it will. Am I missing something? It has been awhile since I removed it and I don't remember if it was a force fit

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I don't believe it should be a force fit; but the bracket may need some tweaking to line up.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links