AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Vance,

As it just so happens my TR-7's bi-annual smog check is once again due, oh boy! I think I've finally reached the point where I've decided that as much as I'd like to do them performance upgrades just aren't worth the trouble. You're right about the subtle modifications and while they may not be visible it still has to pass at the tailpipe. It's not that easy to predict which mods or combo of mods will put you over the limit, at which point you'll have decide which mods have to be removed to get back under the limit. Of late I have really been finding the Sprint conversion appealing, especially after seeing Nick's, but since it was never offered in California it's a no-no.

As far as the headers go you're right most of the twenty something smog techs couldn't tell a header from a headboard and have never heard of a TR-7 let alone seen one. However I had to pull the headers off my TR-7 and cobble together an original system because after passing a number of times with headers I had the bad luck to run afoul of a fifty something smog tech and he knew Brit cars. The butthead failed me on visual.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509333 by sliproc Vance,

. However I had to pull the headers off my TR-7 and cobble together an original system because after passing a number of times with headers I had the bad luck to run afoul of a fifty something smog tech and he knew Brit cars. The butthead failed me on visual.

I know California can be a pain as far as emissions is concerned but I did not think headers on an otherwise compliant engine made any difference what so ever. How in the world can a stock cast iron exhaust manifold help with emissions and conversely how can headers hurt? Assuming of course the cats are still there.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1509346 by POW
In reply to # 1509333 by sliproc Vance,

. However I had to pull the headers off my TR-7 and cobble together an original system because after passing a number of times with headers I had the bad luck to run afoul of a fifty something smog tech and he knew Brit cars. The butthead failed me on visual.

I know California can be a pain as far as emissions is concerned but I did not think headers on an otherwise compliant engine made any difference what so ever. How in the world can a stock cast iron exhaust manifold help with emissions and conversely how can headers hurt? Assuming of course the cats are still there.

The California law requires that all engine sub-systems on the car use only OEM parts, or aftermarket parts that are CARB approved.

CARB approval is expensive and time consuming, so no one is going to bother with getting the approval for aftermarket parts on a 40 year old car that sold in limited numbers. So yes, they can flunk you because you put a chrome air cleaner or a header on your car, even if it passes emissions.

Oregon is more or less the same way, except the visuals in Oregon are pretty rudimentary. They visually check for cat removal every 2 years, run a sound check if the car is too loud in the tech's opinion, and after that if it passes the sniffer test, or if the engine computer signals "all clear" then the car passes for another 2 years.

Most EU countries have programs similar to California's, although the emissions limits are a bit looser than the US federal standard. Germany is supposedly anal-retentive about non-factory parts on cars. All that means is that the German performance market does a thriving business in changes that are not visible to the naked eye.

For many cars there are factory "hi-performance" options, such as factory cold air, hi-po intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. Swapping factory hi-po parts in is a stealthy way to bump up performance, but alas, no such options for the TR7. Camshafts, compression, porting, K&N filters and exhaust work are pretty much all you can do without getting busted. You could, for example extrude-hone an exhaust manifold to get more flow, but a header does not look like an exhaust manifold, so you risk getting flunked.

I considered extrude honing, but honestly the factory TR8 exhaust manifolds are very well designed with decent sized ports and gentle swept curves, so I felt that it would be not worthwhile. I did port the heads, raise the compression, cam it, three angle valve job, and few other simple modifications, none of which are externally visible.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
Ah, the CARB. Never really thought about the expense or need involved to certify a part like this. I guess logic does not generate enough job justification. Here in NH I do not even need a visual for cats. I think they figure everything older than 20 or so years is already long gone from rust.

sliproc Avatar
I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be driving a pretty stock TR-7 which is OK since I liked the car the way it was when I originally bought it. While some performance increase can be realized with stealth upgrades I think the time, money, and effort would produce a modest performance increase only a racer could appreciate. The fact is no matter what you do, legal or illegal, there just isn't that much more HP to be extracted from that TR-7 four banger, which is probably why the V6 swap was popular or trading up to an Eight.

I would be interested to see what kind of performance Larry gets out of his highly modified four whenever he gets it installed and running.

I did solve my quest for performance after a fashion, I bought a '74 Jensen-Healey for $1500 which in stock form puts out 140hp and weighs almost 500lbs less than the TR-7 and since it's pre '75 I can make any mods I want and I don't have to get it smogged. The motor is a detuned Lotus racing engine and some JH guys have jacked their motors out to 200+ hp.

I wonder what happened to the guy who started this thread?

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509498 by sliproc
I did solve my quest for performance after a fashion, I bought a '74 Jensen-Healey for $1500 which in stock form puts out 140hp and weighs almost 500lbs less than the TR-7 and since it's pre '75 I can make any mods I want and I don't have to get it smogged. The motor is a detuned Lotus racing engine and some JH guys have jacked their motors out to 200+ hp.

Kevin:

There ya go! You found a way forward (and did an arabesque around the smog Nazis!) That's what I'm talking about....

smileys with beer

Vance

sliproc Avatar
In California we take pride in taking the fun out of everything.

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1509712 by sliproc In California we take pride in taking the fun out of everything.

Kevin,

Is that the same as "We're not happy until you are not happy"?

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 12:38 PM by TeeR8.

sliproc Avatar
Henri,

Where do you think the term "Fun Police" came from?

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509712 by sliproc In California we take pride in taking the fun out of everything.

No kidding.

I just read that under California food labeling law, coffee will now need to be labeled as carcinogenic, and have warning labels on every cup of joe that Starbucks sells.

Don't know if coffee will get an exemption carved out under that law, but crikey! The legislature is out of control in California.

Vance

JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
No, that is not accurate. There is a law suit by some group that is asking for such labeling. Apparently there is a chemical associated with the roasting of coffee that is carcinogenic but what the law suit really is directed towards is coffee makers removing the chemical.
It has nothing to do with the legislature. Google it.
JG

POW Peter Wirth
In reply to # 1510310 by JGug1 No, that is not accurate. There is a law suit by some group that is asking for such labeling. Apparently there is a chemical associated with the roasting of coffee that is carcinogenic but what the law suit really is directed towards is coffee makers removing the chemical.
JG

I think I read a while ago that the smoke produced from roasting was the issue. I tried roasting my own a few years back and WOW, there were some eye watering fumes associated with it that lasted, and lasted. Worse than a rich idling TR in your garage!

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1510310 by JGug1 No, that is not accurate. There is a law suit by some group that is asking for such labeling. Apparently there is a chemical associated with the roasting of coffee that is carcinogenic but what the law suit really is directed towards is coffee makers removing the chemical.
JG

Yes, you are correct, and thanks for the clarification.

However the lawsuit cannot exist in California without the legislature putting the chemical in question (acrylamide) on a list of suspected carcinogens. While the state is not pursuing the label on coffee, the California state legislature has required that any substance containing this (and a host of other suspected carcinogens) have a warning label attached. But your point is accurate, the legislature is not the party demanding that coffee be labeled a carcinogen.

The lawsuit you mention contends that Starbucks (and other coffee roasters) have failed to comply with the California state law. It is demanding that the label be attached, and that the coffee roasters have intentionally avoided placing the label on coffee.

Under proposition 65 in California, anyone can sue to enforce the state's cancer warning label requirement, and if they win they can keep a portion of the civil penalties that are levied. So this is really NOT about getting the chemical removed, it is about MONEY as such lawsuits so often are.

BTW, this substance is also found in French fries. So kiss your French fries goodbye if these guys win. eye popping smiley

Here is an article.

BTW, exhaust fumes are also on the list of dangerous substances, so people driving old cars (Like our TR8s) are in BIG TROUBLE. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out This leads to my custom plates "CANCER8".

Vance

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
You Guys have no idea what it's like living in California. Bullet trains to nowhere (that no one will ride), water tunnels under the Delta (to save a minnow) and $15 an hour to work at McD's. But I wouldn't live anywhere else. No snow, hurricanes, tornadoes and generally floods. Thanks, Rob

POW Peter Wirth
In reply to # 1510366 by bowen6951 You Guys have no idea what it's like living in California. Bullet trains to nowhere (that no one will ride), water tunnels under the Delta (to save a minnow) and $15 an hour to work at McD's. But I wouldn't live anywhere else. No snow, hurricanes, tornadoes and generally floods. Thanks, Rob

OK. you had to see this coming. I know all of CA is not involved but in your general area I recall hearing about "fire, fire, fire fire, followed by rain, rain, rain rain, causing mud slides and actual rivers of mud. Sooo,,, I guess we all give up something in not having to deal with other things. In NH I give up 12 month bike riding and TR driving. I have to deal with cold and snow and the crappy salted roads (we make do with other winter activities). The trade off is pretty stable seasons, the rare hurricane, the even rarer small tornado, maybe, and the occasional 30 acre brush fire that makes big news. Oh and the 2.8 - 3 magnitude earthquake every once in a while. We do have floods though. - Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links