TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I replaced the Air Flow Meter in my TR7, I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist that was removed from a low mileage car. I removed the cover to clean the variable resister tracks and was very pleased to see that the unit looked like new. This repair was responsible for the single greatest improvement to both power and performance in my 7; prior to this repair, my car always struggled to get up to speed and once there, the car struggled to maintain it. I have always just chalked the car’s poor performance to the 90 hp engine. Honestly, the difference is night and day and I am just thrilled with the improvement.

At the same time, I replaced the worn out throttle cable; it was sticking and really beginning to annoy me. The new cable was difficult to find, took awhile but I finally found one on Craigslist. Now the throttle is smooth at the day the car was born.

Amazing how a couple simple repairs can make all of the difference, one minute I'm thinking about giving up on this PIA, next minute I'm enjoying every second behind the wheel!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
SAM_1283.JPG    41.6 KB
SAM_1283.JPG

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1501880 by Rburgess I replaced the Air Flow Meter in my TR7, I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist that was removed from a low mileage car. I removed the cover to clean the variable resister tracks and was very pleased to see that the unit looked like new. This repair was responsible for the single greatest improvement to both power and performance in my 7; prior to this repair, my car always struggled to get up to speed and once there, the car struggled to maintain it. I have always just chalked the car’s poor performance to the 90 hp engine. Honestly, the difference is night and day and I am just thrilled with the improvement.

At the same time, I replaced the worn out throttle cable; it was sticking and really beginning to annoy me. The new cable was difficult to find, took awhile but I finally found one on Craigslist. Now the throttle is smooth at the day the car was born.

Amazing how a couple simple repairs can make all of the difference, one minute I'm thinking about giving up on this PIA, next minute I'm enjoying every second behind the wheel!

Randy:

After you go through this a couple of times, it really improves your self confidence not to mention your sense of accomplishment. I find this is every bit as important to me as the actual driving pleasure I receive from the car.

I find I must remind myself that I am dealing with a 40 year old car that has not been well maintained for at least 20 of those years. Having things wear out and break is to be expected. Hoses go bad, visors sag, things get ratty. So I find myself replacing things that are old even though they are still functioning, just to avoid a future problem. Of course, with the quality of some replacement parts for these cars, that gets risky as well.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

erictr6 Avatar
erictr6 eric l
Denver, NC, USA   USA
Vance,
really do agree with your last comment.

I find I must remind myself that I am dealing with a 40 year old car that has not been well maintained for at least 20 of those years. Having things wear out and break is to be expected. Hoses go bad, visors sag, things get ratty. So I find myself replacing things that are old even though they are still functioning, just to avoid a future problem. Of course, with the quality of some replacement parts for these cars, that gets risky as well.

Though my PO did take reasonablecare of the 8.

Enjoy the Ride!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Thank you for your words of encouragement, I agree with them. Think that I’ll have my wife read your comments, she doesn’t get it! She “puts up” with my car because she loves me but why I enjoy it the way that I do is a mystery to her. LOL

Dan B Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV, USA   USA
You won't be able to do sequential injection with the V6 though. Doesn't the stock controller do that? What about the variable valve timing? Can Speeduino handle that?
I considered that engine before I decided on the 1uz. It should be a good conversion.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, NS, Canada   CAN
I think a click on my user ID gets you to my homepage and journal. Will post direct link later.
Yes speeduino is arduino mega based. An aussie chap developed it . Very interesting stuff .

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
You won't be able to do sequential injection with the V6 though.
-- speeduino allows for sfi but it currently only has 4 injector rivers so I'm going to have to rewire and batch fire a la megasquirt.

Doesn't the stock controller do that?
-- It will but the stock controller appears to be a bit of a busy body requiring me to bugger about with drive by wire , maf and all kinds of foolishness. Unless I get it reprogrammed. Either ways its $ and workarounds. I'd rather go diy efi and fully understand and control the setup.

What about the variable valve timing?
-- no vvt on an lx9 although the speeduino is apparently able to deal with that. Note that GM does make (post 2006 or thereabouts) and 3900 LZ9-derived 3500 with VVT. However this engine is quite different to the LX9.

-- speeduino is kinda new but my research says it works with the stock gm 24x crank reluctor etc. As for the lx9 I have to mess with the manifolds etc but no biggies. More info on my project pages. Will add link later.

Edit: Here's the link. It is available via my homepage.
Not much there at the moment as Im just tooling up.
However there is some initial info on the engine mount locations and other info-by-eyeball aspects.
http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/carltr7/16559

-- yes should be a fun conversion, but maybe not as much fun as a 1uz. I may need less butter. We'll see grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-10 08:11 AM by carltr7.

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Wouldn’t you be better off with micro squirt? Not sure how much function it has. But I run MS3 pro in both my wedges, and it has tons of I/O

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
I did. Couldn’t find any link.

In reply to # 1502109 by carltr7 I think a click on my user ID gets you to my homepage and journal. Will post direct link later.
Yes speeduino is arduino mega based. An aussie chap developed it . Very interesting stuff .

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
In reply to # 1502158 by parrisw I did. Couldn’t find any link.

In reply to # 1502109 by carltr7 I think a click on my user ID gets you to my homepage and journal. Will post direct link later.

Weird. I just did it and there it was. Anyhoo:
http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/carltr7/16559

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
In reply to # 1502157 by parrisw Wouldn’t you be better off with micro squirt? Not sure how much function it has. But I run MS3 pro in both my wedges, and it has tons of I/O

Maybe. But then we have no way to know unless we buy one of each and use them side by side.
The *Squirts have longer history for sure and I run an MS1 in my current rig.
I like the MS1 wayyy better than futzing with the stuck ECU.
But something odd has happened to the *Squirts price wise.
Im seeing microsquirt advertised here for 355$US. Thats getting on for 500$CA at my door. Its even more the for MS3.
Even the MS1 kit with v3 PCB is now 230$ US (towards $300 CA) and thats on a REALLY old CPU.

By comparison, the speeduino is open source, open hardware, runs on a 32bit cheap-as-chips arduino processor and comes in at less than half the price of a microsquirt with all the features I want.

That will give me experience of an MS1 and a Speeduino side by side on the same car and similar engines at roughly the same price point. I think that will be as much of an apples to apples comparison as I can provide to the community.

What I would say, and I think we can agree on this, is DIY EFIs like ours might be an answer for TR7/8 owners with problematic OEM EFIs.

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
Lads:

Well, I considered all the great advice, but I am sticking with an A/C heater box for a rather unusual reason. One goal was to get a car that the wife would want to drive somewhere with me. I had a fully restored TR6, and she would NOT get in that car with me. Too small, too scary, too uncomfortable.

Enter the wedge, larger, more comfortable, hopefully more wife friendly. My wife feels that if a car does not have air bags and anti-lock brakes, it is a death trap and the coroner will need to identify our remains from our dental work. Well, not much I can do about that. But better seat belts, more room and A/C make it feel more like a modern car, and I am determined to hear her say "Honey, let's go for a drive". Probably futile...

OK, thought about cutting away the corroded part and replacing it with hose. It is a just a bit too close to the manifold end of the pipe, I was not certain I could get a good grip with a hose clamp if I did that, not enough meat left on the pipe once I cut away the grot. Hmm.

Went looking for some 9/16" copper tubing to bend up a new one, but 9/16 is not readily available unless I want to buy a 100 foot roll. My neighbor has a MIG and a TIG, but he felt welding it was out of the question. It was so corroded he felt he would blow through the metal trying to close up the pinholes.

So, broke out the JB weld, and laid down a generous coating over the corroded area. That stuff is impressive. Gave it a single wrap of epoxy tape up to the point where the hose clamp would go. Between the clamp and the tape, the epoxy will be held tightly against the pipe. While I was in there, I sealed the original rubber seal for the heater matrix with a skim of Permatex non-hardening sealant - I don't want any leaks there, either. Pressure checked it, good to go.

I am now reinstalling the heater box. I have previously installed a new expansion valve, and replaced all the foam gaskets on the dampers, cleaned/lubed the motor, and painted the box in wrinkle finish black.

With all of that, I am waiting for it to blow a seal while I am in the car, and getting scalded by hot coolant. <sigh> If there was ever a shade tree mechanic who should be named "Ziggy" it's me.eye popping smiley

Well, let's see if my luck runs true to form on this little piece of ghetto engineering. My experience with home made fixes like this has been less than satisfying.

Vance

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Vance,
when I rebuilt my HVAC box I found a top hat grommet that seemed perfect for the inlet to the heater (snug on the matrix not quite as snug on the tube) and added HyloMar. It leaked with in 100 miles so I disconnected it. Going to Flagstaff, 7000 feet, cold! Need to fix heater. Tear dash apart and look for way to fix it. Go to local O-ring place they have top hat bushings but nothing big enough, mention it's my birthday and fixing this would be a great present she says "it's my birthday too". It took 45 mins. but we figured out O-rings I could stack to get the depth I needed and be snug and tight were it needed to be. 3000 miles in and no leaks. Thanks, Rob

When I had the heater core built I asked them to remove that stupid lower fitting and just put on a nipple, but they were afraid to mess with the tank as they reused to original.

Attachments:
P1050795.JPG    53.7 KB
P1050795.JPG

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502440 by bowen6951 Hi Vance,
when I rebuilt my HVAC box I found a top hat grommet that seemed perfect for the inlet to the heater (snug on the matrix not quite as snug on the tube) and added HyloMar. It leaked with in 100 miles so I disconnected it. Going to Flagstaff, 7000 feet, cold! Need to fix heater. Tear dash apart and look for way to fix it. Go to local O-ring place they have top hat bushings but nothing big enough, mention it's my birthday and fixing this would be a great present she says "it's my birthday too". It took 45 mins. but we figured out O-rings I could stack to get the depth I needed and be snug and tight were it needed to be. 3000 miles in and no leaks. Thanks, Rob

When I had the heater core built I asked them to remove that stupid lower fitting and just put on a nipple, but they were afraid to mess with the tank as they reused to original.

Yeah, my experience with Hylomar has been similar. Just not tenacious enough. It is wonderful to keep gaskets from sticking, but marginal as a sealant.

The Permatex non-setting stuff is stinky, dark brown, and much more difficult to dislodge, yet cleans up nicely with lacquer thinner.

So far it has not let me down. But there is a first time for everything. sad smiley

Vance

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
I finally took my TR 8 into my mechanic for the 16 iteam list of repairs and updates. I asked if I could get the car back by Dec 22. So we will see, I also filled the trunk with just about every gasket and part I t.hought he could need. So hopefully we won't have any down time waiting for parts.
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster